Low friction wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently converted my racing 4wheeler front hubs from roller ball bearings to tappered roller bearings with a race for each bearing. I packed them initially with Mobil One grease; now it's time to repack. It occured to me there is probably a better grease alternative than Mobil One grease in a tube. What are my options for a low friction grease that I could use on wheel bearings? I prefer grease in a tube so I can use my pnuematic grease gun to pack the bearings.

I like to use marine grease on my ATV's. I found over the years that it seems to stick around longer than generic wheel bearing grease that i used to use I have a utility ATV and it sees water alot. Maybe for you racing, water insnt an issue as much.

M1 grease seem about as low friction as ther is for the greases rating. Is the bearing conversion done because the tapered roller bearings are stronger?

I retired from a machine shop that that repaired industrial equiptment. One job we often did was to repair and pack the bearings in planitary gears for a copper foundry. The only grease we found that held up to the heat this unit operated in was M1 grease.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
M1 grease seem about as low friction as ther is for the greases rating. Is the bearing conversion done because the tapered roller bearings are stronger?

Oh yes. This quad is XC raced which means lots of abuse. I like the idea of a significant ammount more bearing surface area on tappered roller bearings over roller ball bearings. I have on real proof, only intuition.

I also like the idea that I can repack them once in a while to help maintain peak performance.

I do not know of a friction rating for grease, could you point me in the right direction to research that?

For an over the counter grease, you would be hard pressed to find a better grease for your application than the one you are using. I would stick with it.

Thanks Johnny...and it's easy to find to boot. Just checking to make sure I didn't overlook the obvious right under my nose. I use the Mobil grease all over the chassis on my Raptor too. It has lots of needle bearings in the suspension linkages that take a pounding too. I actually feel pretty good about the Mobil One grease, especially now.

Mobil SHC 220 is a good high performance grease...among other applications McLaren uses it in the wheel bearings of their Formula 1 cars.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Mobil SHC 220 is a good high performance grease...among other applications McLaren uses it in the wheel bearings of their Formula 1 cars.

Cool, thanks for the tip. If it's good enough for F1, then it's good enough for me, or something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back