low beams for 1993 300ZX convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

One of my low beams went out on the 1993 300ZX convertible I recently bought. What do I want to get?

I've seen stuff abut HID, HIR changing a 9006 to 9005, and it's hard to sort out! I'm not that mechanically inclined and don't have tools so hoping for something that's not too tricky to install. Thanks for any advice you have.

Stick with stock bulbs. I`ve since replaced both of my low beams. OEM`s were either Hitachi or Toshiba.

Originally Posted By: 300ZX_topless
I've seen stuff abut HID, HIR changing a 9006 to 9005, and it's hard to sort out! I'm not that mechanically inclined and don't have tools so hoping for something that's not too tricky to install.

So why are you looking at anything other than just replacing the bulbs? Install a pair of 9006's THAT AREN'T TINTED BLUE and be done with it. Yes, both of them.

Your Nissan takes HB4 low beams, which are commonly known as 9006 in the United States. Your best bet for good value bulbs and ease of installation are Sylvania Xtravision or Philips Vision Plus. They're usually available for low cost (the Sylvanias are less than $20 for the pair at Walmart) and require no modifications to use.

Replace both at the same time and keep your other working one as a spare.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Your best bet for good value bulbs and ease of installation are Sylvania Xtravision or Philips Vision Plus. They're usually available for low cost (the Sylvanias are less than $20 for the pair at Walmart) and require no modifications to use.

Replace both at the same time and keep your other working one as a spare.

x2

Check amazon also, I've picked up the Philips for $14/pair after shipping before.
And clean/polish those headlights if they're hazy to get the most out of your bulbs!

Ordered a pair of the Phillip Vision Plus for $16.66 plus tax from Amazon.

Will I need anything besides a screwdriver to install these? Also, do you guys have any pointers for aiming the lights for my 300ZX? I think I found some stuff about an aiming kit that's supposed to be under the hood somewhere - is it just a judgement call of where you should shoot for?

Originally Posted By: 300ZX_topless
Also, do you guys have any pointers for aiming the lights for my 300ZX? I think I found some stuff about an aiming kit that's supposed to be under the hood somewhere - is it just a judgement call of where you should shoot for?

No, headlamp aim isn't a judgement call.

Let me ask: do your headlamps have the three little aiming "nubs" on the face of the lens? If so, your lamps are designed to be aimed by a mechanical aiming device, and should generally not be aimed visually. But if you can't find one, you'll have to do your best by using a visual method. Here's a great reference on how to do that:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

These are pretty easy to change. Just open the hood and look at the back of the headlight assembly. You'll see two bulbs on the back of each. The outer bulbs are the low beams, just unplug the wire harness and twist the bulb like a quarter turn and it'll come out.

When you remove the new bulbs from the box don't touch the glass with your fingers, the oils may shorten the life of the bulb.

The headlight aiming adapters are in the trunk on the left side. These work along with a shops aiming equipment. Just take it to a shop and let them do the adjustment or I try to adjust the height to just below my knees(6'2" frame) then stand behind the car and they should be straight ahead by eye, don't want to blind the oncoming car.

If your lights are adjusted correctly you can point at a wall in a parking lot. As you approach your "hot spots" they will very slowly move up and left until your bumper touches that wall.

This works with the formerly standard DOT "hot spots" of course, but like you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back