Loving the 0w-16 in our new AWD Prius in Alaska

I'm heartened by your post, fellow Alaskan.

Though, I cannot reconcile driving a Prius. Twice now, I've seen compact or sub-compact cars destroyed and their drivers killed by head-on accidents on the hwy around Turnagain Arm. Just me, but I like SUV's and pickup trucks for safety reasons.

Perhaps they're okay for driving around Anchorage... Be extra safe!

Steve from Palmer
How cold does it get in Palmer? I was told it gets windy there. I was in Alaska last year and If I moved there, I would choose Palmer. It is not in the city, nor out in the wilderness.

I've seen -35 degs F in Palmer and some of the lower river valley areas in and around Butte. Typically, the Wasilla and Palmer Valley area sees below zero temps for several weeks each winter. These temps typically happen in January and or early Feb. Negative 10 and negative 20 are commonplace.

Palmer lies smack-dab in the middle of a wind "convergence zone." When a low pressure system come up Cook Inlet and and high pressure exists in Interior Alaska, winds whistle down Matanuska and the Talkeetna mountain valleys to the north of Palmer and dump into the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet. They converge across the eastern Valley, otherwise known as the Palmer area, and pummel us. Three or 4 times a year, and for DAYS on end, we endure near hurricane force high winds. These wind events typically happen between fall and spring. I've seen wind storms averaging 30 to 35 mph, gusting to hurricane force. And yes, they do happen in the middle of the winter when it's -10 to -20 degs F (ambient temp with no windchill involved) and last for 4 or 5 days. I've seen this several times in my 15 years living in Palmer.

Such storms pickup glacial silt (rock dust off the Knik and Matanuska glacier valleys) and scour our vehicles windshields like sandpaper as it blows through. Typically, I replace my vehicle's windshields every 3 to 5 years -- they're scoured. It can be a windy place at times. Mostly, Palmer's three months of beautiful summer weather make up for the 6 months of solid winter.

You have to be a hardy soul to live here! Vehicles here require a 0W or lower number CCS 5W oil. Block heaters and or oil pan heater pads really help.

Last edited:
Back