Louvers - Again, AMSOIL EaO filters

Looks like the Microgard,also made in Vietnam👍
Bought a air filter for my moms beater car this morning while changing her oil in this brand from the "O". Was very impressed with the construction compared to some of the others (fram, ac delco) Seems to be great products from this company. The box didnt say where it was made but I wondered this and you answered my question lol. Thanks.

I will definitely be looking at these filters for my own vehicles when time comes back around. I'm generally a OEM everything kinda guy.

UG, it sounds like you might know...why did louvers replace holes in filter cores? I have wondered but never knew for sure. I expect the tooling used to make louvers is less expensive to make and maintain than the same to make holes but was there something else that brought them into the industry?
Perhaps a donut hole or two wound up in a bad place … ?

It seems to me that in the event of filter material deterioration, a louvered design should better protect engine oil passages, screens, oil squirters, and pickups from clogging than the large holes in the MicroGard Select and similar filters.

It seems to me that in the event of filter material deterioration, a louvered design should better protect engine oil passages, screens, oil squirters, and pickups from clogging than the large holes in the MicroGard Select and similar filters.
It doesn’t take a piece as big as the holes to cause a problem. Microgard Select is my next filter. It could have a better media composition but it checks all the other boxes for me.

Louvers are under pressure I don't see a problem with any of them, when has their been an issue...
Would you use this filter with mere slits in the center tube? If the louvers are choked way down, there will be increased delta-p across the filter and the filter will be running in bypass a lot, if not all the time.

1661115783303.jpg

How about this one ... just bumps in the center tube, so this filter was in bypass all the time.

1661115842676.jpg

Depends how the media tears and if pieces come completely off. The delta-p across the media will try to find a way to push any loose media or debris through the center tube regardless of it's design.

Nope, maybe use them as an example of QC issues to discuss with the manufacturer (hopefully)?
Great that you discovered the issue... bet a lot of folks will be looking at their filters now. Another thing is the customer service reaction in this day and age are surprising. Many people never even get a replay or a "go to H*LL from lots of companies today so that was a good thing too. Very sad tthe way the modern world is where companies change hands so much and most owners have no idea what they even make or sell and could care less. You were very sharp and lucky to think to look those filters over. LOL I went straight into my shop to inspect my "Honda" filters.

^^^ Anyone reading this forum should know by now that all filters with louvers need to be scritinized before installing them. As seen many times, regardless of filter brand, louvers can be all over the map. I've seen many in the stores that I would not use.

Depends how the media tears and if pieces come completely off. The delta-p across the media will try to find a way to push any loose media or debris through the center tube regardless of it's design.
But it seems to me that with the louvered design any deteriorating filter media that can get through those tiny slots can also get through the rest of the engine without clogging anything. One less thing to have to worry about ...

But it seems to me that with the louvered design any deteriorating filter media that can get through those tiny slots can also get through the rest of the engine without clogging anything.
Maybe ... maybe not. I wouldn't use it as a reason to use louvers ... just don't buy oil filters that are known to tear media.

One less thing to have to worry about ...
As long as you worry about and verify you get good louvers. 😄

Back