Loud vs Quiet Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I must be the odd man out. I found both Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products to be quiet in my vehicles. I did hear a bit more noise with a well respected boutique oil, both in 0W20 and 0W30... I do prefer a "quieter oil" even though many claim the acoustics have no meaning. If noise indicates metal to metal contact I'd rather not have that.

I feel the same. I'd prefer to use the quieter oil even if it doesn't translate to more wear.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I must be the odd man out. I found both Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products to be quiet in my vehicles. I did hear a bit more noise with a well respected boutique oil, both in 0W20 and 0W30... I do prefer a "quieter oil" even though many claim the acoustics have no meaning. If noise indicates metal to metal contact I'd rather not have that.

I feel the same. I'd prefer to use the quieter oil even if it doesn't translate to more wear.
smile.gif

Yea, me too. The ST syn 5w-30 I'm using now is the quietest my engines have ever been. Especially the F150 which it replaced the M1 HM 10w-30. I thought the HTHS of 3.5 in the M1 would quiet the timing gears (replaced nylon with steel) but not so.

My VG33's hydraulic lifters are incredibly sensitive to different oils. RTG 5w30 is by far the quietest oil I've put in so far, however I'm only 500 miles into the OCI..

Last edited:
These last few OCI's, my 2006 Silverado's 5.3L Gen III engine is really quiet while using QSUD 5W-30.
Filling up before and after the trip, I carefully measured 19.5 mpg's driving 95 miles RT between Anchorage and Palmer the other day.
Not bad for this vintage 1/2-ton CC PU. I like!

My little commuter Equinox is quiet and enjoying RGT 5W-30 at the moment. The Nox likes Magnatec 5W-30 as well.

Last edited:
When I had my Civic I would always use Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 but my last oil change before trading it in I used Valvoline FS 0W20 and that oil made the car quite. Right now I have Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 in both my vehicles and they are pretty quite as well.

It was in the low 30's this morning. I can say without a doubt that Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 keeps the old 4.0L very quiet on startup. Quieter than EDGE EP or the OE fill. Does it matter or mean anything? Probably not. Just an observation.

I've had good luck with PU 5W30 in both my Jeeps. I recently gave Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 a shot in the 2016 Rubicon. The engine was always quiet and tick free on cold starts, it would tick for a second or two after about 3 weeks of sitting without being used. I fired it up yesterday with the ESP 0W30, after sitting three weeks w/o being driven and I was surprised to hear no tick at all. I'm anxious to see how the oil does after a 5K run UOA in this Jeep and the Liberty.

Is the M1 ESP 0w30 hard to find up there ?
I have not run across any M1 0w30 in a long time

(Got some on AZ clearance years ago)

Originally Posted by 4WD
Is the M1 ESP 0w30 hard to find up there ?
I have not run across any M1 0w30 in a long time

(Got some on AZ clearance years ago)

It is getting easier to find. NAPA had it last month for $5.49/quart. Combine that with the $10 rebate promo they had it was a pretty good deal imo. After discussing it with a few Bitog buddies I figured I'd give it a shot. I think it is going to become easier to get as time goes by, and with any luck sales like the NAPA deal will become more frequent. I have enough on hand to test it out in two vehicles for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back