Mazda 3 skyactiv tick, something oil can't fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by tig1
This may very well be your problem. The engine in the Ranger is the same design as yours for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

You might be thinking of the L series engines. The SkyActiv engines are completely redone.

But does it still have the vanes in the intake manifold as does the Ford, Toyota, Honda, and BMW engines.

That I am not sure of. I know there is something on the exhaust side.

From what I've read, part of the SkyActiv initiative was to eliminate all vestiges of Ford. It did take until 2016-17 to fully accomplish that though.

I agree with PimTac here.

I have a 4 year old Skyactiv 2.0. It sounds similar to the video you posted and always has. I couldn't tell from the video what was unusual about the sound?

I have 54k on mine as well and it has always had M1 0w20. Runs and sounds like it did when I bought it.

I have a 2013 mazda3 2.0L Skyactiv with 70k miles. Sounds basically the same as that. I've always run 0W-20, Mobil1 AFE, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum... they all sound to me and it really hasn't changed since the car was new.

My 6.0 PSD has a tick as well but that's just the mongo injectors letting me know they are in charge, that said I think of it's grabbing the attention of total strangers in parking lots then something is very wrong and a tick would not be the proper description

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I literally just changed the oil 2 weeks ago with Idemitsu 0w20 (not the high moly stuff). I'd really rather not change the oil again so soon just for experimenting sake. Could I throw a high quality additive in there to see if it helps?

fwiw, I've experienced this with my wife's car since I experiment on it with different oils
lol.gif

sometimes after an oil change the car sound horrible to the point I think what's wrong with this oil! But since i use good quality oil, I ignore the perceived? noise. After a week or two if i happen to check the oil or something the car sounds very smooth! It may have rebuilt the films, etc. or was fighting with the old oil to see who's the boss
shocked2.gif
or maybe just my imagination! If it goes beyond a week or two, they i may pay attention to it!

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Here's the vid guys. Both Mobile 1 AFE and Idemitsu were 0w20. I started hearing the noise back when it was on Mobile 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhSwwiS-Wo

Just listened to the noise. Since I have a 2.0L Skyactiv as well, I can relate... sounds normal to me. Maybe just a tad louder then mine with the engine cover off. Sounds like the typical injector / valves noise to me.

Have you ever ran any injector cleaner thru it? Give it a good dose of say, Redline Fuel System cleaner and see what it sounds like after a tank.

Originally Posted by Onetor
You may want to consider Redline 0W20 oil? RL is known to cure Lifter ticks. Deduction?

We don't know if this is a lifter tick. This is not a Fiat hemi.

Originally Posted by Serge
Id stick 5w30 in there. 0w20s are a joke...

Based on scientific evidence or just a fishing expedition ?

That's interesting because your sig indicates that you use 0W20 in two of your vehicles.

Nah....

Originally Posted by PimTac

Based on scientific evidence or just a fishing expedition ?

+1

Yes, just for warranty purposes.

Does your warranty state that it will be voided if you use a different oil grade than recommended?

My wife has a 2013 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactive. I run 5W30 in hers. Why? Cuz CAFE.... No ticking noise. 63k miles.

Doubtful. From what I can tell, that sounds like either an injector tick or some kind of intake runner vane rattle. There's no kind of oil that would make a lick of difference with either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back