Oil recommendation Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I just purchased a used 2016 Mazda 3 with 33,000 miles on it and I'm looking for a recommendation for what to use in it. I've researched a bit and most people say the Mazda 0w20 oil with moly is the best but it is hard to find and costs a bunch. The manual recommends Castrol as and alternative but I was wondering if there was something better that is easy to get and cost effective? I was looking at Idemitsu 20102059 Full Synth 0W-20 but wasn't sure if this was a good choice. I've already ordered a bulk supply of OEM oil filters so I'm set there. Here's so more info that may help:

2016 Mazda 3 with 2.0L Skyactiv and runs great.
I live in Pennsylvania.
I drive 20,000 miles a year mainly highway miles.
I drive fast.
I'll probably just set the oil change indicator in the car and I'll change my oil then (10,000 miles I believe).

Thanks for the help!

Is castrol not available at your walmart (or similar) or auto stores? Walmart has 5qt for $23 not going to get much better then that.that you could also order online and get free shipping with 2 jugs

M1 0w20 my 12 skyactive with 80k happy happy with OEM filters clean as a whistle 5k to 7.5k intervals.

I've used castrol edge, pennzoil platinum, and Quaker state ultimate durability in my skyactiv 6 and it loves them all.

Yeah, these SkyActiv engines(2.0L/2.5L) are quite easy on their oil and I would say that they're not too picky about what brand of 0W20 that you use. I think that the owners are more picky(not a bad thing). However, I wouldn't go HOG WILD on a super expensive oils/boutique oils, just use the everyday name brand that is available in your area.

And if you're driving mostly highway miles, find one that you are happy with that seems to make your particular engine "sound & feel" the way you like an engine to "sound & feel". This is the seat of the pants sound & feel that most of us base our oil choice on.

Although my daughter(who also lives in PA) Mazda3 in my signature is 11 yrs old, her 2.0L non SkyActiv isn't too picky about the oil however, I kind'a like anything 5W30 dino, compared to the recommended 5W20. But, that's just me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ksj4477
Hello there, I just purchased a used 2016 Mazda 3 with 33,000 miles on it and I'm looking for a recommendation for what to use in it. I've researched a bit and most people say the Mazda 0w20 oil with moly is the best but it is hard to find and costs a bunch. The manual recommends Castrol as and alternative but I was wondering if there was something better that is easy to get and cost effective? I was looking at Idemitsu 20102059 Full Synth 0W-20 but wasn't sure if this was a good choice. I've already ordered a bulk supply of OEM oil filters so I'm set there. Here's so more info that may help:

2016 Mazda 3 with 2.0L Skyactiv and runs great.
I live in Pennsylvania.
I drive 20,000 miles a year mainly highway miles.
I drive fast.
I'll probably just set the oil change indicator in the car and I'll change my oil then (10,000 miles I believe).

Its great to go by the oil change indicator light, as that is the best guess and protects the warranty. Do that, and then use an oil that performs better than the minimum standard performance spec for your vehicle.
I'd go with walmart's cheap 5quart jugs of Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w20 or Castrol Edge Extended Performance (gold jug) 0w20.
Fram Ultra oil filter is the best filter.
Mobil1 Annual Protection is too overpriced.
Idemitsu is a good oil, but nothing special. They make the Mazda oilThe Mazda oil has tons of moly in it which helps with short trip cold driving since it sets up a wear barrier at colder temperatures, which they could have done with polymer esters about as well.

I did the maintenance on a friends 2011 Mazda 3. She moved down from the Pittsburgh area. I used 5W-20 Synthetic (mostly Napa) every 7,500 miles with Napa gold filters (most of the time.). She traded it in for a Subaru after 3 years though. That Subaru burns a quart every 2,200 miles........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I did the maintenance on a friends 2011 Mazda 3. She moved down from the Pittsburgh area. I used 5W-20 Synthetic (mostly Napa) every 7,500 miles with Napa gold filters (most of the time.). She traded it in for a Subaru after 3 years though. That Subaru burns a quart every 2,200 miles........

I know right!
The Mazda3 in my signature with 145K miles doesn't burn a drop of oil in 6K miles OCI's. Maybe a tiny bit(just below the full mrk) in >7K. But usually I don't take it past 7K.

Wow guys, thank you for all of the great replies! It's good to know the Skyactiv engine isn't too picky on oil. Before this car I had an HHR SS that I bought new and only ever put Mobile 1 in it for 180,000 miles till I traded it in for this car. It never used any oil. I think i'll start with the recommended Castrol 0w20 first then possibly try the M1 if I dont like the Castrol. It has Pennzoil 0w20 on it right now.

Keith

Well, you can't go wrong with Pennzoil. But too, don't overthink this because there [almost] isn't a bad 0W20 oil on the market today, at least not in the top brands that most of us would use. They're all great!
I buy oils by price and often look for oils that are being closed out or discontinued from auto parts store that are changing their oil lineup. They remove one brand(selling cheap) and replacing with another. Usually near the end of year(between Thanksgiving & Christmas/New Year). But, could be anytime as well.

The Mazda Moly Oil can be had as part of a $44.56 oil change kit that includes 5 Qts, an OEM oil filter, and OEM drain plug gasket. Free shipping if you order over $100. Not going to state the vendor as I'm not 100% sure of the policies here (I have no connection with them, just a happy customer), but Googling "mazda skyactiv oil change kit" returns it in the first 5 results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back