Mazda 3 skyactiv tick, something oil can't fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Doubtful. From what I can tell, that sounds like either an injector tick or some kind of intake runner vane rattle. There's no kind of oil that would make a lick of difference with either of those.

I agree with this. It is not something that any oil will mask. I use the word "mask" because that is what thick oil does for a noisy engine. Just ask any unscrupulous used car salesman.

The OP should focus on other areas.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Serge
Id stick 5w30 in there. 0w20s are a joke...

Based on scientific evidence or just a fishing expedition ?

Trolling?

I just don't follow the logic of using a lubericant to muffle a sound if the engine is running properly. If the engine is lound to the point you have to complain to a group of strangers and try to "fix" something which isn't broke. Then you should be asking yourself why did you buy that vehicle if the injectiors, pullys, exhausts it lound to the point it affects your pleasure owning a vehicle.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Doubtful. From what I can tell, that sounds like either an injector tick or some kind of intake runner vane rattle. There's no kind of oil that would make a lick of difference with either of those.

I agree with this. It is not something that any oil will mask. I use the word "mask" because that is what thick oil does for a noisy engine. Just ask any unscrupulous used car salesman.

The OP should focus on other areas.

Yea but, look at it this way...

Say he drains that water out and replace it with a 20w50 of your favorite flavor.

Say the noise level doesn't change one bit (apart from maybe a slightly less pronounced valve tick)

Wouldn't this be a rather cheap and easy method of diagnosing the problem? It's like $15 worth of oil. You could even save the current oil and refill it after the "test" so you don't waste a thing.

I'm willing to bet that nothing changes and would love for the OP to test it out in his quest to find the problem.
thumbsup2.gif

Op,to me your engine sounded smooth as glass in your video. All I can hear are the injectors firing which is completely normal.

"Say he drains that water out and replace it with a 20w50 of your favorite flavor. "

Obviously you have a bias against 0w20.

"Say he drains that water out and replace it with a 20w50 of your favorite flavor. "

Smart man, I'd say.

Nothing against 0w20. I have Idemitsu in my Mazda 3 right now in 0w20. I was just making a point.

Originally Posted by Artem

Nothing against 0w20. I have Idemitsu in my Mazda 3 right now in 0w20. I was just making a point.

Interesting way of doing so.

I am running 0w20 in my 2017 SkyActiv which is almost the same as the op. They made some changes in 2017 and again in 2018. The engine is quiet and runs very smoothly. It doesn't use any oil and fuel dilution is minimal according to my nose.

Originally Posted by burla
First thing, get off 0w20 and see if that changes the sound at all. Even if that is the spec oil the reasoning behind those tight tolerances are long gone. That is why most HM oils are thicker, because a 2013 car driven a lot certainly would benefit from a thicker oil, tolerances are widened substantially then when that vehicle was new.

All this said with ZERO evidence and proper knowledge.

Stay on factory recommended oil weight.

HM oils are not thicker. If so show us the proof??

Show us your video of where you measured the clearances in the OP's engine and found Grand Canyon bearing gaps. We are waiting......

slomo

Originally Posted by Serge
Yes, yes i am. But mine doesnt tick??? Just saying that 5w30 could help the tick.

Explain how a "slightly" heavier oil, not likely to flow where it's supposed to go as easily, helps anything. The engine manufacturer set the bearing and other tolerances to a certain spec. If they wanted a heavier oil, they would of stated use 60w oil for example.

Use the factory recommended grade oil for the duration of the vehicle. Lot of fishing going on here. That old "use a heavier oil" trick is soooo dated and has zero credibility.

slomo

This comes from old advice back in the day when oils weren't of the superior quality they are today and tolerances in engines weren't as tight as they are today and generally a thicker oil would work. I agree that thicker oil generally won't cure ticking unless there is a mechanical problem created by the tolerance being out which I suspect is NOT the case in this situation.

We still don't know if there is a real problem or not to the OP's engine. Several others with the same engine said it sounds normal. To me it sounds like GDI - normal.

slomo

Tolerances have nothing to do with oil viscosity. Now clearances may have an effect, but it has been discussed here many, many times that the clearances themselves have remained the same for decades now. Why, because an engine is not made entirely of the same material. It's made of several different metals and alloys, all if which have different expansion/contraction rates vs the temperature. Clearances are specified to deal with this phenomenon specifically, not to accommodate a specific oil weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back