Best synthetic to quiet down valvetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly certain it is after the Power Tour which is 5-11th I am pretty sure the Vegas thing is after that. The Vegas thing is going to cut into the b-body showing on the Power Tour most people can not take 2 weeks in a row for car crap on different ends of the country.
dunno.gif
. I would Love to go to Vegas, only for the car stuff, but that isn't going to happen. I have to make due with running a partial Power Tour
frown.gif
, since it ends just 30 minutes or so from home it would be a shame to not go. Maybe if you go talk to the boys at CM in person about the rockers/springs they will show you the car???? you know they are just a short distance out of Vegas, I think like 10 miles or something.

I think I'll give them a visit, I'd really like to see the car
grin.gif

cweed, this is probably an obvious suggestion, but I didn't see it posted. How about adding a quart of marvel mystery oil shortly before your next oil change. Run it a bit to let it clean things up and change the oil. see if that helps. The only other thing I have personally seen quiet a noisy valvetrain is valvoline all climate 5w30. No Idea why. it was in a 75 opel 1.9 ohc. I mean SERIOUSLY quieted it down. Good luck.
r.

The rotella being a diesel oil is heavy on detergents maybe that is part of what helped mine, makes sense since it was noise at first and quieted with a few miles, maybe as things became cleaner. He does bring up a good point, have you AutoRXed it

You could think about giving Valvoline Synthetic MaxLife a try. I think it is a Group III not really a synthetic, but it may have some PAO in it. At any rate, it has made our engines sound very nice and quiet. Something to think about.

I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but in my personal experience, the one oil that definitely quiets down a gasoline engine is Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40...three reasons:

1. Thicker viscosity than CAFE oils regularly used.
2. Higher HT/HS than CAFE oils.
3. Good dose of molybdenum.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the 15w-40 may be a little too thick, ill look more into the specs, i actually do have some marvel mystery oil laying around so i'll give that a try before i change the oil out. My blackstone container arrived today so I will drain some of the t&suv oil out before i add the marvel mystery oil and do a UOA and post it up here. I'll be away for the next week and a half, by the time i come back it should be hotter out around here so we'll see how the oil performs in hotter weather....

From several psots here I have extracted that M1 15-W50 is by far the best to quieten down an LT/LS engine.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
In your opinion what is the best synthetic oil to quiet down the noisy valvetrain in an LT1 or LS1 engine? These engines often come with noisy valvetrains in addition to another tapping noise that comes more from the bottom-end (not sure if its piston slap or what but it is noticeable).

Both noises are bothersome, especially when you pop the hood and want to show off your engine running and all you hear is clicking and tapping from all around the engine. I hear that many people experience this with M1 oils, i am one of these people
tongue.gif
but I also have not found any oil that actually quiets the noise down.... I've experienced most of both of these noises when using straight M1 10W-30, little less with mix of M1 10W-30 and 15W-50. Recently I switched to M1 T&SUV, somehow hoping the noise would quiet down, but I still have it as bad as before. I've heard some people have good results using Redline to quiet these noises, any truth to that? I've tried Redline for one interval, but didnt see much difference myself, same for RP 41.... Anyone out there getting some good results at quieting these noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back