Loud motorcycles are back

ou say "there is no stereotyping", and then you go and stereotype in the EXACT SAME LINE :unsure:

I'm in my mid 40's and ride in ATGATT, but after the car behind me comes to a stop, I click my bike into neutral as to save on my left hand as I have carpel tunnel. Am I now a squirrely kid (Squid) because I don't follow your procedure?

You also didn't mention lane position...did the rider position themselves for an "out", and not directly behind the car in front of them...I guess that doesn't matter?

All those are best practices...something I don't do every single time I come to a stop even with my nearly 30 years of riding experience don't replicate every single time. I am not about to judge another as SQUID or not just due to how they sit at a stop light.

and to stay on topic...I like the sound of a bike with a decent aftermarket exhaust that attenuates the sound. Straight pipes should be shoved right up the tail pipe of the rider sporting them.

Not meaning to offend you but the only time a bike should go into neutral is when parked or pushing it. Very very unsafe on public highways. Watch a motor cop sometime. They never pop into neutral and always dismount/mount on the right. And yes lane positioning to leave yourself an out. Even with carpal tunnel, if you can't hold in a clutch for the length of a traffic signal then either get a Rekluse or find another sport.

There is no stereotyping. The majority of loud pipe, ape hanger and gas station waddlers are old 40+ year old Harley riders. The majority of shorts tee shirt and sandals ripping in and out of traffic are young 20-30 year old sport bike riders.
I can understand your prejudices, after all you own a sport bike and dont hang out with old 40+ year old people who ride cruisers, tour interstates and go to the gas station for a break.
But you couldn't be more wrong. The crack loud sound of the sport bike riders can and is way more startling than the deep tone of a mellow cruiser and they are the majority of loud pipes in this area.

I know exactly when spring has arrived. On the first 70 degree day of the year, the guy who lives behind me (a renter) rolls his Harley out of the garage, cranks the engine for several minutes, until he finally gets it running on just one cylinder. Then he spends the next several minutes hammering the throttle until that lazy second cylinder finally decides to start firing again...

Ahhh, yes. The joyous return of spring.

I can understand your prejudices, after all you own a sport bike and dont hang out with old 40+ year old people who ride cruisers, tour interstates and go to the gas station for a break. But you couldn't be more wrong. The crack loud sound of the sport bike riders can and is way more startling than the deep tone of a mellow cruiser and they are the majority of loud pipes in this area.

HA HA I have neither a sport bike or Harley. I hang out and ride with both. We are talking loud pipes and squids. They go hand in hand. Loud bikes of any kind are very annoying on public highways.

I live on a scenic country route that is very popular with the 2-wheeled variety the ~5 months/year that you can ride. I knew there was going to be noise when we bought the house.. I don't mind responsibly ridden loud pipes, it's the riders purposely making noise that ruin it. Same with the sound systems on motorcycles. That's even more obnoxious to me given they have helmets on.

Turbo diesel BroDozers is another annoyance in my area that may even be louder than the motorcycles. They make my Ram 1500 hemi sound like a Prius.

I had a sticker made for my 2002 GL1800 which was a one-year-only bright orange:

"Loud Paint Saves Lives"

Affixed to the rear fender right between the exhaust tips.

Not meaning to offend you but the only time a bike should go into neutral is when parked or pushing it. Very very unsafe on public highways. Watch a motor cop sometime. They never pop into neutral and always dismount/mount on the right. And yes lane positioning to leave yourself an out. Even with carpal tunnel, if you can't hold in a clutch for the length of a traffic signal then either get a Rekluse or find another sport.

I'm not offended at all. I have been labeled much worse ;-) At my age, being labeled a SQUID is almost a compliment. I just don't agree with labeling anybody that doesn't hit 100% of the best practices 100% of the time as being unsafe. We are all comfortable with our own risk levels, and I'm not about to poo-poo on someone enjoying what is already a dying sport because they are not hitting my level of what I consider as acceptable risk.

To me it is acceptable to sit in neutral at a light once I know the car behind me has come to a stop.
To me it is acceptable to ride to the grocery store or local coffee shop without my riding pants (wearing jeans) if I am not going to exceed ~35 mph
To me it is not acceptable to ride without helmet, gloves, jacket, boots no matter how short the distance.

Just because someone doesn't do exactly as I do, does not make them a squid or a pirate, or an unsafe rider. They are unsafe if they endanger OTHERS, not how they assess their own risk level.

In Iowa it is still legal to ride without a helmet. I think it is a poor decision, but I will still ride with someone, and I won't make negative comments to them if they decide not to wear one. If they ride in a manner that endangers myself as a rider, or other folks on the road, that is another matter all together.

Part of the fun of riding a motorcycle is realizing there is additional risk, and doing what YOU feel you should do to mitigate that risk. I do exceed the speed limit when out on a country road away from others. I do exceed the suggested corner speed when away from others. I do accelerate briskly when away from others. All these things are fun, and reduce the safety of riding, but not to a level I deem as risky to myself, and certainly not hurting others.

I do consider myself a safe rider :) Happy riding!

I argued at work with a coworker that has a loud Harley about losing his hearing. He tried arguing you don’t lose any hearing on a Harley vs a Jap bike because of the sound pitch. Loud is loud.

You realize between the two above that is about 85% of the motorcycles on the road. (Harley and Sportbike riders)

You know how to tell the difference?

The Harley is in the left lane getting passed by everyone else.

The Sportbike is in all lanes, passing everyone else.

I know exactly when spring has arrived. On the first 70 degree day of the year, the guy who lives behind me (a renter) rolls his Harley out of the garage, cranks the engine for several minutes, until he finally gets it running on just one cylinder. Then he spends the next several minutes hammering the throttle until that lazy second cylinder finally decides to start firing again...

Ahhh, yes. The joyous return of spring.

See, now, if he just rolled that thing out of the garage every few days in winter and revved the crap out of it in his driveway (preferably late at night) for about 20 or 30 minutes, it'd fire right up in spring!

all cell phones in my neighborhood need to sit (in car or under the tree) 30 to 50 ft in frnt of my door. It is a "dead zone" cept
for there. "Loud voices save lives". I think not. Loud pipes on the other hand just might. Besides - it's fun to blast that nosie -
pipes or the cellie. The world is their telephone stall. I don't wanna hear their business, I dont wanna see them @ my house.

HA HA I have neither a sport bike or Harley. I hang out and ride with both. We are talking loud pipes and squids. They go hand in hand. Loud bikes of any kind are very annoying on public highways.
Wouldnt some consider a Yamaha Super Tenere as a sport bike or sport tourer?
(BTW I am a yamaha fan)

You know how to tell the difference?

The Harley is in the left lane getting passed by everyone else.

The Sportbike is in all lanes, passing everyone else.
Hmmmm ... sooo sure of that huh?
You mean those little tiny sport bikes that only go out for a couple hours a day?
Certainly can't take multiday trips two up and with luggage cruising at 80 MPH for hours at a time and rarely (actually never) do I ever see one riding through thunder storms, torrential rains and high winds ... sport bikes are good machines but your kidding yourself if you think you are superior in anyway.
(which by your post you seem to think so)

You should know, just like 4 wheel vehicles there is a purpose to each type of machine.

just like cars (trucks, etc, etc) every application possible hasa matched vehicle.
A 'sport bike' duz not have an interstate application & vise versa.
That is Y we customize...

Hmmmm ... sooo sure of that huh?
You mean those little tiny sport bikes that only go out for a couple hours a day?
Certainly can't take multiday trips two up and with luggage cruising at 80 MPH for hours at a time and rarely (actually never) do I ever see one riding through thunder storms, torrential rains and high winds ... sport bikes are good machines but your kidding yourself if you think you are superior in anyway.
(which by your post you seem to think so)

You should know, just like 4 wheel vehicles there is a purpose to each type of machine.

HA! I have visited almost every state in the contiguous USA on what most would consider a "sport bike", including a saddle sore 1000, and many many 700+ mile days. I had a 700+ mile day just last summer on my Guzzi. "sport bikes" can cruise just fine on the slab (interstate). I had luggage, three pieces and have been gone for weeks at a time.

while the forum is all but dead, there used to be quite a few folks who did the same.

www.sport-touring.net

Wouldnt some consider a Yamaha Super Tenere as a sport bike or sport tourer?
(BTW I am a yamaha fan)

No, not even close. The S10 is an "Adventure" or "Dual Sport" bike, in the same vein as the Honda Africa Twin or the BMW R1250GS.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 12
Back