Losing interest in firearms?

And way more expensive

I spend more on woodworking tools than guns but enjoy both

In retirement I end up shooting less because I have so many more things to do!
I find I have to make time for the range as I agree with you about life after retirement. I rotate my firearms range time and currently have been shooting my .22’s. Just picked up a new Henry Pump last week and yesterday outfitted a Leupold 2-7 X 33 on it. Shot it last week with the open sights and that action was tight. Been working the action at home since then and it’s starting to free up. Never owned a pump .22 before but I remember shooting them at the shooting arcade on the boardwalk in Wildwood. They are fun.

I don't blame him for enjoying his girlfriend . She's a widow .She has a camp on a lake and a bass boat and loves to fish . I can't compete with that ..

Have always had an interest in guns & shooting/hunting

The hunting part left about 10+ yrs ago

Still buying guns I don't need

But they still interest me

Like this 10mm Springfield..or Ruger PC9 carbine....etc.......

pic is 10mm.....16+ mags....a hand full with full nuts loads

z3ylJMC.jpg

The new Springfield is out. Very nice - got a chance to see one today. No more grip safety and different grip sizes like the 4th and 5th gen Glocks.

Have always had an interest in guns & shooting/hunting

The hunting part left about 10+ yrs ago

Still buying guns I don't need

But they still interest me

Like this 10mm Springfield..or Ruger PC9 carbine....etc.......

pic is 10mm.....16+ mags....a hand full with full nuts loads

z3ylJMC.jpg
No one else buys guns they don't need ,,,, 'cept you !!!

I am positive we will.
The blue states will get more restrictive. That's not going to matter, because most of the gun people are fleeing from them anyway. But we won't lose the Second Amendment....... EVER.

I remember in the 70's I thought the Equal Rights Amendment would surely pass. I mean why not? But it failed. In fact last August they couldn't even advance a resolution to remove the deadline for its ratification. It failed to pass by 51 to 47.

As it turns out, they've been beating that dead horse for 50 years. And it had far more support than trying to repeal the Second Amendment will ever have.

Adding and repealing Constitutional Amendments is a very difficult process to accomplish. The founding fathers of our government purposely set it up that way. And you also have to remember the corporate media only reports one side. They're every bit as corrupt as the government they're trying to report on. Especially when it comes to guns.

They all make it sound like anti gun measures are more popular than they actually are. Today we have concealed carry handgun laws in most every state. Many have reciprocity. If you would have said that back in the 70's people would have laughed at you.

Most people thought all handguns would be banned by today..... Yet here we are. With the addition of several states adopting, "Stand Your Ground" laws as well. It's not as bad as most would lead you to believe.

The blue states will get more restrictive. That's not going to matter, because most of the gun people are fleeing from them anyway. But we won't lose the Second Amendment....... EVER.

I remember in the 70's I thought the Equal Rights Amendment would surely pass. I mean why not? But it failed. In fact last August they couldn't even advance a resolution to remove the deadline for its ratification. It failed to pass by 51 to 47.

As it turns out, they've been beating that dead horse for 50 years. And it had far more support than trying to repeal the Second Amendment will ever have.

Adding and repealing Constitutional Amendments is a very difficult process to accomplish. The founding fathers of our government purposely set it up that way. And you also have to remember the corporate media only reports one side. They're every bit as corrupt as the government they're trying to report on. Especially when it comes to guns.

They all make it sound like anti gun measures are more popular than they actually are. Today we have concealed carry handgun laws in most every state. Many have reciprocity. If you would have said that back in the 70's people would have laughed at you.

Most people thought all handguns would be banned by today..... Yet here we are. With the addition of several states adopting, "Stand Your Ground" laws as well. It's not as bad as most would lead you to believe.
I hope you are right !!!

Folks, I appreciate the perspective, but this is skirting a political issue. Rights, laws, policy, etc. all end up in political debate and for the sake of the OP, I would prefer to keep the thread open.

It is interesting to follow this thread, and see how many others have lost interest in firearms. I'm going through the same feelings recently.

My youngest son, with whom I shared the most fun with guns, has recently lost interest. A good neighbor friend, whit whom I have went shooting with, reloaded with and such, passed on a couple years ago. My wife enjoys shooting with me, but she has had a number of surgeries in the last 18 months. So I have no one to go shooting with. At least right now.

But, I'm hoping when my wife heals from her last surgery, we will be able to go out shooting again.

Slowly losing interest as well. I've got half a dozen guns that I will likely sell and keep my 22 pistol and rifle for the wife and kids, my G43 that I carry, and a WW2 era Finn M39 which is just historically cool. I have too many guns worth too much money that I don't use

Last edited:
My grandfather who was my long time hunting mentor/buddy passed away at the beginning of the year. My father who was in law enforcement, was a firearms instructor and competition shooter, the guy who taught me way more about shooting than I could ever soak in…is now legally blind.

I don’t have a passion for firearms anymore. I still hunt, I still legally carry but I’m not in the market to buy more.

I haven't fired a single shot in 4 years. I have a gun purchased 3 years ago that hasn't been fired yet.

You can say that about most any hobby or sport. Cars, boats, motorcycles. Idiots like all things that fun can be found in having and doing. Go to a ball game or a boat launch ramp. You'll see your fill of them in no time.
Human powered stuff weeds a few out, biking, hiking, kayaking, etc... And if you avoid the busy areas, then usually you are just left with nice folks for the most part I find. For sure there's still some guys that think you need to spend $5k+ on a bike to be "serious", but usually we can all ride the same trails fine.

Always interested in a new tool at a right price. PM me if you are serious about getting rid of stuff and are located near Charlotte NC or Columbia SC. If I'm interested in a particular tool, lets make a deal!

I am starting to lose interest is pretty much everything that used to be interesting. I guess it is just getting bored with the same old stuff. I am 70 years old.

Last edited:
I am starting to lose interest is pretty much everything that used to be interesting. I guess it is just getting bored with the same old stuff. I am 70 years old.
We're the same age. And I hear where you are coming from. The older you get, the less excited you get about things in general. Life gets repetitive. It's human nature. New this and that, especially cars and electronic do dads, just don't light my fire like they did when I was much younger.

I still enjoy guns and shooting, but admittingly I've become more of a "fair weather" shooter. When it's nice I'll head out to the range and spend a good part of the day there.

I don't have too much desire to travel these days, because we live where I used to enjoy traveling to on vacation. It's a bit funny, when I go to the doctor, or anywhere else that requires me to sign and date something, I always have to ask the day and date.

The girls behind the desk probably think I'm getting senile. But it's just that I don't pay attention anymore, because everyday is Sunday as far as I'm concerned. When you're retired, and your life is totally non regimented, the days all belong to you, and are all the same. It simply doesn't matter.

The only time it has been a problem is one day I went to Lowe's at 6:30 AM, and they were closed. Then I remembered it was Sunday and they don't open until 7:00 AM.

But there were a couple of retired guys waiting who did the same thing. So we just sat on one of the picnic tables they had chained up out in front, and shot the breeze for a half hour until they opened. No big deal. When I got home my wife asked what took so long, and I told her that I forgot it was Sunday..... She just laughed.

I went to the range last weekend for an hour and blasted through 200 rounds without really enjoying it. I shot my G17 first for a bit, always a solid shooter, then put it aside. My Elite SC was next, and I realized how much I don't enjoy shooting it; my thumbs fall in a weird place and the trigger, while 'nice', is too light for my tastes. I also have no need for a sub-compact pistol so I'm wondering why I ever bought it in the first place. My M&P always feels good in my hand and the grip angle is perfect but it has far too much trigger take-up and the break is a bit light. I wish I liked shooting it more. My P320 shoots well but I still haven't gelled with it. Changing the grip module and trigger helped but it still is not the pistol I want it to be. Finishing up back with the Glock, while not perfect, made me want to sell off the other three and thin my collection down to just the one pistol.

I wish I loved this hobby like I did five or so years ago. It just isn't as fun or interesting to me as it used to be.
Another range trip yesterday, this time only bringing the G17 and P320. I shot well enough and enjoyed it for the most part. But two things that are really starting to bug me:

1) The RSO who has been running the show the last few times I've gone seems like an over-caffeinated high-strung type-A control freak. Dude, it's 9AM on a beautiful Sunday morning; I have no idea why you're cranky already but I'M not the reason why, so save the attitude and stop talking to your customers with impatience like we're children. Thankfully the sweet, friendly woman behind the counter offset your BS a bit this time.

2) I'm fully aware of where my brass goes. My Glock especially can send brass flying high and hard about 15 feet to 3 o'clock but it all stays within my lane. Do I like it bouncing off the partition and ricocheting back at me? No, but that's how it is. Thing is, I know you wouldn't like it either so I don't stand forward of the partition and send it into the next lane. Getting hit with your own brass is mildly annoying but that's the price of playing. Getting hit with someone else's is aggravating. And judging by your demeanor, you knew and didn't care. Thanks for being 'that guy'.

Back