Loose drain plug

For some reason my corolla decided to have a loose drain plug this past oil change. I torque the plug to 30 lb ft and check it with a wrench after. I noticed some oil drips and oil on the pan. This has never happened to me before. Any suggestions?

Use a drain plug with a built in seal and throw away your crush washers.

shopping

Pan gasket or valve cover leaking? pcv working?

Go to 35ft/lbs and keep driving. Since you didn't state that you replaced the washer, do so next time.

And, drainplug threads do wear. So, consider a new drainplug. A fancy one from goldplug, dimpleplug, psr, votex, along with their or new OE washer, at every change, will do much to keep all leak free.

I don't care for built-in seal drain plugs. Toyota OE gasket has their rubber/felt type sealant coating applied. Replacing it at every oil change is a no brainer. Even the generic copies of Toyota OE work great. So, don't fear the generics from ebay/amazon or equivalents from belmetric or clipsandfasteners
yummysandwich.jpg

itworks.jpg

you could just go with a fumoto drainvalve or equivalent now that you are showing some wear on the drainplug and never remove the drainplug again.

I have one on my truck, only removed the drain plug one time in the trucks life and that was to install this 25 dollar valve.

. https://www.fumotousa.com/
Or better still this.......

you could just go with a fumoto drainvalve or equivalent now that you are showing some wear on the drainplug and never remove the drainplug again.

I have one on my truck, only removed the drain plug one time in the trucks life and that was to install this 25 dollar valve.

. https://www.fumotousa.com/
Love this option on all my vehicles.

I installed the Fumoto on my accord, like that I don’t need any tools to do an oil change. Just jack up car about 6 inches so I can reach under and remove safety clip and flip lever.

I removed the Fumoto to install the Valvomax just to try it out. To me it was more work, when I went to screw in the drain piece, the hose would turn too so I had to screw it on a little, reorient the hose and screw on some more. I had it going into just a regular drain pan, had it been going into an empty bottle it may have been better/different maybe.

I may go back to the Fumoto or regular drain plug. Not sure yet

I worked in a fleet all my life...700+ vehicles all getting an oil change a few times a year.. the fleets solution was to use the Femco system, which has a quick disconnect drain plug and then issue the mechanics the quick disconnect hose. This isn't practical for private end users with a couple vehicles but for a large outfit it was perfect.

advantage was when a entity has multi engine manufacturers with different drainplug sizes , you can buy the correct drain plug adapter but the oil drain hose with quick disconnect is standard and works on all vehicles equipped with the femco drain. No tools necessary
and with the added advantage Femco also stopped the boneheads from stripping the drain plug.

30 ft lbs.?? Hand tight is all I do with a crush washer and no leaks as long as I can remember. :unsure:

30 ft lbs.??
Pretty typical for oil drain plugs - anything from 25-35 ft/lbs is common.

I will say, I use a torque wrench and a new crush washer each time and ~30 ft/lbs is pretty snug. When people use a 15" tool and give it a good, strong grunt when they tighten a drain plug, I suspect they're well above 30 ft/lbs and people wonder why drain plugs or bolts get stripped.

Last edited:
I've always tossed the metal, fiber, etc. washers and used a white nylon washer. I've never had one leak and they last for years, until you see visible cracks.

I came across Oil-Tite drain plug washers which is a metal washer with a rubber inner. Each one is good for several uses.

But a Fumoto valve is also a good option. Assuming it's in a protected spot. On the 3 Subarus that I put one on it was in a nice protected spot.

My Ford PSD has a O-ring built into the drain plug. I like that way of sealing the drain plug

I installed the Fumoto on my accord, like that I don’t need any tools to do an oil change. Just jack up car about 6 inches so I can reach under and remove safety clip and flip lever.

I removed the Fumoto to install the Valvomax just to try it out. To me it was more work, when I went to screw in the drain piece, the hose would turn too so I had to screw it on a little, reorient the hose and screw on some more. I had it going into just a regular drain pan, had it been going into an empty bottle it may have been better/different maybe.

I may go back to the Fumoto or regular drain plug. Not sure yet

Fumoto with nipple is great, no drips and I can drain into empty gallon jug.

Back