Looks like I'm moving back to shelf oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are expensing your oil purchases, why do you care so much for a little price bump in the first place?

Also, there is nothing wrong with shelf oil either, never used Amsoil and don't see myself doing it in the future either.

I've split orders with buds from work. Makes it easy to get to free shipping.

Originally Posted by dubber09
If you are expensing your oil purchases, why do you care so much for a little price bump in the first place?

Also, there is nothing wrong with shelf oil either, never used Amsoil and don't see myself doing it in the future either.

Because there is a limit to what I can expense. If I need a jug and a bit (so 2 jugs) of EP it would cost me $120 at regular price roughly. I was doing the Amsoil for less than that with my discount.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Sounds like Canadians are being scrapped on oil. Here in Illinois an expensive state in the lower 48. We can pick up synthetic for as cheap as $3 a qt at rural king. Granted it's either store brand or lubrigold. Pretty sure they are both made by Warren.

Tell me about it...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by ofelas
EP in all grades is CAD$32.93 per 4.4L jug at CT right now - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ic-engineoil-4-4-l-jug-0289929p.html#srp

Originally Posted by StevieC

EP is expensive up here at $60CDN per jug (~$46 USD) and doesn't go on sale as often as AFE. I also need just over 1 jugs worth to fill the Caravan.
AFE has a good amount of PAO in it so I should be OK but yeah otherwise I'd do EP/AP.

This is what I get... DISCONTINUED Regardless of the stores I pick around me.

EP.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kbmag1
I've split orders with buds from work. Makes it easy to get to free shipping.

If I had folks around me I'd do that and my family are yearly oil change folks with the miles they drive so unless I want to sit on a boatload it's not worth it.

Originally Posted by ofelas
EP in all grades is CAD$32.93 per 4.4L jug at CT right now - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ic-engineoil-4-4-l-jug-0289929p.html#srp

EP is expensive up here at $60CDN per jug (~$46 USD) and doesn't go on sale as often as AFE. I also need just over 1 jugs worth to fill the Caravan.
AFE has a good amount of PAO in it so I should be OK but yeah otherwise I'd do EP/AP.

I bought it at the CT here, so if your partner's parents still live here, maybe have them grab some?

Yes we still have relatives up that way and yeah I could do that but we don't see them often enough so it would put me back into the having to buy a boatload and sit on it.

AFE works for me, even if I have to change it more often and it has to be pretty decent giving its low temperature properties indicating a decent amount of PAO content and it's D1G2 certified so that is way more than the PentaStar needs considering my dad's ran on conventional it's whole life and it's perfectly fine with over 300K and not using any oil.

Last edited:
Amsoil just put up their minimum order for free shipping to $130 CDN and while I can go pick it up at the depot in the Greater Toronto Area (Mississauga - Tomken & Derry area for the locals) with no minimum, it's not really convenient because it's not on any travel routes I take so I'm going to go back to a shelf oil instead.

I was part of the M1 camp before and I have confidence in their products due to past experiences before Amsoil.
(Yes I know not all of their oils except 1 line officially MS-6395 but I don't care it's a B.S. spec from FCA that any quality SN/GF-5 oil can meet).

Sucks because I really like Signature Series but $130 per order is too much and makes it too difficult to expense at work because of invoice dates and amounts.

I will still use their other fluids though because I can usually do a $130 order no problem once an a while.

They really need to rethink the $130 free shipping especially when they are promoting yearly 25,000 mile (40K KM) OCI's with signature series and a typical oil change isn't going to hit $130.
21.gif

Pennzoil Platinum on sale starting Friday @ CT. Buy Buy Buy.

It may not be the EP that's discontinued by Canadian Tire, but that specific container size is being discontinued. Overkill and I think a couple others might have mentioned that Imperial Oil is going away from the 4.4 L jug, thankfully.

I do not see Amsoil in the future if they continue this rediculous price game.

I've used it,but anymore,its not worth the $$$$

Boutique oils are a tough sell when the quality gap has closed to the point we are at now. I've always said if M1 never existed I would have likely been an Amsoil customer. There will still be room for boutique niche products, which Amsoil and others do quite well. Amsoil has experienced growth YOY as far as I know but it will be tough to compete with the major brands and Walmart.

Number one reason I won't use Amsoil or Scheaeffer's oils. Both are great oils no doubt but the MLM scheme and shipping BS just irritate me. I'd rather walk into a store and buy it then and there. Instant gratification!

I'd love to try Schaeffers in my 6.0 PSD as I hear nothing but good about it in the HEUI systems but I'm not spending ~$100+ on an OCI when I will change it every 5-6k miles regardless. Delo or Rotella cost me $60 an OCI on average and work just fine.

Originally Posted by Mau

Pennzoil Platinum on sale starting Friday @ CT. Buy Buy Buy.

I know it's not an option for Steve but for other Canadians, it's a great buy right now, Pennzoil still has the rebate on too, so you get $10 back for that 5L jug! And if you're a Triangle member you might also get an offer this week for 25X the points on synthetic oil (that might work out to about $3 or $4 more CT money in your pocket) I am planning on buying another jug of Ultra 5w20 for my stash to use in the Honda.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Just curious what don't you like about Pennzoil?

I'll PM you because I don't want to start a war here with the SOPUS boys.

I hope you are not basing that opinion on some tea leaf reader with a non disclosure agreement giving you a mental stroking to convince you SOPUS products are in some way inferior.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by diyjake
Just curious what don't you like about Pennzoil?

I'll PM you because I don't want to start a war here with the SOPUS boys.

I hope you are not basing that opinion on some tea leaf reader with a non disclosure agreement giving you a mental stroking to convince you SOPUS products are in some way inferior.

Nope just what I see in the UOA's I pour over for hours and over the years. That's as much as I'll talk about here. Again it's my opinion, people are welcome to form their own and run what they want... For me that will not be Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back