Looking to replace some copper piping to PEX. Pros and Cons?

I've had older solder joints leak and copper water piping form pinhole leaks.. in the kitchen ceiling no less. Wound up having to open up the kitchen ceiling and replace all the copper from the basement to the upstairs full bathroom. Waste piping needed work while it was opened up too. This was some years ago and cost me nearly $2000 to have a plumber do it. Then I had to fix the ceiling. My point is, any piping and coupling/fitting system you choose can have problems, so don't believe for a second pex, plastic or sharkbites are junk or second rate over copper.

For my own DIY work it's sharkbite or equivalent for sure. I haven't used pex myself, but wouldn't hesitate to if I had the need.

Last edited:
I used pex on some plumbing repairs I did on our bungalow. Works great. Used the crimp tool and stainless bands from lows. Bought the pex and elbows etc at a commercial plumbing supply. pex-a is supposed to be the best. Hasn't leaked a drop in over 4 years.
Pex-A is the easiest to work with, more flexible.

I am in Southern Ca. and have a mobile home and replaced the horizontal running pipes with PEX (it moves with earthquakes) and the vertical pipes with copper and sweated on new valves. I cut the old stuff out and just dropped down the copper lines and connected to the PEX. That was about 10 years ago and never had a leak.

And if you're going to use copper, use L pipe, it's a little thicker than M pipe especially if you're going to be going from the basement.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
And if you're going to use copper, use L pipe, it's a little thicker than M pipe especially if you're going to be going from the basement.

I think its also identified by a "Blue" stripe or I think a Red stripe for the thinner grade. I have redone my main line into my basement, installed a shutoff, a hose spigot, a high flow water filter, another shutoff, a check valve, well pump pressure valve, psi gauge, and a pressure tank in my basement. Then another shutoff, another high flow water filter, and another shutoff. All 1 inch "Blue" strip copper pipe because my well pump is about 60 feet away, I was concerned about water hammer effect trying to fill an 86 gallon pressure tank with that length of run. The run was 3/4 inch original when house was built, and had no water filter. Its amazing how many home owners I talk to that don't have a filter in there home when they have a well. Duh...They like dirt in their water.

It was not cheap, but my whole house is copper, and I'm old fashion. As some have mentioned, PEX does not have a real long track record, but there might not be any easy answer other than PEX! Everyone else up here uses PEX!

Late to the party, but I'm a fan of Pex as well. I use the cinch clamps, mainly for easier access in tight places. I will warn you, you will have a decrease in pressure on the lines you installed the Pex. The inside diameter of the barb fittings is smaller than say a copper fitting that goes over the pipe. I recently added a whole house filter and to my dismay ran into this issue using 1/2" Pex (not the filter, in bypass it's the same thing). Going to have to go to 3/4" to get my pressure back.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Pex is great. Sharkbite has fittings which would make it super easy and no tools needed.
If I do a big job, I will use the Uponor pex and fittings.

Uponor Pex is an awesome system, very smart design.

Originally Posted by Delta
Late to the party, but I'm a fan of Pex as well. I use the cinch clamps, mainly for easier access in tight places. I will warn you, you will have a decrease in pressure on the lines you installed the Pex. The inside diameter of the barb fittings is smaller than say a copper fitting that goes over the pipe. I recently added a whole house filter and to my dismay ran into this issue using 1/2" Pex (not the filter, in bypass it's the same thing). Going to have to go to 3/4" to get my pressure back.

Good thing to know. Less pressure and flow.

I'm skeptical about the long term reliability of crimp-type clamps. They are/were the most common source of leaks in polybutylene pipe plumbing systems. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
In doing some digging, one source discussed a flurry of PEX law suits about 10 yrs ago.....PEX pipes splitting for instance. I would hope those issues have been cleared up by now.

A cousin built his house about 2 years ago. The plumber he hired used PEX throughout the whole house. 3 months after moving in a 1/2" line split and flooded the REAL WOODEN floor with almost 2" of water before they knew about it. Thank God for warranties. The WHOLE floor had to be replaced.
I held a journeyman's plumbing card once, and IMHO, I would NEVER install PEX in my home. CPVC or K copper, but NEVER PEX!

Built a house in 2017 and used Uponor PEX throughout for my cold/hot water supply in my crawl spaces via my plumbing contractor who had extensive experience with this product.
I've been very pleased with the results and would recommend anyone building today to check out the Uponor products and talk to several experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors to get their take. The Uponor system does not use the steel clamps with a crimping tool. They have a much better system IMHO.

I will say, sloppy work can/will defeat the best products (regardless of PEX, copper, CPVC, etc.) so the biggest bang for your buck will be in getting whatever system/product you use installed correctly.

Last edited:
This is another post where you see "perhaps they got it all ironed out by now, but....",
A local pizza joint was built about 10 years ago. The owner decided to have the plumbers use PEX. The PEX tubing has developed pin holes in it. These holes are not near a crimp or in an area where it rubs or makes contact with any thing.
Of course, PEX is simple enough to fix that anybody can do it, but that does not make the owner feel any better.
He simply shuts the main water valve off to the building every night at lock-up time.

A plumber would probably use copper pipe, copper compression fittings and a $3000 crimper.

My DE home built around 2001 is all CPVC. No issues.

I would not suggest you consider sweating the copper pipe in that wall cavity. A good plumber could do it without burning down your house. But a novice? Doubt it.

I have doubts if there is room in that cavity to position a $3000 crimper. Probably have to tear out a lot of interference....include the sink and cabinet.

Originally Posted by Saul
Ive installed plenty of PEX with stainless pinch clamps. I prefer them for a few reasons. The tool is much cheaper, you can get a kit off ebay for around $25 with cutters, definitely comes from china but mine has pinched hundreds of clamps. The tool is smaller and the head doesn't have to go around the whole fitting, just a side of it and don't have to swap heads to pinch different sizes. Also, the pinch clamps can be removed with simple hand tools instead of another tool to cut it.

This!

PEX all the way. Buy good quality PEX and fittings and the system will outlast you.

I have a 25' run of some grey plastic (PEX?) It is pushing 30 yrs old. It was easy going in a 2' crawl space. I was working for a plumber at the time as a laborer. . I should have been paying him for the stuff I learned He gave the PEX , the fittings and the use of the crimper.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by dnewton3
.............PEX all the way. Buy good quality PEX and fittings and the system will outlast you.

Can it be assumed if you buy PEX piping and fittings at HD or Lowe's that your are getting quality parts? Or should we go elsewhere for them?

A lot more opinions and suggestions that I could have hoped for. Thanks everyone.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
I have a 25' run of some grey plastic (PEX?) It is pushing 30 yrs old. It was easy going in a 2' crawl space. I was working for a plumber at the time as a laborer. . I should have been paying him for the stuff I learned He gave the PEX , the fittings and the use of the crimper.
grin2.gif

The Grey plastic is like polybutylene. I have it in my place and it's definitely not desirable to have. In fact you can't even find it. Lots of law suits too. Turns out it doesn't like chlorinated water.

Lucky for me, I have a well, so no chlorine. It's been in the place since '92 with no issues. All copper bands for crimps. The problem comes when you want to modify or change - it has a slightly different ID/OD than PEX, so fittings and crimps aren't meant to be used with it, although if you're creative it can be done. There are also adapter fittings to get to PEX as well.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by dnewton3
.............PEX all the way. Buy good quality PEX and fittings and the system will outlast you.

Can it be assumed if you buy PEX piping and fittings at HD or Lowe's that your are getting quality parts? Or should we go elsewhere for them?

A lot more opinions and suggestions that I could have hoped for. Thanks everyone.
thankyou2.gif

I get my PEX tools and fittings at Menards, and I've never had an issue at all after many years of use. I've also not noticed any difference in performance in using the plastic vs. brass fittings; both work well, but plastic costs less.
I like the S/S crimp clamp design because one tool will cover clamp sizes from 3/8" up to 1" all with the same investment.

Here is the tool I have: https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...9.htm?tid=6224848751494548503&ipos=7
I use clamps like this (various sizes): https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi....htm?tid=-7891112426675009576&ipos=2

I'm not brand loyal; these are just what Menards carries and I've had great luck with them.

I used to be a total-copper kind of guy, but the lower cost and complete ease of PEX has converted me. I'll never use anything but PEX again. And while a few decades ago, PEX was a bit of an unknown to the common DIY guy, and may have had some quality issues back in the day, PEX today is mainstream and of very good quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by BubbaFL
For a small job like that, forget the crimp rings and tools. Buy some Sharkbite fittings. Much easier for a small job than screwing with pex crimpers, CPVC glue, or soldering copper. They also make it super-easy to connect pex to your existing copper.

Yeah lots of different types on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/F51E1EAD-AC09-41FE-95E2-96559F466B06

Boy they promise the world. Connect any combination of plastic or copper? I'm intrigued, my new house has a wicked water hammer. From what I can tell, I just need a pipe to hold air, to act as a spring; looking at my lines I'm thinking I wouldn't mind a few shutoff valves in strategic locations while I'm at it. [It's all copper, save for one hackjob CVPC section that I want to remove.]

But would it be wise to use a sharkbite ball valve on a copper line? I'm wondering about forces on opening and closing.

Back