Looking to replace Accord with a new Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you also looked at the Fusions? Smaller size for sure, but I bet interior space is comparable.

Why not check out a Charger like mentioned earlier. I have multiple friends that I work with who own them & they ALL rant & rave about them.

Dale

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
The Taurus is a larger car as far as exterior dimensions, but it is very cramped inside for a large car and does not make good use of its size.

Bingo.

Another important point is the Taurus is a dead and discontinued car,
I would shy away from a newer one and buy a cherry from a few specific more reliable Taurus years if that is what your heart is set on.

Nothing really is a substitute for a Buick, if you like the ride find an older lesabre in good shape and be happy.

My uncle only drives road masters and somehow continues to find them in good shape as he rusts his out so I’m guessing you could find a Lesabre somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
I would shy away from a newer one and buy a cherry from a few specific more reliable Taurus years if that is what your heart is set on.

Wouldn't bother me in the least. They are cop cars and that alone should mean parts availability for the sedan specific bits will remain high. The rest of the drivetrain is shared with the Explorer (AWD, brakes, etc) and the Duratec 3.5/6F500 has been made for years so those bits will be available for a long time too.

The Impalas are nice vehicles as well. An Avalon or the Genesis would be about the next closest competitor in size. The others (Mopar) are just as dead and dated and with less reliability to boot.

Last edited:
Doesn't Ford have to (by law) carry parts for 10 years? If they sold a decent amount of them then the aftermarket will have parts. Might be able to get a good deal on a "zombie" car.

It seems like you have done everything to the Accord except the wheels or the hubs. With a family coming I think I would just give up like you too. What's your plan? Fix it when you have time or just trade it in?

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Wouldn't bother me in the least. They are cop cars and that alone should mean parts availability for the sedan specific bits will remain high. The rest of the drivetrain is shared with the Explorer (AWD, brakes, etc) and the Duratec 3.5/6F500 has been made for years so those bits will be available for a long time too.

The Impalas are nice vehicles as well. An Avalon or the Genesis would be about the next closest competitor in size. The others (Mopar) are just as dead and dated and with less reliability to boot.

Me either. Right now they are a screaming value.
The biggest issue is that they are inefficiently designed regarding interior space and there are options that better address that metric.
Given that, if the price is right, why not?

The more I look, the more I am starting to really like the Impala.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It seems like you have done everything to the Accord except the wheels or the hubs. With a family coming I think I would just give up like you too. What's your plan? Fix it when you have time or just trade it in?

I am thinking on selling it outright, unless trade-in could come close to what I want.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
Originally Posted By: wemay
Why not an Impala? I looked into a newer Taurus for a friend and the interior space for how large the car is overall wasn't impressive. Nice car, just not as roomy as i thought it would be.

I agree 100% with this.

Me three!

+4

If you do decide to get a 3.5 Taurus and it's used, make SURE to have the water pump changed ASAP
Ford has a silly design where they buried the pump INSIDE the crankcase. So when it fails, the coolant/water gets mixed in with the oil, and essentially destroys your engine in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: redhat
The more I look, the more I am starting to really like the Impala.

Having driven several of both, I much prefer the Impala to the Taurus. Better engine, more room, better ride.

However, the Impala is also based on an old platform that will probably be going the way of the wind soon.

Have you considered a Sonata or even a Genesis G70? Or G80?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Outdated design car. Make sure the pricing reflects(massively) that if it appeals to you. Good luck
+1 It's a 10 year old car

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Saw a Taurus in my rear view mirror on the way home from work tonight. I drove real slow thinking it was a cop. It was a cop. Thought he was undercover or something. Ha. Drive a Camry if you want to be undercover.

Ford tech here, the Taurus is a great buy. Let me clear up a few things. First, the rear pumps on awd models is not an issue on Taurus. That was a 500/Freestyle issue. Second, Taurus seems to have far less PTU issues than Edge or Explorer. Exhaust placement has nothing to do with it. A seal between the trans and ptu goes bad, allowing atf (7.5w) into the gear oil in the ptu (75w140 aka ~50w) Its an extended warranty repair though, and the new design is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back