Looking of new mattress...head spinning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco has those boxed, foam mattresses. $699 for a king. Pretty comfy. Costco has been selling them for many years. I purchased one years ago and it held up just fine. Final cost, about $100/year.

Last edited:
I've decided to start looking for a mattress, because I've been sleeping on a mattress that I inherited from my grandparents. I think it's a good mattress - it's a Serta Perfect Sleeper "Ciera". But it's at least 34 years old, because I remember them having this bed and mattress set from the time they moved into their house in 1983. I inherited the bedroom furniture set, along with the bed, in 2001, when my grandmother died, and I've been sleeping on it ever since.

It's in good shape - I flip it often, but in the last year or so I've been noticing a little lower back stiffness/soreness. Nothing bad, but it makes me think that maybe the mattress is not supporting that area very well. There's no bad sag in the center of the mattress or anything, but it does seem just a little bit saggy in that area.

Anyway, I've decided to start looking around. And, having never bought a mattress before, just like the OP said in the title, my head is spinning!

Just a little info about me - I'm 6'2", 180 lbs, and I am planning on staying with this frame and box spring set (as long as there's no reason to swap out the box springs). I do think I will want something firm. I've done a little bit of reading, and I'm sort of suspicious of the memory foam, because, for one thing, they say it gets hot, and I'm already hot-natured and sleep with 2 fans blowing on me.

Also, I tend to sleep sort of equally on all sides - back, stomach and side. Typically I'll go to sleep on my back or side, then roll over onto my stomach at some point about halfway through the night.

I don't think I'm interested in an air mattress, because I don't think I'd ever care about adjusting it to be firmer or softer.

I think my main concern would be that it maintains support for years.

Money-wise, I'm not sure, because I just started looking and haven't gotten an idea yet of what's available and for what prices. I tend to be someone who wants quality, but doesn't have to have the absolute best. Like anybody else, I like to get a lot for my money.

With most of my purchases, I feel that, at some point, returns are diminishing, and I typically buy around that point - say, a 7 out of 10. So, I don't mind spending some money, as I believe the initial pain of spending a little more will be forgotten long before the regret I might have from cheaping out.

Anyway, I appreciate the info everyone has already put into this thread, and obviously I welcome any additional info/opinion anyone wants to add.

It's funny when they say you can "test out" the mattress haha
wink.gif
grin.gif

Wouldn't hurt. There are several stores in our metro area, but the prices from their print ads seemed high, so they got eliminated quickly. When we purchased a new mattress ten months ago, we found a Sears sale to be the best price. That was the first time I had made a major purchase at Sears in five or six years. Visit several stores to get a feel for pricing, once you settle on what you really want.

Have a genuine TempurPedic that is ten yrs old. I forget what tier it was in their lineup at the time, I think one click above the base model. Queen size. It's a mixed bag. It is very temperature dependent, pile on blankets and get too hot in bed and forget it, the Tempur foam gets mushy and warm and too soft and you're screwed for the night on comfort even if you rip all blankets off the foam retains heat for quite a while and stays too soft quite a while. But, if you don't get stupid with blankets it's usually okay. I understand the technology around memory foam has improved a lot since 2007 so I'm sure the new ones are fine. Guess the best way to describe this one I have is "when it it's bad, it's very Bad... but when it's good it's very Good."

Yeah, the fact that memory foam is hot rules those out for me.

Anybody used a latex mattress? Do those sleep hot? One member here said that latex over innerspring is a really good combo.

We just purchased a Purple mattress and base, i'm excited as it's different than every other foam bed out there. It's scheduled to show up today. I'll update with a review on it tomorrow.

It's replacing a 10 year old name brand bed that has a few inches of memory foam on top. It was a good bed for the first 5-6 years. After that it began to sag/lose firmness and is killing our bodies now. I wake up sore every day.

Last edited:
I stopped by 2 local mattress stores this afternoon - Mattress King and Sleep Outfitters.

I tried Tempur Pedic, Sealy Posturepedic, Stearns & Foster, Serta Perfect Sleeper, and Simmons Beautyrest.

The Tempur Pedic was the only pure memory foam mattress I tried. Of the other brands, I tried models that had the "pillow top", "hybrid", meaning memory foam over innerspring, and then regular innerspring with no memory foam or pillow top.

Of all those, the Simmons Beautyrest Platinum (their mid-to-upper level) Amberlyn Extra Firm felt the best. Seemed to have very good lower back support, which is what I'm after.

I'm still a bit suspicious of the new single-sided, non-flippable mattresses, as I've always had a double-sided, flippable mattress. But neither store I went to had ANY double-sided mattresses. And I'm suspicious of buying a mattress online that I haven't at least laid on for a minute.

We have a coil mattress where the coils are isolated and wrapped in memory foam.

It is from Ikea, and it has held up pretty well.

Normally I never liked Ikea mattresses, but this was the exception.

They mistakenly had marked it like 50 percent off, and they honored the price on the spot.

If I recall we got the wood bed frame, mattress, and a few dressers, etc for $900. It is a king bed.

We purchased the Platinum Extra Firm last year and are very happy with it. We prefer a very firm mattress and this one filled the bill. It has done well thus far.

The wife and I went from a 10 year old Tempur-Pedic Queen sized clone (which was worn out) to a California King Sleep Number bed about five years ago (c5?) and really liked it until recently. I normally sleep with a fairly soft setting of 45 or so (I'm 6'2", 300lb). For the last three months I wake up with a sore back that feels very much like I've pulled a lower back muscle (pretty sure I haven't) and sore balls of my feet. After a 5 day vacation on a "standard" bed away from home, my back feels about 50% better and for the last two nights I've kept my setting at 75 with again about a 50% improvement from before.

I say all that to say that I suspect my bed is the issue and I don't know if the Sleep Number bed (no complaints until now) has the solution.
So, if I were in the market today, I'd look at the "Purple" bed I recently watched a sales commercial on.

Purple Bed

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have a memory foam mattress...it is a "Bob-O-Pedic" from Bob's Discount Furniture.

I just bought one of those from Bob's six months ago. Couldn't be happier. Have not noticed any heat retention.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have a memory foam mattress...it is a "Bob-O-Pedic" from Bob's Discount Furniture.

I just bought one of those from Bob's six months ago. Couldn't be happier. Have not noticed any heat retention.

Just wait until the ice melts.....
lol.gif

Anybody heard of Shifman Mattresses out of Newark?

A mattress outlet called Mark's Mattress Outlet has a couple, one of which is a very firm Shifman Original Handmade mattress that is listed on Bloomingdale's website at $5551.00! The sales guy said it is very firm, which is what I'm looking for.

Mark's Mattress Outlet is offering it for $899. The catch is that it has a dirty spot on it from where the bag tore during shipping, and, being that it's not from one of their authorized retailers, there would be no warranty.

Right now Bloomingdales has 50% off of those mattresses with the cheapest new one being $1300.

Link

Of course that's for a tiny one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Right now Bloomingdales has 50% off of those mattresses with the cheapest new one being $1300.

Link

Yeah, I looked at their site. They list the Original model in a King size (the size I need) at $5551.

I think I'm going to go check it out. I'll stop by the other store and lay on the Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Extra Firm again beforehand for comparison.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Link

Yeah, I looked at their site. They list the Original model in a King size (the size I need) at $5551.

I think I'm going to go check it out. I'll stop by the other store and lay on the Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Extra Firm again beforehand for comparison.

Well, I went and looked at that Shifman. Wasn't blown away by it, and with the fact that there was no warranty or return or exchange available on it, I decided against it.

So far, the best-feeling mattress I've experienced is the Simmons Beautyrest Black Series Extra Firm "Callista". It is a tad softer than their Platinum Series Extra Firm "Amberlyn" - maybe a 7/10 on firmness vs. the 8/10 of the Amberlyn. But it's also at least $1000 more than the Amberlyn. So, I'm not sure it's THAT much more comfortable than the Amberlyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back