Looking for tires for the Neon

Yes, back when dunlops were my go to. But they did wear fast if anything was out of line…

I am a fan of coopers, I have cs4 and cs5 in my fleet, and recently got their latest on my 350sd….

my new 190d needed tires and I was in Nevada, not much supply in the now obsolete size. Walmart in Henderson had them in my required size, made in usa, and I’ve been happy with them…. I’d recommend them for any vehicle that rides comfortably. Not sure if they would be too soft if you want a firmer tire and ride…

The prices that op cited sound awfully expensive for that size…

Not just because of the low cost of the Douglas that I’ve bought recently, but also the cooper endeavors that I’ve also bought recently in a larger size. Mounted, OTD…
I have experience with the Douglas all seasons on a wide range of vehicles. I personally don't like them them, due to the fact that I always seem to end up with at least one with a broken belt. On top of that,
Even on the front of my 85 Mercedes 190d, (a rear wheel drive car that only weighs 2600 pounds) they didn't even make it to twenty thousand miles before reaching the wear bars. At this point, I would rather run the 38 year old oem spare then purchase them again. The only tire that I think is worse than the Douglas all season is the general altimax artic 12.

I have experience with the Douglas all seasons on a wide range of vehicles. I personally don't like them them, due to the fact that I always seem to end up with at least one with a broken belt. On top of that,
Even on the front of my 85 Mercedes 190d, (a rear wheel drive car that only weighs 2600 pounds) they didn't even make it to twenty thousand miles before reaching the wear bars. At this point, I would rather run the 38 year old oem spare then purchase them again. The only tire that I think is worse than the Douglas all season is the general altimax artic 12.
Interesting, the car I installed them on was a 1985 190d. I’ve put about 1200 miles or so on them so far and they’ve been good. A broken belt would be lousy…

I remember @JTK recommending Douglas tires years ago. Which made me put them on the short list if I need a decent budget tire. Plus made in the USA as mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
No I havent ever run dedicated snow tires but have considered a few times. I'm really looking for a consistent tire that will last.

Interesting, the car I installed them on was a 1985 190d. I’ve put about 1200 miles or so on them so far and they’ve been good. A broken belt would be lousy…
The broken belts that I saw on customer cars (and my own as well) occurred mostly on heavier cars like the gm w body, ford Taurus/sable, gm cuvs and by a wide margin Mopar minivans. (Poor tread life was across the board) The local roads don't help, but these are very bottom of the barrel, in my opinion used tires are a step up. For what it's worth, Starfire tires are a pretty good lower cost option, they are Cooper's budget brand. The solarus AS held up pretty well to Taxi service/abuse, but was so-so in snow.

You know the Neon had its own spec race series?

They're good little cars and I'm upset that I didn't see the first gen for what they could be back when they were $500.

OP, I'd buy the Vredestein.

Still kicking myself for selling my first gen for $800. That little car was a blast to drive and got me to HS, college and every job I ever had up until my current one.

As for the tires, Generals are pretty darn good, I'm also a fan of generic branded Coopers like Mastercraft.

I run Douglas tires on a Neon before, absolutely no problems. Currently running Douglas on my Toyota also no problems.

They are made by Goodyear.

You know the Neon had its own spec race series?

They're good little cars and I'm upset that I didn't see the first gen for what they could be back when they were $500.

OP, I'd buy the Vredestein.
I had a 2003 Neon, the original owner beat the hell out of it, I was not easy on the car myself.

They are actually reliable cars, people will claim the automatic transmissions are junk but they aren't the problem is the solenoid pack on top of the transmission commonly goes out and it is almost always misdiagnosed as a bad transmission when in reality it is a $150 part and 20 minute job, the worst part of the job is cleaning the area prior to removal.

Is the car a mtx or atx? If it's mtx I'd consider running a 185/65R15 for better ride, less noise, and slightly longer gearing for mpg. I went from 195/60R15's on the Focus, to 195/65R15's and I haven't found a downside yet?
If you have an ATX I don't know how much torque reserve you have left in top gear, I upsized the tires slightly on our 2006 CRV and it couldn't pull them well on 55mph roads, it downshifted too much as top gear was optimized for mpg with the stock tire size.

Bridgestone has an additional $70 mail-in rebate on top of the $40 instant rebate from TR

The Altimax 365AW is a good tire I can recommend with no problem.

The Toyo Celsius and Nokian WRG4 are also quality tires that are less expensive, if money is a concern.

Michelin makes the Agilis CrossClimate in your size. $144 each plus a $50 rebate on the set of 4

I think it’s funny when people say “generic” branded coopers. That’s what most think of coopers to start with. Just because they have raised their prices doesn’t make them a first tier tire brand

Hard to go wrong with any michelins. Inquire at the tire store of what they have for your size. They may be able to still locate some michelins. It’s a neon, yes, but if you are actually using everyday then get a tire that isn’t a POS junk off brand

I’d rather have good to great tires on an average car than junk tires on a super car

I'm down to 4/32nds on the current Michelins and am looking for a replacement. It's been a while since ive shopped. Now that I'm commuting longer and working a job that i need to get to I've narrowed some choices feel free to throw in some others. No Chinese tires, as I don't trust them. Tire size is 185/60R15 I'm thinking
A) Bridgestone weatherpeak. Kinda pricey never had Bridgestone tires. $180/Tire with $40 rebate.
B) Vredsten Quatrac way more affordable at $117/ tire
C) General Altimax $114/ tire

I originally ran Pirellis but they didn't last. The current Michelin seem to be well made.

Thoughts?
Congratulations on the neon, I haven't seen one locally in a long, long time. Personally, I'd go with the least expensive all season tire I could find (Douglas tire Walmart) I always thought neons were cool when they first came out.

I had the Dunlop D60 A2's Hated. Replaced it with some Pep Boys Futura tire back then and they were much better. Knew a lot of people that hated the D60 A2's also.

Back to the OP...

what not consider the General Altimax 365AW or Altimax RT45.

Somehow the 365AW has a higher UTQG (640) than the RT45 (600), but a shorter mileage warranty (60,000 miles vs 75,000 miles) with the same tread depth (11/32")

I'm down to 4/32nds on the current Michelins and am looking for a replacement. It's been a while since ive shopped. Now that I'm commuting longer and working a job that i need to get to I've narrowed some choices feel free to throw in some others. No Chinese tires, as I don't trust them. Tire size is 185/60R15 I'm thinking
A) Bridgestone weatherpeak. Kinda pricey never had Bridgestone tires. $180/Tire with $40 rebate.
B) Vredsten Quatrac way more affordable at $117/ tire
C) General Altimax $114/ tire

I originally ran Pirellis but they didn't last. The current Michelin seem to be well made.

Thoughts?
Why not a new set of Michelins? I love the fact that you have a Neon. If only Chrysler could build something like that again that wasn't a clone of a European car.

Back