Looking for the best UV protection Wax/Sealant.

I have several boats, cars and an aircraft under my care. I have been using some retail waxes such as meguiars 50, Shurhold pro polish, meguiars gold paste, 303 on rubber and soft goods. These product seem ok, but I would like to hear what you guys think is the best of the best, primary concern is UV damage in direct sunlight. Surfaces are Gelcoat (boats/yachts), polyurethane paint (Yachts/plane), clearcoat (Cars).

Last edited:
I'm not sure the makers publish what type or amount of UV protection they put in their products. Also there is little testing that I am aware of that will prove how much protection UV inhibitors offer in real word conditions.

Having said that, I always look for products that advertise UV protection as part of their formula. The longest lasting product I've found that is EASY to apply would be Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. The next step up IMO would be a ceramic coat. But that would take significantly longer to apply over such a large area, not to mention the price.

There are marine waxes and sealants, and aircraft waxes and sealants. Can you use them on cars? Yes but they may not be ideal. Boats have gel coats, aircraft have a urethane paint finish, and cars have urethane clear coats. Sealants last longer than waxes. A wax over a sealant would give extra protection. Most products say if they contain UV protection. I would expect ceramic coatings to be universally applicable.

I have several boats, cars and an aircraft under my care. I have been using some retail waxes such as meguiars 50, Shurhold pro polish, meguiars gold paste, 303 on rubber and soft goods. These product seem ok, but I would like to hear what you guys think is the best of the best, primary concern is UV damage in direct sunlight. Surfaces are Gelcoat (boats/yachts), polyurethane paint (Yachts/plane), clearcoat (Cars).
Just asking ....... where does Collonite 845 rank here for UV?

Personally, I’d use Menzerna Power Lock Plus sealant followed by Collinite 845 and call it a day. On everything.

However, why not contact the manufacturers directly (Collinite, Meguiars, Pinnacle, Menzerna (Jescar)) and ask their recommendations?

I asked Collinite this exact question, and they recommend Super Double Coat Auto Wax #476

303 Protectant claims 30 days. Even their marine grade stuff says the same rating.

Looks like I am shifting gears to some real UV protection.

1649522541690.jpg

Id like to know too - ive tried almost everything - 3 months before light oxidation starts... starting to think about clear wrapping

Pick something and apply it once a month. That isn't going to happen where I live in the winter, but for those of you that don't have much of a winter that's probably your best bet if parking outside. Your best UV protection is going to be a garage.

UV protection is unproven with any of these products. I suppose the sacrificial layer you throw on top of the clear coat does something, but likely not much. The only one of interest is the Optimum Car Wax, which has UV inhibitors which per Dr. G migrate through the clear coat. Like interior materials, most have UV protection built in and adding anything on top likely does very little.

Id like to know too - ive tried almost everything - 3 months before light oxidation starts... starting to think about clear wrapping
Give Gyeon Can Coat a try. It's as easy as applying any other sealant and goes strong for 6-12 months.

Back