Looking for Quiet All Terrains

Maybe you might like Highway Terrain (HT) tires like the General Grabber HTS60 :unsure:
I'm thinking the Continentals would be just right for what I use it for.

It actually sometimes gets used as a Jeep. Most Jeeps are used like minivans and will never see dirt.

Here it is:
D1B46D12-112F-47D0-88F9-A3D91856F8A2.jpeg

288E1327-C868-4918-A95C-3993583067D9.jpeg

I have the AT3 4S and don't find them unreasonable.
Agree. I have those as well. Now the original set before they were 4S were very noisy on my wife's Jeep GC (Overland trim level) towards the end of the tire's life. Replaced those with the 4S version and so far still quiet at 23k miles. I have them on my truck as well.

So beyond being captain obvious.. basically a tire such as the yokohama g015?

That's the thing, it's not obvious which tire to pick since there are many that are progressively more and more like a road tire in decreasing noise and off-road performance, some, or more, or even more, etc. Nick1994 will have to decide how much of a compromise to make.

I had extremely good luck with Firestone Destination A/T. I had 27" (215/75/15) tires on my CR-V. Very quiet tires on the road, impressive traction on rain, snow, and ice. Super comfy on washboard roads and gravel/rocky forest trails (with 15-20 psi). Did well on sand (with 13-15 psi) and overall just an awesome tire. The wear on the tire was very slow as well.

I have Kumho Road Venture AT-51 on my Ridgeline and have been very satisfied with them. Purchased at a Discount Tire store at avery attractive price. But like almost all other AT tires, they are noisy, not loud, especially on very smooth blacktop surfaces. If you want to save a few sheckles over the major brand names, take a look at Kumho and Hankook. Also the Milestar Patagonia A/T gets positive reviews.

[QUOTE="I Toyo Open Country A/T III
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what was so hilarious about my comment... But anyway, I've owned the Toyo A/T, Toyo A/T 2, and have ridden and driven the Toyo A/T 3's. The original A/T wore fast. The A/T 2 wore better, but it's wet traction was lacking (just like the BFG KO2). The A/T 3 isn't particularly quiet, but has better wet and snow traction than the A/T 2.

I also have Toyo C/T's on the Dually. They do the job they were intended to do, which is offer greater traction than the H/T tires it came with.

I'm not sure what was so hilarious about my comment... But anyway, I've owned the Toyo A/T, Toyo A/T 2, and have ridden and driven the Toyo A/T 3's. The original A/T wore fast. The A/T 2 wore better, but it's wet traction was lacking (just like the BFG KO2). The A/T 3 isn't particularly quiet, but has better wet and snow traction than the A/T 2.

I also have Toyo C/T's on the Dually. They do the job they were intended to do, which is offer greater traction than the H/T tires it came with.
The fact you’re suggesting KO2s.

For dry, desert conditions since it sees trail time, and if you can tolerate the LT tire construction, I'd go with the BFG KO2.

Here's a recent thread to consider: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...hway-use-or-stick-with-my-all-seasons.344872/

I've owned lots of A/T's. Every tire is a compromise. You just have to decide what the priorities are.

I’m on my second vehicle with BFG All Terrain KO2s and love them. Shockingly quiet when new, especially considering the tread pattern. I haven’t had them long enough to say much beyond 17,000 miles on my last truck but so far they are great.image.jpg

The 14' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 needs new tires soon. Currently have Cooper Discoverer AT3's in the stock 265/50-20 size. Thinking of going up to 275/55-20 as tire choices are pretty limited in the stock size. Seems like a popular size in the Grand Cherokee forums, won't rub. I'm also leveling out the front with Bilstein 5100's.

The Coopers are really loud though. Looking for something quieter but that still has a little aggressiveness to it. Need good road manners but can also handle rough hard rocky roads. Nothing wet.

That's weird, have always heard the Coopers are quiet, if rotated. That said,

yokohama geolandar g015 is the best mild all terrain.

I wasnt happy with the ride on the terraincontact AT .. might have just been my size but it felt like wobbling down the road.

The toyo opencountry AT III is a great tire but they do have a hum and drive like lightweight BFG's
ie Far from quiet.
This would be my choice as well.

BFG came out with a new tire, the Trail Terrain T/A. It’s a T/A hybrid that’s 3PMSF rated. I liked the specs and look but they weren’t avaialable in the size I needed so I got the K02s.

I'm thinking the Continentals would be just right for what I use it for.

It actually sometimes gets used as a Jeep. Most Jeeps are used like minivans and will never see dirt.

Here it is:
View attachment 75958
View attachment 75960
nick, the special sauce of the conti’s is probably in the rubber compound. Neither the conti nor the g015 will be worth much in the mud, but hardpack to soft stuff should be fine. The conti has had the longest lasting wet pavement grip of anything I’ve owned, which is sort of interesting because they are not overly siped. The g015 probably has more “edges” but as I said earlier they fall slightly behind in grip.

previous tires I can compare to are worn Michelin LTS (came used), 2 sets of Bridgestone revo 2s, cooper RTW, Firestone LE and LE2.

i had to run mine about 2-3 pounds above placard pressure to balance out the cornering I like with taller sidewalls; with your GC placard pressure might be spot on. I think you’d be happy with them.

[QUOTE="I The fact you’re suggesting KO2s.
[/QUOTE]

How much experience do you have with various A/T tires? I've owned a bunch. I didn't choose the BFG KO2 either on the current 4wd trail exploring vehicle, because wet traction was important.

I've owned every version of the BFG A/T since the 80's. While the KO2 is better in the wet than the older versions, it's still lacking compared to other A/T's. However, the OP clearly said he wasn't concerned about wet traction, and seeing that he takes it out on dry desert trails (where the KO2 shines), and the fact that it's not as loud as some A/T tires, makes it a good candidate for the OP.

I have the Continental All-Terrains on my Commander and have been extremely happy with them They are very quiet, handle well and are wearing better than the OEM Goodyears or the Yokohama All Terrains I had prior. The Yokohamas were the model before the GO 15. They were good tires but were much noisier than the Contis and wore faster.

Which is why I mentioned the Conti A/T's, which are available in his OE size and do not have an overly aggressive tread pattern:
co_terraincontact_at_full.jpg

Which are a bit milder than the Cooper:
cp_discoverer_at3_xlt_full.jpg

While not completely giving up on being an AT.
I had the General Tire APT in 275 (like the upper picture) on my 2018 Z71 … Great tires …

Last edited:
How much experience do you have with various A/T tires? I've owned a bunch. I didn't choose the BFG KO2 either on the current 4wd trail exploring vehicle, because wet traction was important.

I've owned every version of the BFG A/T since the 80's. While the KO2 is better in the wet than the older versions, it's still lacking compared to other A/T's. However, the OP clearly said he wasn't concerned about wet traction, and seeing that he takes it out on dry desert trails (where the KO2 shines), and the fact that it's not as loud as some A/T tires, makes it a good candidate for the OP.
I and my father have some experience with them you could say, owning multiple 4x4 vehicles over 35 years between us. I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seriously heard say that the KO2 is not as loud as some AT tires. Interesting.

[QUOTE="I I and my father have some experience with them you could say, owning multiple 4x4 vehicles over 35 years between us. I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seriously heard say that the KO2 is not as loud as some AT tires. Interesting.
[/QUOTE]
The new K02 are silent and smooth as glass. I’m blown away how awesome these are compared to my Goodyear Duratracs which were loud and vibrated at 80 mph.

The new K02 are silent and smooth as glass. I’m blown away how awesome these are compared to my Goodyear Duratracs which were loud and vibrated at 80 mph.
There’s been quite a few reports on the Duratracs either not balancing properly or being out of round. Eerily similar to BFG about 5-15 years ago.

Back