Looking for new car is brutal theses days.....

SUV's are deathtraps ....I thought that treehugger rhetoric was long passed . I guess the Bernie Sanders movement reignited a lot of old passions from that crowd .

The Equinox seems to be highly discounted and in stock in abundance. How bad an they be?

real example near me:

click me:
2021 Equinox LS AWD

The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox is among the most popular compact crossovers, but mass consumption doesn't mean it's truly compelling. Sure, the Chevy has plentiful passenger room, a feature-laden infotainment system, and athletic handling. However, it falls short in terms of interior quality and storage space compared with its competitors. While all-wheel drive is optional, all Equinox models are powered by the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The spendier trim levels push prices into expensive territory but people who are committed to the bow-tie brand and unfazed by mediocrity will appreciate the 2022 Equinox.

The price you shows seems reasonable though.

Underpowered and frequently out of breath, the Equinox's turbo four-cylinder engine won't win any fans with its sluggish performance. The turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder makes 170 horsepower, and when paired with the optional (and heavier) all-wheel-drive system (front-wheel drive is standard), it takes a heavy foot to hustle the Equinox up to highway speeds. The standard six-speed automatic shifts seamlessly, and in the interest of fuel economy, the gearbox is reluctant to downshift when extra power is needed. Agreeable and easy to drive, the Equinox handles competently, and its steering is accurate and direct. The ride is a bit harsh, particularly with the optional 19-inch wheels (17s or 18s are standard), and rougher stretches of road transmit some unpleasantness into the cabin. The Chevy can also tow up to 3500 pounds, when properly equipped.

The price you shows seems reasonable though.
supton
Thanks for the research. But I ignore MOST auto journalists and make my own decisions, They are frequently full of it.
Information is good to have and I throw it in my brian bucket to combine with my actual experience..

Most CUV are somewhat underpowered by 2020 standards but not by my lifelong standards
and 50 ! years of driving experience.

Good oil and fuel. quality makes most of them peppy enough for day to day usage.

Here is a 2020 terrain with same engine.

The engine sounds surprisingly good!

click below for fun:

GM 1.5T 0-60

We just bought a 2021 Subaru Outback for 26K new 2 weeks ago. 2 grand off no strings. everyone is buying compact Crosstrecks
or LARGE SUV.
Do I recommend any of these?
NO.
Subaru have cheapened their cars to add tech and maintain affordability.
They are not the Jewels that my wife's old 2017 was or that my 2011 outback was.
I wouldnt buy a car (or a house) right now. Unless you have a high value trade.
Then the numbers will even out.
My wife is split between a new outback and a VW Tiguan. Inventory isn’t doing us any favors.

I'd go with the Tiguan, an R line if you can swing it.
Interior quality and powertrain of VW compared to Subaru is night and day, at least to me.

supton
Thanks for the research. But I ignore MOST auto journalists and make my own decisions, They are frequently full of it.
Information is good to have and I throw it in my brian bucket to combine with my actual experience..

Most CUV are somewhat underpowered by 2020 standards but not by my lifelong standards
and 50 ! years of driving experience.

Good oil and fuel. quality makes most of them peppy enough for day to day usage.

Here is a 2020 terrain with same engine.

The engine sounds surprisingly good!

click below for fun:

GM 1.5T 0-60
Seemed slow off the line? Almost looked liked it needed one more gear down, but maybe the video just makes it look boring, perhaps it's traction limited (he did say it was FWD and no doubt it can't put it down anyhow).

I don't test drive very much, only when I start thinking about buying, which is not that often--so I'm stuck going off of "professional" reviews and of course, BITOG reviews.

My wife is split between a new outback and a VW Tiguan. Inventory isn’t doing us any favors.
Neither of those engines are great. I would shop something else.
I would guess the tiguan has better seats than the subaru but
that 2.0 T detuned is a dog and VW's long warranty disappeared and
its now the shortest ive seen for powertrain at 4 years/ 50K

We only paid 26K for outback a couple weeks ago before trade.
We don't have sales tax here either :)

Seemed slow off the line? Almost looked liked it needed one more gear down, but maybe the video just makes it look boring, perhaps it's traction limited (he did say it was FWD and no doubt it can't put it down anyhow).

I don't test drive very much, only when I start thinking about buying, which is not that often--so I'm stuck going off of "professional" reviews and of course, BITOG reviews.
Seemed spunky to me compared to CVT that typically don't redline till 40 MPH - which is the main reason why people hate them -
and they don't even know it.

The Equinox has really low gearing - a WOT shift at 25mph is insanely low.
The Auto shifted at 25/40/52/67
I'm impressed with this engine sound and NVH, seems better than the VW or the Honda.
I would have to spend a week behind the wheel to give it a good judgement.

We sold our Mustang GT for this.

My wife is in full baby buggy mode so I’m resigned to probably not having any pep in the motor. I did not like the buzzy Subaru CVT but I could probably get used to it if I have to.

I really leave the decision up to her. She’s not a fan of the other in-class options. 🤷‍♂️

Baby buggy mode is funny.
I recall being at home always until I was old enough to walk - other than a
baptism. So no baby buggy required.

I wouldn't mind going to a baptism in a Mustang V8 !
But, I would prefer a Galaxie 500 with a 390 V8

It really depends on the situation. My 2019 Toyota Tundra was worth so much, I couldn't pass up trading it in on something more economical until I retire. I bought it new in 2019 for $38,800. It had 42,000 miles on it. Carvana was offering me $42,500 for it and I only owed $22,468. That is insane! I printed it off and took it to my local Honda dealer and they matched it! I bought a 2021 Honda Civic fully loaded for an awesome price. Made out like a bandit. Super happy with the car as well.

When I retire in 5 years and no longer have my long 540 mile hwy drive each week, I will go back to a truck.

You may rethink that if gasoline is $5-6-7 a gallon in five years.

whew - we ended up with an Atlas with the 2.0T. Very happy with it. Dealer offered a 25/250k power train warranty. long enough I think lol

I was thinking about upgrading my Tacoma to a new one with 4x4 and a V-6 engine....not gonna happen this year and I doubt things will get much better moving forward.

Back