Looking for new car is brutal theses days.....

We have been looking for my G.F. a new car for or used with say 30k and under miles for about 6 weeks....first stop was Toyota and RAV4 were they would only come down about 500 bucks off sticker...then made up some fake charges that were over 1k.....I got up an walked.
Toyota builds good cars but the dealer network sucks.
She likes the Buick Enclave so we have started looking at used ones....same problem.....the car is listed so high we should just buy new to get full factory warranty.
I read a few months ago the new price is sticker price and dealers are getting over sticker for "hot" models like Kia's new SUV is going for 5k over sticker....
We were talking these morn about it....at our age it will be the last car she buys...I drive about 6-7k a year and she drives about 5k a year.
I told her you cant take it with you so get what you want...since it will be last SUV you will buy.....so I hope tomorrow we can get her white Buick Enclave and enjoy it....and not get so depressed on the price.

Yeah no fun. We retired our Crown Victoria a couple weeks ago. Shopping the used car market is painful to say the least as well.

We have been looking for my G.F. a new car for or used with say 30k and under miles for about 6 weeks....first stop was Toyota and RAV4 were they would only come down about 500 bucks off sticker...then made up some fake charges that were over 1k.....I got up an walked.
Toyota builds good cars but the dealer network sucks.
She likes the Buick Enclave so we have started looking at used ones....same problem.....the car is listed so high we should just buy new to get full factory warranty.
I read a few months ago the new price is sticker price and dealers are getting over sticker for "hot" models like Kia's new SUV is going for 5k over sticker....
We were talking these morn about it....at our age it will be the last car she buys...I drive about 6-7k a year and she drives about 5k a year.
I told her you cant take it with you so get what you want...since it will be last SUV you will buy.....so I hope tomorrow we can get her white Buick Enclave and enjoy it....and not get so depressed on the price.
I don't know your ages, but driving that few miles why not consider a lease, one can lease even a slightly used car, so that when you don't need it all you have to do is turn it in. I had a friend who did it.

Te Law of Supply and Demand is in full effect. Prices of both new and used cars have gone way up due to the several factors. Now is not a time to buy a car, (or a house) if you can wait 6 or 12 months you should be able to buy a much better car than if you buy one now. There is no incentive to reduce prices so dealers are doing just that, prices will come down, you just have to wait and be patient. Car prices aren't the only things that have gone up, lumber, steel, beef, chicken haveall skyrocketed due to supply chain issues once the market stabalises prices will/should go down.

He may not have experienced anything in the 80s and before, or anything with an air cooled engine behind you…

You might want to look at cars that are not in the "mainstream media", such as Mercedes or even Land Rover. Yes, they may cost a bit more than you're willing to spend, but you'll never know until you look. Certainly beats paying a dealer premium.
I have never been stiffed by a Mercedes dealer on certified used, which ultimately have the full factory warranty. When you see a lot full of used cars, you might want to check it out.

I don't know your ages, but driving that few miles why not consider a lease, one can lease even a slightly used car, so that when you don't need it all you have to do is turn it in. I had a friend who did it.
I agree for the last 12 years one of our cars has been a lease,at the end of the lease ,we purchase the car, because of low milage thus we always have a new car in our fleet.

Yep, it's tough out there, even dealers are feeling it. For some time now it has been brutal at auctions with dealers basically throwing blackbook wholesale prices out the window just to get inventory on their lots. What's crazy is that people are actively seeking out cars right now and paying these crazy prices without blinking an eye.

Now is the time to sell, not buy...I'd hate to need another vehicle right now...
My old '99 Accord that our son drove for a couple years after me then our daughter drove was on its last legs so we kinda, sorta needed to buy a replacement. The dealer wouldn't budge on the price though it was a fair price according to KBB, Carfax, etc. I see how the used car market is crazy right now because we bought a Civic from a Honda dealer and it looks like they took it in on trade, changed the oil, and listed it. The engine air filter was 'new' but it was a Fram so I'm confident the previous owner changed it. Cabin air filter needed changed, wiper blades needed replaced, and the front brakes would probably be due in a number of months maybe. Rears were in better shape, but I changed all (4) corners, with rotors, anyway. I've spent $306 on "maintenance" but it should be good now (serpentine belt, spark plugs, ATF drain-and-refill, etc).

Back