Looking for LED Equivalent

We have these kitchen under cabinet lights, multiple (many) standalone fixtures switched at a single 120V source - but are actually low voltage (12V) - 3 bulbs in each. They run pretty warm.

The bulbs are 12V18W "wedge" base. Not seeing a good LED equivalent. Ideas?!?

1701290304012.jpeg

Super Bright LED’s

Regular

Oversize

Depends how good the AC/DC rectification is in your particular transformer.

These things used to be ten for a buck on ebay a few years back.

How is the socket keyed? Will one of the 4-face LED bulbs spotlight straight down? Do you care about warm tone, good CRI?

Close to natural light is best. Socket isn't keyed that I can tell.

No idea on the guts of the fixture, but if this gets any worse, I'm tearing them all out and replacing with modern. Probably cheaper!! Hahahaha

I had incandescent under counter lighting and tried to find some parts. The lamp socket (plastic) had gotten heated over the years and was brittle and cracking. Did not find any company selling replacements parts.

I gave up and ordered FlexFireLED. I bought a lot of pieces and are assembling for under and over cabinet lighting. Was able to use the old screw holes and holes for wires for the new LED lights.

The FlexFireLED came with a roll of LEDs, aluminum tracks, diffuser covers for the aluminum tracks, wire, connectors and power supply. They are very custom in the each LED light strip is the exact length for each cabinet.

I assume the LED requires DC and the incandescent could use AC or DC but assume it was AC.
Not necessarily there are LED’s that operate on AC. Is there any markings on the fixture indicating what the output is AC or DC? 120V AC in, output is most likely 12V DC.

OP is correct to research this. I've had some cheapo half-wave rectified LED Xmas lights and they're a great way to get migraines.

Many times the led bulbs eventually burn up because they dont have any cooling airflow if you have the "under glass" style this esp. applies.

That looks like a Mini Bulb. These work great as a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQ3NXRX

View attachment 190806
I just got these in. Tried three in one fixture. Success!! No flicker, no buzz. I left them on, came back an hour later, very cool. Light is WAY better (brighter a bit more kitchen neutral) than the yellow dull incandescents. So I try the second fixture, and they flicker, just a tiny bit. Dern it! Then I notice something, each fixture has a 3 way rocker, HIGH and LOW and OFF. Bonus. Switch this fixture to HIGH and no flicker. Low isn't bright enough anyway. So I ordered 3 more sets. Not cheap, but less than new fixtures.

I personally don't really care for that 5000K LED look, I like 3100-3500K.

Current house was not made with undercounter lighting but I'm sure I can get some modern strip stuff under there. Some Romex and drilling required, I'm sure. When I get a round TUIT.

roundtuit.jpg

Back