Looking for an all purpose grease, why the heck are there so many types of grease I'm lost.

Hello,

This is my first post. I have been a lurker for a while off and on when I have an oil related question. Usually I find what I am looking for by searching, but it seems like in this particular case I cannot find any info on what I'm looking for. I have always used either Lucas red or Lucas HD green grease depending on what is available at the time. Turns out, green is thickened with polyurea and red n tacky is thickened with lithium and they are not mixable. I know I have some mixed, so I need to purge out what I have in everything. I would like to go with 1 grease for everything if possible. That will avoid any issues down the road. I was going to switch everything over to Lucas HD green as it is rated for chassis and bearings, but while looking on their website I see they also make a HD mining and construction grease that is thickened with lithium which makes it more compatible with most other greases if they are ever out, and the specs on the mining grease look very good. I don't know anything about grease, but the Timken load numbers, drop point and 4 ball numbers are really good, and it has some moly in it, so it should be good for chassis stuff.

The things I grease are:

2002 Chevy 2500 HD front end, drive shafts, u joints
3500# trailer axle wheel bearings
1972 chevy k2500 front end, wheel bearings and u joints
1969 camaro front end, wheel bearings and u joints
Simplicity zero turn spindle bearings and frame pivot points

I am sure any quality GC-LB grease will work, but if I am going to buy something and go through the trouble of greasing my stuff I would like to get the best protection possible, who wouldn't right? I know alot of people don't like lucas products, for how they advertise (snake oil type products), or that they just aren't that great depending on the products. I haven't saw anything bad about their greases. Has anyone looked into the HD mining and construction grease? Or what grease are you using that provides good protection and will do chassis and bearings.

Thanks
Lynn

almost anything will work for you. M1 is too messy for me.. great grease but leaks out T E R R I B L E from the grease gun.

If you have a TSC near you they usually have a good selection.
if you want to mail order

Schaeffer's 219 SynForce is good stuff.​

available around 9$ tube + shipping

FWIW I use Lucas red n tacky in all my applications. Those include driveshafts, steering components and wheel bearings. I have had good luck for many years with this grease.

Just my $0.02

Lucas Red N Tacky started to separate a year or so after I bought it. Also, it turns a runny black color in short order in u joints.

I can't attest to either of these things' actual negative effect on the grease's performance, but it's enough to scare me away.

Spicer makes a u joint grease I've been meaning to order.

I’ve been using valvoline synpower for years. A little pricey but doesn’t separate too badly and is easily available locally.

I don't know where you're located, but if it's in a warm climate, ALL grease that comes in a tube WILL LEAK in hot weather...... ALL of them. (If you ever come across one that doesn't, please post it here, and I'll be the first one to run out and buy it).

I've had Mobil 1 Synthetic, Lucas "Red-N-Tacky", Super Tech, Havoline, Valvoline, at least 3 different brands and types of Moly grease, as well as Super Lube. And every one of them will leak and drip out of any grease gun in hot weather. Especially if you keep it in a garage. (Super Lube in the jar or tube won't liquefy, but it will get very thin and runny when it's hot).

I got so tired of the mess, I got desperate, and went out bought one of those little mini refrigerators at Wal-Mart. And I started keeping my grease gun, along with things like Loctite, anti seize, Super Glue, and even batteries, (AA, AAA, & 9 volt), in it. (The wife whines too much if I put any of that kind of stuff in our main fridge). I found that helps a lot.

We landed on the Moon over half a century ago, and yet they can't seem to manage to make a grease that won't drip and leak out of a gun when it gets hot. It's to the point of believing there isn't a grease currently made, that's out there that won't leak out of a gun in hot weather. It makes you wonder what it's doing in your ball joints and suspension components, when you park your car with a hot engine on a Sun drenched blacktop parking lot in July?

IMHO red and tacky is good but the Green stuff seemed to become more popular

I've used Lucas Red N Tacky for several years and it's good grease. Last year on a friend's recommendation I got a tube of Mystik JT-6 #2. It's easily as good, probably better, than Red N Tacky and it's half the price.

Last edited:
Any lithium based NLGI #2 EP grease will work. Like everything else on BITOG the debates rage on.
I use Red N tacky partly due to availability and the fact that it works well on my 5th wheel hubs.

I don't know where you're located, but if it's in a warm climate, ALL grease that comes in a tube WILL LEAK in hot weather...... ALL of them. (If you ever come across one that doesn't, please post it here, and I'll be the first one to run out and buy it).

I've had Mobil 1 Synthetic, Lucas "Red-N-Tacky", Super Tech, Havoline, Valvoline, at least 3 different brands and types of Moly grease, as well as Super Lube. And every one of them will leak and drip out of any grease gun in hot weather. Especially if you keep it in a garage. (Super Lube in the jar or tube won't liquefy, but it will get very thin and runny when it's hot).

I got so tired of the mess, I got desperate, and went out bought one of those little mini refrigerators at Wal-Mart. And I started keeping my grease gun, along with things like Loctite, anti seize, Super Glue, and even batteries, (AA, AAA, & 9 volt), in it. (The wife whines too much if I put any of that kind of stuff in our main fridge). I found that helps a lot.

We landed on the Moon over half a century ago, and yet they can't seem to manage to make a grease that won't drip and leak out of a gun when it gets hot. It's to the point of believing there isn't a grease currently made, that's out there that won't leak out of a gun in hot weather. It makes you wonder what it's doing in your ball joints and suspension components, when you park your car with a hot engine on a Sun drenched blacktop parking lot in July?
Here is my solution for leaking grease guns. It's worked for quite a few years now.
1657102318826.jpg

Back