Looking for a new chain saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a new chain saw. Echo CS 450, 490 and the 590 Timberwolf in mind. I'm thinking another 18" but I am open to a 20". I will use it to cut firewood and fallen trees on the property after a storm. It may get 4-6 hours a month. I just want a good saw. I don't want to have to toss this one after a few years. I'm thinking the 590 is the way to go. Thoughts.

Echo 590 and the 620 have very positive responses with people who use them everyday. It's just a tad heavier than other saws in it's power category but it is built like a pro saw with a conventional engine (separate cylinder and vertically split crank case) instead of a clamshell type which makes rebuilding much easier. Probably one of the best bang for the buck saws out there right now.

I've got a pile of saws. From 26cc to 105cc. 14" bar to 42" bar. Best saws I own are all Husky. But they are pre-strato charged. They have all been rebuilt at least once, and most now sport a big bore kit
laugh.gif

If I had to buy a saw today, I have no idea what to get. The EPA/CARB have been messing with rules that make the MFG's run fixed jet carbs - at least out here. That does not work on a 2-stroke. You/I need to be able to tune it for conditions ...

I will say that I was seriously impressed with the Makita 36v electric. Uses 2 18v batteries common to their pro cordless power tools. Chain speed is right there with gas saws. For smaller jobs I'd prolly go that way and keep one big gas saw for post storm work ...

I have an older Jonsered that has been a beast and will not die. Has adjustable oiling for the chain which is nice if I'm in dry wood. I might look at the newer ones at Tractor Supply ...

I have to say Stihl. Running a Stihl chainsaw bought in the 80's, a 16 year old Stihl string trimmer & electric edger. None have ever needed repair. Stihl equipment is built to last.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

I have an older Jonsered that has been a beast and will not die. Has adjustable oiling for the chain which is nice if I'm in dry wood. I might look at the newer ones at Tractor Supply ...

I was given a TSC gift card a few years ago. I wanted a "small" chainsaw (all of mine are over 50cc) and was going to get the CS2238... but found out it was a Poulan in sheeps's clothing. PASS! (So is the CS2240)

I didn't need another 50cc (CS2250) so I thought the CS2245 would be worth a try (though larger than what I wanted). It's been a fantastic saw. Lightweight (enough), good power, VERY VERY miserly on fuel (the oil tank runs dry first).

A couple months ago, I saw used Ryobi gas saws were going really cheap on ebay. Still been looking for a "light weight" saw... I picked up a Ryobi RY3714 for only $32 shipped. The bar & chain are really low quality, but everything else is great - no complaints. It's 400% better than any Poulan I've owned. Probably the best $32 I've spent in ages...

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Lol...i gather you are in West sir. They always get the brunt of it. I'm south of Riesel.

I'm actually in the Valley Mills/Clifton area

Buy a Stihl 024,026,ms240 or ms260 used.250-400 bucks. Get one with low use, probably never need another saw.Pretty light, decent power,very reliable.Only run good oil, keep the chain sharp.You could check Home Depot rental center, sometimes they will sell some of their rental saws.I bought a Makita (Dolmar) 64cc saw from them for 225.00 5 years ago.A little heavy for all day use though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I've got a pile of saws. From 26cc to 105cc. 14" bar to 42" bar. Best saws I own are all Husky. But they are pre-strato charged. They have all been rebuilt at least once, and most now sport a big bore kit
laugh.gif

If I had to buy a saw today, I have no idea what to get. The EPA/CARB have been messing with rules that make the MFG's run fixed jet carbs - at least out here. That does not work on a 2-stroke. You/I need to be able to tune it for conditions ...

I will say that I was seriously impressed with the Makita 36v electric. Uses 2 18v batteries common to their pro cordless power tools. Chain speed is right there with gas saws. For smaller jobs I'd prolly go that way and keep one big gas saw for post storm work ...

I don't know of any fixed jet two strokes. The screws just aren't in the open anymore, usually there is a cap that needs to be removed.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I don't know of any fixed jet two strokes. The screws just aren't in the open anymore, usually there is a cap that needs to be removed.

My new husqvarna 390 is a beast of a saw, but even it as a commercial saw , has limited screw adjustment. It would take some work to get into these.

I have a 4 year old Husky. All the chain oil leaks out when it sits for a few days. Really wish I had bought a Stihl.

I have the 590 it runs well.. can also mod it easily.

The 490 is about 20% lighter though if you want a lighter saw and still plenty powerful for 18"

The 590 ripped through everything I threw at it except some really dry black locust..

Thought I might have wiped out my chain.. went back to a cherry tree.. nope still buzzed through 12" fast..

Afterwards,I did change to a regular not "low kickback" chain. And that helps some for felling. For firewood use the low kickback chain was fine no issues.. just at certain angles the low kickback chain doesnt seem to bite well.

So far 3 echo dealers nearby in the last 2 months have had their 20% off customer appreciation day.. maybe check to see if there is a sale near you coming up?

Originally Posted By: walterjay
I have a 4 year old Husky. All the chain oil leaks out when it sits for a few days. Really wish I had bought a Stihl.

What model?

Some "entry level" "Husqvarana" models are actually made by Poulan and are
sick.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
For firewood use the low kickback chain was fine no issues.. just at certain angles the low kickback chain doesn't seem to bite well.

That's the biggest gripe I have with most saws... the lousy factory chain.

Changing the chain will often make a HUGE difference in a saw's performance!!

Whatever Saw you buy, if you only do 6-8hrs a month use canned Gas and you will have very few fuel related problems and no storage issues either.

I had a saw sit over a year with Trufuel in the tank and it started right up.

Echo makes great saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back