Pole type chain saw

I apologize for confusing the two conversations @Fla - I thought you were going to cut down full size trees with a pole saw.

Still a bad idea, even if you’re experienced with a saw.

The OP is going to cut a “huge dead tree” in his yard. And wants a pole saw to do it.

And that remains a terrible idea.

I’m surprised that someone with your experience didn’t weigh in and tell him what a bad idea this was.

for safety sake hire a tree outfit to do,mention to them next time in area,you can pay cash on the spot,no hurry or special trip,guys on truck can be paid also if near by if job is small

I didn't get the impression that he was going to use a pole saw to cut down a tree but maybe I missed it. I thought that the OP was talking about two different uses. But I agree, using a pole saw for that is not a good idea unless it's a small tree otherwise use a real chain saw. As I said, I've cut down rather large trees with one but only because a pole saw was the only way to reach it.

Sometimes these threads are hard to follow. I'm shopping (soon) for a pole saw and the Husqvarna 525 PT 5S looks about what I can afford. My bucket list chainsaw, a 592XP will have to wait a couple of more years. Bigger saws are less work imo.
I'll go up a tree with spurs, or maybe stand in a pickup truck box for extra reach, but never on a ladder.
Search youtube videos of chainsaw fails.

Go back read my post and the OP again. I never said anything about cutting down trees, the OP did. I was talking about trimming the dead palm fronds and the huge fruit clusters out of palm trees using a pole saw NOT CUTTING THROUGH THE TRUNK. And in fact, I did that job earlier today. And FYI, all of the yards in this neighborhood have palm trees in them and the tree trimming companies do it exactly the way way. They're out there trimming somebody's trees literally every week so I've seen them do it a thousand times.

The OP asked about cutting thru the trunk of a tree but he never said what size tree., which is why I asked. I also stated that unless it was small tree, it was unlikely that any electric chain saw (not just a pole saw BTW) would have enough power for that job and I recommended that the OP use a gas powered chain saw for that job.

FYI I have used my Sun Joe electric pole chain saw to cut down at least 20 trees on my other property but nothing over about 20 feet high and or larger than about 10" in diameter. A pole saw is capable of it but you have to keep the chain sharp and be patient about cutting through the tree and you have to cut in from both sides in order to cut completely through.

And you're dead wrong. I've been using a chain saw for close to 50 years and I've never hurt myself. I used to cut and split about 6 cords of wood (full cords, not face cords) every year and wood was all that I used for heating when I lived in the northern US.
dead tree.jpg
20230501_080952.jpg

Taken earlier today, but wasn't able to upload. 1st picture is dead tree. 2nd pic is measurement of the tree trunk

I wouldn't go after those trees with anything less than a 60cc chainsaw with a 26" bar. The tree next to the house will need a bucket truck to remove the branch that is over the house.
In my younger day, I'd climb the one on the street and top every branch I could before falling it. You will need to have someone flag the traffic.
Now I'd pay a tree service with insurance to drop the trees, and I'll clean up the mess.

About 55 years ago my mother thought it would be a good idea to plant an elm tree 10 feet from her house.
It took me over a week to bring it down a branch at a time on spurs. It saved me about $3,000, but never again.

Last edited:
Hire a tree company. I just had to help my new neighbor, city guy, cut up a bigger tree he dropped in his yard with a Worx electric saw. He got lucky, branches hit the house and only tore off some trim. No way he was gonna cut up 24'' trunk. Made quick work of it with my 20'' Husky 455.

I wouldn't go after those trees with anything less than a 60cc chainsaw with a 26" bar. The tree next to the house will need a bucket truck to remove the branch that is over the house.
In my younger day, I'd climb the one on the street and top every branch I could before falling it. You will need to have someone flag the traffic.
Now I'd pay a tree service with insurance to drop the trees, and I'll clean up the mess.

About 55 years ago my mother thought it would be a good idea to plant an elm tree 10 feet from her house.
It took me over a week to bring it down a branch at a time on spurs. It saved me about $3,000, but never again.

I agree. Unless you're an expert regarding cutting and felling trees, that tree is too close to your house to risk cutting it yourself. The limb on the left in particular is going to be a problem and they're probably going to have to use a bucket truck to cut it and get it out safely. Get an expert (and make sure that they're insured!) and make sure that the workers that will be doing the job are experienced as well as well and not just some day laborers that the company picked up on the side of the road.

The only thing that I disagree about is that I could easily cut that down with a regular 18" gas powered chain saw from HD, Sears, etc. I would tackle that tree any day of the week but not in that setting. The house is too close and the street is also probably too close to attempt to drop it. Based on what I can see in the picture, other than trimming some of the small branches from that tree a pole chain saw is useless for you.

Escape08,

Just to make this clear: I earlier stated that you can use a ples saw to cut rather large trees and I still stand by that. But after looking at the picture that you posted I will say that tree is too big to tackle with a pole saw! It's also in a bad situation; First, it's too close to that house for anyone cutting it that doesn't know exactly what they're doing. Second, that tall limb on the left is real threat to the house. It needs to be cut into pieces and each piece brought down separately so that means someone climbing the tree and roping each piece down, or using a bucket truck. Third, I see a lot of other trees close by so it's likely that they could interfere with simply dropping this tree whole or mostly whole. If you cut the tree it could get caught in one of the nearby trees and rolled where you don't want it to go, or left hanging in mid air. Four, it looks like the road is close by so that is also likely to prevent your from the cutting down the tree whole.

A few other things; those are TALL branches, it would be too easy for a slight wind to push them in the wrong direction if you try to simply cut them down. Another reason that they need to be cut into manageably sized sections and each section roped down.

But here's my biggest concern: Are you even considering trying to cut that trunk with a pole saw while standing on the roof? If so, forget that idea! From the roof, you can only reach the sides of the trunk. That trunk needs to be notched on the side that you want the tee to fall (presumably directly away for the house). And then it needs to be cut from the back. You can't do that from the roof. Also those cuts need to be rather precise. Also as large as that tree is and as tall as the branches are, it's very likely that it will pinch your saw blade if you're not very aware and are watching for it. If it does pinch you blade, you won't be able to get the saw out of the tree or use it to finish the cut and you'll be left with a partially cut through tree hanging over your house.

This is not a job that I would tackle. This needs to be taken down by a couple of experienced and GOOD tree cutters that have the right equipment and are insured.

About 3 years ago I hired a contractor to have a dead tree cut. The guy that did it had a pole chain saw. For this small saw he was able to cut the trunk of a very large tree.
Now I have another dead huge tree in my yard. Anyone know what pole chain saw he used? I'm just going to do the cutting myself.
Thanks
The pro guys use either Stihl or Echo for pole saws, they are about 600 each.

The pro guys use either Stihl or Echo for pole saws, they are about 600 each.
I had a Stihl chainsaw but had nothing but trouble with and I finally gave it away. The BEST chainsaw that I ever had was one sold under the Skilsaw brand. I don't know who made it but I bought it used in about 1977 and it lasted me for a good 15+ years.

Personally I've never found much difference in the cheap saws vs the expensive saws. How you care for them and keeping them oiled, the chain properly adjusted and the teeth sharp makes a much bigger difference than the brand name.

I had a Stihl chainsaw but had nothing but trouble with and I finally gave it away. The BEST chainsaw that I ever had was one sold under the Skilsaw brand. I don't know who made it but I bought it used in about 1977 and it lasted me for a good 15+ years.

Personally I've never found much difference in the cheap saws vs the expensive saws. How you care for them and keeping them oiled, the chain properly adjusted and the teeth sharp makes a much bigger difference than the brand name.
I've heard that about Stihl chainsaws, but some guys swear by them. "They are ok if you know how to tune them".
What does that tell you?
Same with Husqvarna's "auto tune". They are up to "auto tune III" already in less than 10 years. Why?

The owner's manual for my 40 year old Husky CD 285 states 3% oil/fuel ratio, which is 33:1
The new ones state 2% which is 50:1, and they run at higher rpm.
Better 2-stroke oils should allow for more oil, not less.

Last edited:
I have a 16’ Fiskers pruner saw and it works well for my needs. I surprised myself being able to saw a few high, 3”-4” limbs despite the blade and pole being somewhat wobbly. I last used it to knock down nest from my trees.

Back