New chain saw recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some advise on a new chainsaw. My husqvarna 45 that I bought in 1984 died on my after 32 years of trouble free use. It was a good little professional saw and that's what I'm looking for in a new saw. A small saw 16" bar but I want a professional model not a homeowner grade one. I have stihl husqvarna jonsered redmax echo and dolmar dealers in my area. I'm not afraid to pay extra for something that will last me a long time. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

I like the Stihl brand myself. I own 2 and have had no issues with either.
My larger saw is an MS290 (I think the newer model is a MS291)
They are considered a medium duty farm saw. Pretty durable, a little heavy, unless you are a pro logger you won't need anything more.
There is also a couple models that are a little lighter, like the MS271 and MS250.

Originally Posted By: cronk
They are considered a medium duty farm saw. Pretty durable, a little heavy, unless you are a pro logger you won't need anything more.
There is also a couple models that are a little lighter, like the MS271 and MS250.

No I'm not a pro logger. I have 12 acres of mostly forested land that I maintain and also I fireplace in my house that I use quite a bit. I'm getting up there in age so I don't want something very heavy. My husky 45 was a good small size for me. It got plenty of use in the past 32 years. Just looking online most small saws seem to fit into the homeowner category.

I have a Stihl MS 261. Ive taken apart some rather large trees at our mountain house.

My father has a similar sized Kioritz Echo from the early 80s that still runs like a champ.

I think that the 16-20" bar size is excellent for being agile and fairly light. Longer and larger needs more engine, which is also heavier, etc., etc. They'll work faster, but the question is if that matters for the amount of cutting youll do.

If its just a few big trees a year, a compact pro saw is great. If youre heating your home with wood from your lot, that might be a different story...

If you can find a used saw like you had with few hours on it, buy it. You can't buy a new saw any where near as good as the old ones regardless of price.

I just heat with wood on the coldest nights of the year. The saw is mostly used for cutting up trees that fell over on my property. A small pro saw is exactly what I'm looking for. If I could find another saw just like mine I would get it but I'm sure that model hasn't been made in decades.

I have a small husqvarna that I like. Didn't run it for 2 years and she fired right up.

Stihl 241 is always a good recommendation.

Since you are getting older, you might appreciate a lighter saw.

I'm a huge fan of Echo. Their new professional CS-361P saw is feather light and powerful. Five year warranty. Should serve you well.

CS_361p_b.56535ee8a96cf.jpg

I have both a '78 Jonsered saw and '83 Echo backpack blower from new. They've both been great, but I thought I'd source some spare parts to keep them going and in fairly short order I was able to find the same online in nearly new condition for very reasonable $. So now my original stuff is semi retired and available as spares for the way less used replacements. I agree that the modern saws are lower quality.

I like both Stihl and Husky saws.

I purchased a 346XP Husky (50cc, 16-20 inch) . It's the last of the "old school", non emissions compliant, light weight, ultra high RPM saws (14,000). With a good full chisel chain, it's a rip-snorting blast to use. The 346xp is one of those "legendary" products that pro's love. Real metal engine cases, responds strongly to mods, very light, etc.

I think the current version is called the 550XP. From what I can tell, the 550xp is another awesome saw. Every bit as good as the legendary 346xp. It is also a touch lighter!

Check out the video. It explains it all.... without a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbgu4QNEvU

Last edited:
As a swede, I'm biased towards Husqvarna. But I don't think you can go wrong with one. Pro saws are designated XP and they are awesome. Then there's the Farmer saws that are also great. I own an old 40 farmer saw and a 254xp pro saw. Like them both, the 254 is a monster in a small package.
Depending on the size of your trees, avoid too long swords to increase productivity and safety

Originally Posted By: Indiana79
I'm looking for some advise on a new chainsaw. My husqvarna 45 that I bought in 1984 died on my after 32 years of trouble free use. It was a good little professional saw and that's what I'm looking for in a new saw. A small saw 16" bar but I want a professional model not a homeowner grade one. I have stihl husqvarna jonsered redmax echo and dolmar dealers in my area. I'm not afraid to pay extra for something that will last me a long time. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

If you like the 45, why not just rebuild it? Pro saws get rebuilt multiple times. Do you know what is wrong with the 45?

Originally Posted By: Indiana79
Originally Posted By: cronk

No I'm not a pro logger. I have 12 acres of mostly forested land that I maintain and also I fireplace in my house that I use quite a bit. I'm getting up there in age so I don't want something very heavy. My husky 45 was a good small size for me. It got plenty of use in the past 32 years. Just looking online most small saws seem to fit into the homeowner category.

For what you are doing, one of Stihl's "Farm and ranch" saws would be perfect. If you have a reputable local dealer, go have a look at them and see what size you are comfortable with.

One of the higher end homeowner saws may work as well. A friend of mine has a MS250, it is a lighter saw and has great power to weight ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back