Looking for a netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in buying a netbook for myself this coming week. I'm pretty much set on getting either an Asus or a Dell. I am specifically interested in the clean looks of the Asus Eee and the Dell Mini 10.

The Dell outlet has refurbished mini 10s with a 1.33ghz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD and factory warranty for $239. Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks.

Is the Dell netbook the model that requires the 2-year sign-up with AT&T data service? At $60 per month, $1440 for 2 years, it seems a bit high, for most users perhaps.

Nope, it's from the Dell online outlet.

That AT&T deal is $99 for the netbook and then you pay monthly for the wireless.

Last edited:
I am so old... I thought he was talking about a paper note pad. (I saw the post in the "recent topics", didnt notice it was in computers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so none of the netbooks have cd rom/dvd drives, huh?

No, but I use an Asus external. I actually have a extra new one that is for sale if anyone would need it.

We just got an ASUS 1005 for the wife. It has the slightly faster FSB:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=AS1005HAPBK

Everything is nice except for 2 things:

1. The up/down arrows are half the size of all the other keys - feels a bit awkward, but you can get used to it.

2. It emits quite loud buzzing/humming noise once in a while (couple of times a day) that last from a few seconds up to about a minute. My friend says it's the hard drive, but I've never heard any HDD emit such loud and prolonged sound. And it's not a CPU fan either. Anyway, I will try to have it exchanged, but kind of not what I expected after reading all the stellar ASUS reviews.
frown.gif

I also own an MSI Wind netbook - had it for over a year now - and it is solid. Keyboard-wise, I actually like it better than the ASUS. I have it overclocked slightly using the OEM BIOS.

Personally, if it was me, I'd look into Lenovo S10.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Samsung NC20 12.1 Mini Notebook
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/offic...type=prd_detail

Just a reminder..Intel has new Atom chips coming out. Should make performance even better....

Just looked it up. Looks like a reduction in power consumption as well. http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2009/20091221comp_sm.htm

My wife's Netbook lasts a EASY 8 hours on the web (with streaming here and there) and if you take the screen down a little close to 10.

I think the LED backlighting will do more than any CPU for power saving.

Bill

Got my wife the ASUS for 1005 for X-mas, she loves it. Quattro: It should NOT make that noise, I've sold a PILE of them, and none of them have done that. I would call ASUS.

I got my daughter an Acer Aspire One, with W7 Starter edition for Christmas. It is great except for the three hour battery life. Aftermarket Six and Nine cell batteries are available to lengthen the battery life.

I'm tempted to get one of the dual boot ones that have Windows XP and Google Android on them. I have a Motorola Droid phone with Android 2.0.1 on it, and I love that operating system. Most of the time when I would need to boot the thing quickly it would just be to get on the web and check something out, so the basic Android OS that boots in about 5 seconds would be good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Quattro: It should NOT make that noise, I've sold a PILE of them, and none of them have done that. I would call ASUS.

Yeah, ASUS agreed to repair it under warranty, but that means I have to pay shipping to get it to them. I was hoping the online store I bought it from would just do a complete exchange since it's been less than 30 days from purchase date, alas, they don't seem to want to do that, so it looks like I'll have to dish out for the shipping charges. Anyway, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back