looking for a good less costly 15-50 motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bonz

BLS, what is the year that comparison was done?

No date was given... I've contacted Blackstone for more VOA data...

Be sure it's current information, if it's not don't bother. Like I said in the last post, that is not current formulation and it does no one any good.

Originally Posted by benjy
oil shopping as the REAL synthetics i have been using are getting more spendy, so lookin at Maxima Ester synthetic blend said to use 50% ester, also belray EXP synthetic ester blend but , no specs just bla bla marketing!! + last of all liqui moly 4T ALL 15-50 flavors, all about $8 a qt + or- delivered. i have 3 rides + with a not so long season in PA 5 thou at most on each. input or more specs appreciated by any users

Answer is simple.
Mystik JT8 Semi Syn 15w50, made by a major refiner (Citgo) and has been around forever. Mystic is Citgos brand, Citgo also formulates private brand oils.

Ive post numerous UOAs in here and someplace is also a VOA. I personally love the stuff, not because the low cost but because its the only reasonable after market oil I can find besides Harley oil (of which I believe Citgo also makes but have no solid proof) HD formulations are close though.

Anyway, here is my UOA post, it is self explanatory. Oh and the cost? Roughly $30 deilevered to my home for a TWO GALLON jug from Rural King, you can also order direct from Mystiks website. .. If you have a Rural King near you, the price for a TWO gallon jug is only $24.99 without shipping.
Here is 3 UOAs on the Mystic;
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...tthread/Board/49/main/274587/type/thread

Here is the VOA; (note in Blackstones comments they incorrectly refer to it as a 15/40, Its a 15/50 as posted on the top of the page in the VOA
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...51E763D%21182&parId=root&o=OneUp

Last edited:
Hey BLS, give us the current information or don't even bother...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FastGame
As of Oct. 2019 it has 1200 Phosphorus and 1300 Zinc, that's good enough for motocycles.

I agree...

Thanks to BITOG data I think we finding the single most common
misunderstanding about motor oil is that higher Z & Ph levels provide
greater wear protection. fact is more Z&Ph provides longer wear protection...
but that might be a moot point given the short oil change intervals owners
favor...

Understanding Zinc

Zinc is not even a lubricant until heat and load are applied. Zinc is
only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine.
At that point zinc must react with the heat and load to create the
sacrificial film that allows it to protect flat-tappet camshafts and
other highly loaded engine parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Thanks to BITOG data I think we finding the single most common
misunderstanding about motor oil is that higher Z & Ph levels provide
greater wear protection. fact is more Z&Ph provides longer wear protection...
but that might be a moot point given the short oil change intervals owners
favor...

Understanding Zinc

Zinc is not even a lubricant until heat and load are applied. Zinc is
only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine.
At that point zinc must react with the heat and load to create the
sacrificial film that allows it to protect flat-tappet camshafts and
other highly loaded engine parts.

Nice cut-and-paste, specifically lifted from a Rat.

ZDDP ("zinc") is not a lubricant, in fact it increases friction. But of course that Rat doesn't get much of anything correct so it's not a surprise he's in error here too.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Mystik JT8 Semi Syn 15w50, made by a major refiner (Citgo) and has been around forever. Mystic is Citgos brand, Citgo also formulates private brand oils.

Granted Mystick will meet and exceed our mileage expectations however
the more we research oil the more we realize any major brand will meet or
exceed our mile expectations... there is not one oil in the 300,000 mileage
club... there are 30 40 50 grade oils... there are synthetic and mineral oils...
for some the deciding factor is cost.. no problem I can respect that

Granted Mystick will meet and exceed our mileage expectations however
the more we research oil the more we realize any major brand will meet or
exceed our mile expectations... there is not one oil in the 300,000 mileage
club... there are 30 40 50 grade oils... there are synthetic and mineral oils...
for some the deciding factor is cost.. no problem I can respect that

Im purposely reposting my post from a few posts up in this thread. Im scratching my head on your reply and not sure how or why you did reply.
Here is what I wrote;

Ive post numerous UOAs in here and someplace is also a VOA. I personally love the stuff, not because the low cost but because its the only reasonable after market oil I can find besides Harley oil (of which I believe Citgo also makes but have no solid proof) HD formulations are close though.

Anyway, here is my UOA post, it is self explanatory. Oh and the cost? Roughly $30 deilevered to my home for a TWO GALLON jug from Rural King, you can also order direct from Mystiks website. .. If you have a Rural King near you, the price for a TWO gallon jug is only $24.99 without shipping.
Here is 3 UOAs on the Mystic;
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...tthread/Board/49/main/274587/type/thread

Here is the VOA; (note in Blackstones comments they incorrectly refer to it as a 15/40, Its a 15/50 as posted on the top of the page in the VOA
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...51E763D%21182&parId=root&o=OneUp"

We are in a "motorcycle lubrication" thread.
OP was looking for a less costly 15w50 oil. I gave him that oil, hands down in the links above, Mystic a premium HDEO. It cant be beat and also very hard to find 15/50 or 20/50 HDEO in the USA at reasonable cost.

Mobile 1 15w50 automotive is another option at slightly high cost. I was tempted but it doesnt have a HDEO CH4+ or higher required by my bike maker.
It does claim a CF but makes no sense to pay more for a lower rating.

Thanks to this link from 'Fastgame" I might be tempted to try the Mobile 1 15/50 for fun as I am at the last of EIGHT gallons of Mystic that I purchased for my bike and also used it in my boat last year. All told over the years I have used about 10 gallons of Mystic JT8 in my bike and could not be more happy with an oil.
AS far as this talk of 300,000 miles, that is too bizarre for me to even approach. :eek:)

Anyway, always been curious about other oils but wanted to stick to the Harley recommendation for HDEO, as I know my bike inside and out, noise and most important I know my oil temperatures in every possible operating and riding condition known to mankind (except for temps below 50 because I live in the south. :eek:)
(Im sure not many in here do know what temps they run at, it was an eye opening experience for me, years ago when I installed a digital oil temperature dipstick)

From the mountains to the sea, traffic jams to interstate speeds, hours at a time at a true GPS 80 MPH two up @ 100 degree outdoor temperatures plus then beach traffic, massive storms ya. da ya da...
I have convinced myself to maybe try the Mobile 1 for fun and use my last Mystic on my boat oil change this spring maybe. Just for fun, to see if their is any difference, better or worse with oil temperature between the oils. I do not in anyway think the Mobile 1 would be any better for the engine, that would not be the purpose of trying the oil, in fact it goes against Harleys HDEO requirement but I know I will not be doing any damage.

Last edited:

Im purposely reposting my post from a few posts up in this thread. Im scratching my head on your reply and not sure how or why you did reply.

Mercy... my message was to the OP in case there any doubt about following your suggestion... I'll clarify in a repost...

OP after you read all the positive data from alarmguy if you are still
not sure about trying Mystik here another factor to digest... there is
mounting evidence from Blackstone and BITOG that the more we research
oil the more we realize any major brand will meet or exceed our mile
expectations... there is not one oil in the 300,000 mileage club...
there are 30 40 50 grade oils... there are synthetic and mineral
oils... if the deciding factor is cost.. no problem I can respect
that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Ive been using M1 15-50 in everything wet clutch for years without issue. My 2012 C-14 has 42K miles zero issues. The 200+HP H2 .m.

M1 15-50 is $26 for 5-quart jug at my local Walmart and has worked OK in my air cooled street bikes. Not an Energy Conserving oil but also not a dedicated JASO MA product. Shift quality ok for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-15W-50-5-qt/20713647

I could be way out of line or 'the times' since my reading into m/c oil was 15 years ago and I haven't followed much on oil tech at all since then.
I had found a site on 'all about motor oil' with some inclination to motorcycles and knowing I wanted wet clutch safe, my options were the many he listed. Ultimately one of the better or best choices readily available at sub $20 a gallon at the time was Rotella T synthetic. I run it in a 1995 CB750/four.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oil.html

"BusyLittleShop"

^^ No problem, I guess I read your post wrong, easy to do in a forum. I thought, for some reason the 300,000 mile comment was ... ummm ... Im not sure *L*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Ive been using M1 15-50 in everything wet clutch for years without issue. My 2012 C-14 has 42K miles zero issues. The 200+HP H2 .m.

M1 15-50 is $26 for 5-quart jug at my local Walmart and has worked OK in my air cooled street bikes. Not an Energy Conserving oil but also not a dedicated JASO MA product. Shift quality ok for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-15W-50-5-qt/20713647

Yes, exactly. If you want a full syn, Mobile 1 15/50 for sure.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Because Mobil owns 80% of the synthetic market they can offer a value product for a competitive price...
If you wish to save even more then Mobil auto is even cheaper than their own Motorcycle specific oil...

Chemically speaking Mobil (M1) auto is about the same as Mobil's motorcycle specific oil...
[Linked Image]

Yeah, maybe 15 years ago the Mobil 1 15w50 Auto oil had that level of ZDDP.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is a brand new UOA from a vehicle with only 6000 miles on the oil.
I wouldn't hesitate to use this oil in any motorcycle.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...15w50-6k-mi-oci-21-6k-mi-c7-corvette-z06

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
There is a seller on eBay with Motul 7000 "full synthetic ... ester" for $34/4L in various weights. If somebody wants a JASO MA "full synthetic" this is a decent lower cost option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back