Looking for a beater for <$4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I'm about to change jobs and will need a decent commuter that can double as a hauler/beater. I suspect my annual mileage to be around $15K.

I'm all but set on a 2nd generation Subaru Outback (2000-2004) as they can be had for $3K-$4K with 130K-150K on the odometer. I've owned many Subarus and they've always been bulletproof, but admittedly I've never had one with over 100K miles. The 4 cylinder EJ-based Subuarus are supposed to have their timing belts replaced at around 100K which is something I need to factor in. Here in southeast Texas the snow sticks once a century or so, so AWD is somewhat useless and certainly has a negative impact on mileage and potential maintenance costs.

Any other suggestions for cars that I should look into? I'm handy enough to do oil changes, brake rotors/pads, belts. I could probably do a Subaru timing belt as well, but that's likely the edge of my comfort zone.

Fuel mileage will suffer with a Subaru; I'd be looking for a Civic, Corolla, Protege 5 (if you need a hatch for hauling things) etc. Check into a Toyota Echo as well; they're ugly, but bulletproof with 40+ mpg and no timing belt to worry about.

Last edited:
For what its worth, my friend's Outback lasted 180k before it needed a new transmission. If shops charge extra for H4 engine work such as timing belts, that's something to consider as well. And Subarus were never known for their gas mileage.

Personally, I'd stick with a Honda Civic of any year, or a Dodge Neon.

2006 Chevrolet HHR with the 2.2L Ecotec. That engine is practically bullet proof, efficient and reasonably powerful in that application, and used a timing chain instead of a belt. Not sure it will fit your price point though. The HHR is also somewhat fun to drive, if you can tolerate the appearance styling.

96-2000 Civic's can be had for 2-3K and get you 35+mpg with descent room inside to haul stuff, the interior and storage is only slightly smaller than my 99 grand am.

I should clarify that a wagon/hatchback is a very big want. I hadn't considered the Protege5 which looks like it might fit the bill quite well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep doing some research based on what you guys recommend.

Any thoughts on the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe?

Matrix/ Vibe is okay but late 1980s underneath.

Noone else said it yet, but consider a crown vic or lincoln town car.

The newer subarus are having issues around here, but part of it is the owners-- blooming idiots, who assume the car is bulletproof.

Also consider one of the last of the XJ cherokees.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
I hadn't considered the Protege5 which looks like it might fit the bill quite well.

Given you also have a Porsche and an IS300, a Protege 5 would be perfect. Good reliability, good fuel mileage, dependable, and it's fun to drive!

I have not been able to find ANY working 2nd generation for less than $5000. KBB for a 2004 is around $13,000. You may want to rethink your price range or car selection.

As with any beater, I feel condition is significantly more important than a specific model or feature.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Nice! First page and we have a Panther!
smile.gif

Seriously, you'll criticize the Matrix/Vibe for being "late 1980s underneath", then suggest a vehicle with the most dated type of construction out there? If the Matrix/Vibe is 1980s, then the Panther is more like 1960s. I'm not saying any of these cars are bad, just kind of curious at your comment and subsequent suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Nice! First page and we have a Panther!
smile.gif

Seriously, you'll criticize the Matrix/Vibe for being "late 1980s underneath", then suggest a vehicle with the most dated type of construction out there? If the Matrix/Vibe is 1980s, then the Panther is more like 1960s. I'm not saying any of these cars are bad, just kind of curious at your comment and subsequent suggestion.

Funny you caught me! I'm not slamming the Matrix in a bad way; I miss late 80s early 90s Japanese cars. Hyundai (!) captures the spirit in their Elantra all the way thru 2000 or so, back when they were still copy catting their engineering some of the time. Open the hood on that era Elantra... shoot, you can reach everything!

Crown vic has its ups and downs like any other car; the ups are its powertrain and front suspension, especially after 03 when they got steering racks. OP wants to eat up miles in Texas; one wants a car with road-hugging weight for that.

Cobalt/Pursuit/G5. You will get the most car for your $$$ with these, and they are reliable as heck.

A 2003-2005 Ford Focus (with the 2.3 Duratec engine if possible)....might fit the bill

I've had mine for four years now.... and am completely satisfied.
Gets 27 city and about 35 highway...and has been very reliable.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I have not been able to find ANY working 2nd generation for less than $5000. KBB for a 2004 is around $13,000. You may want to rethink your price range or car selection.

Subaru Outbacks you mean? For my area and with 150K in "clean" condition it says:

2000:
Trade-in $2,220
Private Party Sale $2,778
Dealer Retail $3,710

2004:
Trade-in $4,305
Private Party Sale $5,279
Dealer Retail $6,377

I've founds lots in the $3K-$5K range though I admit I have not seen them in person.

If you're looking Subaru of that era, I'd look at the Legacy Wagon instead of the Outback, and stick with the EJ22 versus the EJ25 in the Outback. Otherwise, you should add in the cost of the head gasket as well.

Still, if you don't need/want AWD, I think there are better options out there; >2003 Focus can be had for the same price, and an '04 or '05 Vibe can be had in that price range as well.

You can scratch this idea if you will have more than one passenger, but what about a 4 cylinder pickup with a cap? A 2.3L Ranger can haul 1200 lbs., tow 2000 lbs., and get over 30 MPG on the highway with the manual transmission. Maintenance on Rangers is very easy for the most part. They sit high enough that you can slide under the engine and transmission without raising the truck. The manual transmission has easy to access drain and fill plugs, the radiator has a very convenient drain, and the engines are pretty straight forward. The auto trans and diffs could use drain plugs, but other than that there's no mess. You do have to repack wheel bearings on 2WDs when replacing the rotors, but brake work is otherwise very simple on them. Parts are relatively cheap and very available. Get practically any OEM part online from fordparts.com, and you can pick it up at the local dealer in a couple days or have it shipped to your house.

For $4K, you can probably find a 2001-2003 model with the 2.3 Duratec. It will probably have over 100K miles, but TallPaul just picked up a 2001 with 66K for $3K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back