Looking for a 4-cylinder automatic pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy my nephew a used pickup after he totaled his Jeep (not his fault). He has started his own landscaping company. He's going to be hauling around a pushmower and some small power equipment, and maybe pulling a small trailer with a riding mower. The point is that he doesn't need to tow 2000+ pound loads. The 15 mpg his Jeep was getting was absolutely killing him. I therefore think a 4-cylinder pickup is probably most appropriate.

Also, the kid simply cannot drive a standard. I've tried to teach him on my pickup, and frankly, it just isn't worth the damage done to my clutch. He MUST have an automatic.

So, I've been looking for 4-cylinder automatic pickups, and I must say that it's been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

My first choice was a Ford Ranger. It seems that 90% of Ford Rangers have V6 engines, and the other 10% with 4-bangers have manual transmissions. The Ranger is apparently just not an option.

Nissan Frontiers are mostly the same way: automatic = V6; manual = 4-cylinder.

I have found a few Toyotas that fit the bill, but frankly the resale on these trucks is nothing short of insane. It'll be a cold day before I buy a 6-year-old truck for 60% of what it cost brand new.

I don't think Dodge ever offered a 4-cylinder in the Dakota. At least I've never seen one.

That basically leaves the S-10 and GMC Sonoma. I've found two of them locally, although the price is still north of what I consider fair. In any event, is there anything I should know about these trucks in terms of known mechanical issues?

Are there any other trucks I should be looking for? I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I'm afraid I might end up having to buy the kid a Dodge Caravan.

Wha about Mazda B2300? That's a rebadged Ranger, isn't it?

Also Subaru Baja, although I'm not sure if the bed is going to be long enough for his mower.

I thought about a Mazda, but because there's no Mazda dealership near where I live, they're about as common as a Maybach.

I strongly suspect, however, that the trimlines run very similar to the Rangers: that is, upgrading to an automatic also upgraded you to a V6.

nah, you can get a ranger or a mazda b series with an automatic and a 4 cylinder motor.

Just look on autotrader.com.

I was looking for one of these things myself, as I just bought a house, and trips to home depot and lowes are overloading my saturn ion.

The only thing is, most of the 4 cylinder trucks have zero options. They are like work trucks, crank windows, and no interior carpet.

I would look at a toyota also, or a nissan.

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler

I don't think Dodge ever offered a 4-cylinder in the Dakota. At least I've never seen one.

They have a 2.5L I4 engine listed in the owner's manual and on parts sites, for the 99 Dakota anyway.

Chevy Colorado's can be had for cheap in the four-cylinder with auto range. Not sure of your budget but I have seen on lots priced between 7-8 with warranties. Consistent above 20 mpg's as well.

Per your recommendation, I just checked autotrader.com. I went through 600 listings. Of those, 8 had 4-cylinder engines, and only 2 of those were automatics. Both of those were more than 300 miles away.

I will check into the older Dakotas.

The Colorado is sort of a last-ditch option. Everything I've read indicates that they have dreadful reputations for reliability.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Originally Posted By: furgoon
Chevy Colorado's can be had for cheap in the four-cylinder with auto range. Not sure of your budget but I have seen on lots priced between 7-8 with warranties. Consistent above 20 mpg's as well.
Yes, I have an 07 colorado 4cyl, they come with a 2.8 prior to 07 which has 175 hp and variable valve timing, 07+ has a 2.9 with VVT also 185hp, I strongly recommend the colorado it does not feel slow at all, it can tow somewhat when needed and I get 24mpg in mine and its an auto. great lil trucks and used ones are resonably cheap.

Last edited:
also about the reliability, mine has 30k w/o problems and my friend has an 05 with 89k and not a moments trouble.

i have been thru the same thing your going thru, looking for a pick up like that, and the keep getting more expensive, although it seems if you have eight to nine thousand to spend you can get a nissan or a toyota or a newer s-10, the fords i looked at were beat fleet trucks.

i bought my s-10 four cyl, auto pick up with 78,000 miles extended cab with cruise control and a/c, for $4400.00, i do like it and it seems to get good mpg's , i have had it about 3000 miles and it gets 23 to 24 mpg in mixed hwy and city driving

good luck in your search

There was a problem with the manufacturing of the engine head in the 2004-2005 model year. However, GM stepped up and mailed out a warranty extension to all of those owners for 7 years/100,000 miles. It only affected a small number of units as well. I have 66,000 miles on mine and really like my truck so my opinion might be a little biased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: furgoon
There was a problem with the manufacturing of the engine head in the 2004-2005 model year. However, GM stepped up and mailed out a warranty extension to all of those owners for 7 years/100,000 miles. It only affected a small number of units as well. I have 66,000 miles on mine and really like my truck so my opinion might be a little biased.
Ahhh you are referring to the valve seats.

I think you are making a mistake in not considering the Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan V-6. They get very good mileage, are darn near bulletproof, and will do a better job towing the trailer/hauling a load. 200 to 300 thousand miles on these Vulcan six cylinder engines is a common sight.

"I think you are making a mistake in not considering the Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan V-6."

Tell me more.

My Nissan 4-banger gets 22 mpg around town, and up to 27 hwy. My nephew's now-totaled Jeep (4.0L I6) got about 15, and when gas topped $3.50, he was barely breaking even due to his gas bill.

If the 3.0 V6 can get 20+, then I might seriously consider it. What's the mileage on the 4.0L V6?

"I think you are making a mistake in not considering the Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan V-6."

Tell me more.

My Nissan 4-banger gets 22 mpg around town, and up to 27 hwy. My nephew's now-totaled Jeep (4.0L I6) got about 15, and when gas topped $3.50, he was barely breaking even due to his gas bill.

If the 3.0 V6 can get 20+, then I might seriously consider it. What's the mileage on the 4.0L V6?

My 3.0 Ranger returns 20-21 MPG pretty consistently on regular gas. It drops to about 18-19 MPG on E85. My driving is a mix of city and highway driving.

If you can find a four banger auto, I'd still go for that since fuel economy will be better with the I4s, but the 3.0s are worth considering if you can't find a suitable I4.

Auto/I4 Rangers are out there. 2002+ models have the very efficient and reasonably powerful Duratec 2.3 I4 (introduced in 2001) and five speed autos. Earlier trucks are fine though, just a little less efficient and they use four speed autos. 1995+ trucks are most desireable if you have to get an auto. The 4R and 5R transmissions are much stronger than the old A4LD.

I would keep looking for a Ranger. Just keep looking, you'll find a 4 cyl auto soon. At work we have a 2002 with the 2.3 and auto. It currently has 215,000 miles and it still runs perfectly, even though it's on it's second tranny. The engines are extremely reliable and very peppy. With the 3.0 v6, it seems those are kind of hit-or-miss with the gas mileage. I've heard of people getting anywhere between 14 and 25 mpg with them. Of course, driving style and maintenance have a lot to do with it. I would still go for the 4 cyl though. The 4.0 v6, although a fantastic engine in terms of reliablity and power, guzzles gas at about 18 mpg highway, around 15-16 mpg city.

I appreciate everyone's input here.

Things are looking bleak.

Today I visited the local Ford dealership. Not only did they not have any used Rangers, they didn't even have any NEW Rangers.

They did, however, have 18 used F150s.

It appears that everyone is trading in their 150s for Rangers and economy cars.

An independent used car dealer outside of town has a pair of Ranger 3.0L's: a '99 and an '03. Unfortunately, he's closed tomorrow and over the weekend. I'll visit him on Monday and see if he really wants to sell a used truck or not.

Might be worth the drive for you, depending on your situation.

I flew out to Long Island, NY from Buffalo to get my saturn, and drove it back about 8 hours.

Including all expenses, I saved about 2900 bucks from what the dealer wanted for the same car.

My brother and I just drove a lexus from miami to buffalo, NY. A very long trip, I don't recommend it, but he saved a few thousand on it as well.

I've even had cars shipped up from Texas, and back down to Texas. Costs were about 700 bucks before fuel went through the roof, probably much higher now.

Get the car that you want, even if you have to go a ways for it. The used vehicles in Buffalo, NY are rotted so bad, I always end up going south to find anything decent.

As for those 4 cylinder rangers, it seems like most of them are in the western part of the US. A ton in California and Arizona. You can't even buy a 2wd 4 cylinder pickup around here, they are all 4x4 with the big motor.

Per your recommendation, I just checked autotrader.com. I went through 600 listings. Of those, 8 had 4-cylinder engines, and only 2 of those were automatics. Both of those were more than 300 miles away.

I will check into the older Dakotas.

The Colorado is sort of a last-ditch option. Everything I've read indicates that they have dreadful reputations for reliability.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

I did not see you mention price range. I will, of course, give the nod to the B2300/Ranger with the 2.3 Duratec motor. I believe the basic chassis design has not changed in 20 years. Probably a bad time to look for one, since everyone is downsizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back