Looking at two cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Seems like a lot of $$$ for a 10 year old car .

KBB for all of them is right around 9600. NADA is 9700.

I don't think it is out of line based on options and mileage.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If someone went to the trouble of doing it and painted the calipers i would look carefully under the car.
Look for SS braided lines, if he used them it might just be a well done job that drastically improves braking.
Look for bigger front and rear sway bars, i don't see a strut tower brace so its possibly just a brake and wheel job but you never know.

I have 2 GTP's and spend plenty on them to do them right.
I will never get the money back if i sell them so someone will get a superior to stock car for about the same money.

Look underneath that black one carefully before buying any of them, there may be plenty of goodies under it the seller doesn't even know about. Look at the shocks it may have AGX or Bilsteins.
Many GTP owners are known for spending good money on these cars.

The black one has me more than curious as to whats been done.

I had an 01 GTP for awhile. I had a bunch done to it. All tasteful. Engine stuff and suspension.

I am curious about the black one also.

I am going to drive the Orange one tomorrow morning. The other two are further away.
I may try to look at the black one on Sunday.

If someone went to the trouble of doing it and painted the calipers i would look carefully under the car.
Look for SS braided lines, if he used them it might just be a well done job that drastically improves braking.
Look for bigger front and rear sway bars, i don't see a strut tower brace so its possibly just a brake and wheel job but you never know.

I have 2 GTP's and spend plenty on them to do them right.
I will never get the money back if i sell them so someone will get a superior to stock car for about the same money.

Look underneath that black one carefully before buying any of them, there may be plenty of goodies under it the seller doesn't even know about. Look at the shocks it may have AGX or Bilsteins.
Many GTP owners are known for spending good money on these cars.

The black one has me more than curious as to whats been done.

My mistake, its stock with the Comp G package. I haven't seen one in person but the calipers are part of the package from what i can tell.

Quote:
You'll have to peel off another $1395 for the Grand Prix's Competition Group package with its digital head-up display, trip computer, steering-wheel shift paddles, and crafty StabiliTrak Sport stability-control software. Pile on XM satellite radio ($325), leather ($665), a premium audio pack with a six-CD changer ($695), and a sunroof ($795) if you crave a Grand Prix GTP identical to our $30,370 example

More info..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2004-pontiac-grand-prix-gtp

Originally Posted By: dparm
Black paint is impossible to keep clean. It always looks dirty or dusty, and every tiny scratch is easily seen. I will never own another black car.

I agree! I especially wouldn't want black for a daily driver. I like the fact that my daily driver (Civic) is a light blue color, as I only end up washing it maybe once a month and even when it hasn't been washed in a while it still looks fairly clean.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: dparm
Black paint is impossible to keep clean. It always looks dirty or dusty, and every tiny scratch is easily seen. I will never own another black car.

I agree! I especially wouldn't want black for a daily driver. I like the fact that my daily driver (Civic) is a light blue color, as I only end up washing it maybe once a month and even when it hasn't been washed in a while it still looks fairly clean.

My car was ordered in a beautiful black but a silver one appeared and was available and we liked it so we ended up with silver.

I have never been happier with a color choice. IMO the car is better looking in a lighter color and silver seems to look pretty good even when dirty.

I'd say the black one was someone's baby... nice upgrades, looks to be in great shape, and he/she definitely kept the miles off of it. A 2004 with barely 50,000 miles? Didn't drive it much!

32.gif

Wow, those prices are insane. I just run a quick autotrader search for 2004-2005 GT near Toronto and the highest price I got was below $8k. There were plenty of good looking offerings in $5-6k range.

I guess it's a good time to buy used cars in Canada.

Weren't you looking at an older Corvette with low miles for the same price not long ago? That would be much more fun and stylish. The cars you linked look like rental cars in comparison. In other words a dime a dozen...boring.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
32.gif

Wow, those prices are insane. I just run a quick autotrader search for 2004-2005 GT near Toronto and the highest price I got was below $8k. There were plenty of good looking offerings in $5-6k range.

I guess it's a good time to buy used cars in Canada.

Now try finding a GTP. They are not the same, different brakes, Supercharged, different suspension, larger tires and more options. Plus what were the miles on those.

KBB says 9079 for a 2004 GTP with 72000 miles

I will try the link...

KBB

Nada value

So as you see both say about 9050 for the one with the 72,000 miles on it in my area. The Black and Maroon can be had for 8400 out the door both of those have less miles on them and one is a Comp G. How much do you want them to cost?

In fact

Comp G with 54,000 miles NADA

Over 10,000 dollars.

Last edited:
Using Edmunds, which I believe is more realistic when it comes to pricing, it should be around $7100 for one in outstanding condition with 75,000 miles on it. Trade in value for it is only $4500.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Weren't you looking at an older Corvette with low miles for the same price not long ago? That would be much more fun and stylish. The cars you linked look like rental cars in comparison. In other words a dime a dozen...boring.

I was but it was not going to be a daily driver.
The GTP is by far faster and stops better than the 85 crossfire Corvette. It dose not handle as well. Have you driven a supercharged 3800?

At the price its being offered the Comp G is not much above trade in.
I had never heard of that package before probably because mine are older, it seems like a worthwhile package to have on the car especially for a zero dollar up charge.

IMHO if the Comp G car is real clean its almost a no brainer unless the black is a deal breaker.

At the price its being offered the Comp G is not much above trade in.
I had never heard of that package before probably because mine are older, it seems like a worthwhile package to have on the car especially for a zero dollar up charge.

IMHO if the Comp G car is real clean its almost a no brainer unless the black is a deal breaker.

True. The orange one was a bust. It had the typical 3800 valve cover leak. No big deal, surely not a deal breaker, but it had gotten hot I imagine a flame appeared at one point! The plastic sheath for the spark wires and dipstick were charged and melted. Obviously the oil collected in the sheath and burnt a bit. Service did not catch the dipstick. Unbelievable.
They said they would fix it. I said that is good for the next guy! Thanks! Have a good day!

I like the supercharged 3800s a lot, I had a 97 GTP as my daily driver for one year and it was quite the sleeper. I had a smaller blower pulley put on (3.4") and replaced the restrictive air box with a 9" K&N cone filter, and that thing ran 13.78 at 100mph in the quarter mile! But yet on the outside it looked 100% bone stock, so it was quite a lot of fun to surprise sports cars on the street and at the dragstrip with it's quickness. It had incredible low end torque and even with the power increase it still would get me 25 MPG in mixed driving! (never did a long highway trip but I bet it would have been over 30 no problem)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Did you ever look at the various versions of the G8 series at all??

I do I am really trying to stay under 10,000 as this is a daily driver. I really considered this car because it was immaculate! I could have done the intake gasket, water pump, houses and flush for about 300 bucks and a Saturday. I should have done it. Maybe if it is there in a few weeks they will knock some more off it. They did tell me to make my most crazy offer and were willing to knock of an additional 800 bucks, the cost of repairs basically. I didn't make an offer. It was quiet and drove like new.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Black one was awesome. Needs the intake gasket...so I left. Oh well
How did you figure that out so quickly? It is on the dealer's lot claiming to be immaculate. So, somebody who is not intimate with the model, would have been taken in??

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Black one was awesome. Needs the intake gasket...so I left. Oh well
How did you figure that out so quickly? It is on the dealer's lot claiming to be immaculate. So, somebody who is not intimate with the model, would have been taken in??

I have had three 3800's but, it was leaking oil out the side externally and had the tail tell sludge in the top of the radiator and in the overflow. Classic intake gasket failure.
Easy fix, car had good heat, didn't over heat and when idling the fans would come on and cool it down. So it is early on in the failure. Ran awesome.

I am not sure a Honda dealer would have known to look for this. The were willing to deal after I noticed it. I can't blame the dealer as the were very nice and it was CLEAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back