Looking at some new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've had Uniroyal Tiger Paws on three vehicles now and they seem to be a good all around tire. Current set is the GTZ model.

Last edited:
I am running some BFG sportcomp2's in the summer which crack at around -7C, so I was delaying my winter tire switch over until mid May and switching back in early September. That was wearing my snows pretty fast, so when they got down to 5/32, I bought a used set of rims with the new set of snows. So now I can save my good snow tires when I actually need them, Dec. to early March, and run the old snow set in the shoulder seasons.
You can probably get a mounted set of half worn snow tires on rims for little more than the rims would cost, then you can run good snows in the winter and get some really nice tires for the summer. My snow tire buying strategy now is to get ones that have good wet pavement grip so I can run them down to 2/32 in the shoulder seasons without being slippery in the rain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
RT43. Answer to all ills in the world. Actually, you will feel younger by at least 10 years once you put them on.

Up to 10% more mpg and hp! Reconditions your car as you drive!

Another one that looks promising but I haven't tried is the Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
How about the General G-MAX AS-05 all_ Season Radial. There is a current rebate at the website until end of April.

My other vote is for RT43's which I have on the CRV.

G-Max isn't available in 205/60-16.

I'll look at the RT43s, though, although it seems the Cooper CS5 might be a better tire all around. Lower treadwear, but I'm going to swap tires every winter anyway so generally they'd dry rot before they wear out anyway.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
I'm going to be the nonconformist here and say BFG Advantage T/A Sport.

An interesting choice, how's the noise on them? My Mazda isn't exactly quiet in the first place but noise seems to come up as a complaint on those tires. 600 treadwear means they should have a little better grip than most of the 700 all seasons.

Last edited:
I went through the same arguments for my Mazda. I went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus for the noise over Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Tires.

So far so good.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by MrMoody
I'm going to be the nonconformist here and say BFG Advantage T/A Sport.

An interesting choice, how's the noise on them? My Mazda isn't exactly quiet in the first place but noise seems to come up as a complaint on those tires. 600 treadwear means they should have a little better grip than most of the 700 all seasons.

Dry grip and handling are very good, but unfortunately, like most tires with a more aggressive tread pattern, they do make a low roar on the highway. Some cars let in more road noise than others. It's another compromise.

I currently have the P7s (225/60-16) on the Grand Prix. They're quiet and wet and dry traction is good but handling is somewhat mushy (granted this is not a sports car) and they're usable but not great in the snow. I have a fairly steep textured concrete driveway and the last time we had the heavy, wet snow we always get, they wouldn't climb it.

Well, after calling around to all the local tire shops, I found two things.

1) Most of the local tire shops are some disreputable SOBs who prey on ignorance to sell garbage tires to people for high prices.

and

2) The only one who isn't charging prices so high they should be considered robbery around here has the Cooper CS5s in stock at a good price, so it looks like I'm going to get those. Coincidentally, this is also where I bought my snow tires, for the same reason. I think I'll just skip the rest and do business with them in the future.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Dunlop is an ok tire. I had them on my Vue and 3 lasted 6 years with the 4th got a nail in sidewall which Goodyear declined hazard warranty cause it was 2 months past warranty for years. 45000 miles and still looked new with never a rebalancing. I would buy again for Grand Caravan if they had my size and if on sale as I paid 99.00 and free install on a promotion Goodyear honored and no one else would, not even the one making the advertisement. I would not run them in snow though they did do ok in mud but the Firestone Destination were better in mud but noisier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back