Looking at buying another truck - your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiredtrucker - two totally different 'diesels', but I get your point and appreciate the input on sulfur. I have noticed the 6.0 runs noticeably rougher and down on power without cetane booster. My 7.3 ran the same no matter what.

roadrunner - It was the diesel tech at the dealer who told me every two weeks after I kept getting the WIF light on, even after changing filters. I change filters every 15k miles, which also drains the water anyway. Also, I use Rotella T6 and OEM Motorcraft filters, changed every 7-8k miles, going over 9k on the oil right now because I don't plan on keeping the truck.

Last edited:
Fordtrucktexan said:
Tiredtrucker - two totally different 'diesels', but I get your point and appreciate the input on sulfur. I have noticed the 6.0 runs noticeably rougher and down on power without cetane booster. My 7.3 ran the same no matter what.

roadrunner - It was the diesel tech at the dealer who told me every two weeks after I kept getting the WIF light on, even after changing filters. I change filters every 15k miles, which also drains the water anyway. Also, I use Rotella T6 and OEM Motorcraft filters, changed every 7-8k miles, going over 9k on the oil right now because I don't plan on keeping the truck. [/quote

If you were constantly getting the WIF light after draining the HFCM the sensor needed replaced, which isn't that uncommon. The importance of running the correct filters in this engine are extremely important, which you were doing. There is a place, dieselfiltersonline, that I purchased all of mine. Racor filters(Motorcraft manufacturer for the 6.0 & 6.4) were around $13 shipped to my door. I actually tried Rotella several years ago, wasn't impressed with the UOA results or the pricing. There are much more economical choices available that return better UOA results for the 6.0, namely 10w-30. A synthetic lube isn't needed for longevity in the 6.0.

Just an update. Dealers were seriously lowballing me on the F250 so I advertised it for sale locally and got a few hits. One guy offered me a very fair price (just over a grand off the $15k I was asking) but I don't think he was able to get financed, haven't gotten ahold of him since.

I'm still looking at trucks, but at the moment I'm really leaning towards putting money into the ol girl for maintenance and maybe some interior improvements.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan

They may be different engines, but diesels all have commonality on many levels.

Cetane is not lubricity. They are unrelated. Cetane is the combustion speed of diesel. You mentioned lubricity and that is what I responded to. Cetane can be an issue that ULSD hasn't quite done right and sometimes needs some help. Some engines do need a little cetane boost to run more efficiently. Again, government had nothing to do with reduction of cetane, they in fact regulate that the refiners meet a minimum cetane, same as they do for octane in gasoline.

I would try and get a good deal on a 2014 f150, should be plenty of good deals on the out going model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back