Looking at a new HD 883 Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not owned a MC in over 20 years but getting that middle-age itch. Looking at the 883. Will not be used for daily use such as commuting and such, but mainly as a weekend getaway and stress reliever. Does the 883 have any "issues" that I should be aware of?

The 883 is a good little bike. While it does not have the go a 1200 has it depends on what you are looking for. They are not speed demons but on the other hand they give a Harley touring bike or a lot of other full size cruisers fits during a stoplight challenge. My stepson has one and it hauls him who is 6'5" and 260 around fine. The seat is uncomfortable. If you look around there are a lot of n-i-c-e used 1200s for very little more and they run a lot better. On the other side of the coin is you can buy an 883 cheap and when you decide it is not enough a 1200 cc upgrade is just a few hundred dollars away.

If you look around you can get a used low mileage 883 that someone bought and rode for 6 months and decided they wanted a bigger bike. The 883 is a dog (I had one) compared to the 1200. The 1200C is the best Sportster deal out there and is enough bike to satisfy you for a while. After owning an 883 for 1 year I would highly recommend you look hard at the 1200c.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The usual Harley problems.
Not a lot of power, runs hot as it's air cooled.
Not a lot of room if you're planing in going two up.

"Not a lot of power" is relative. I was a "new" rider two years ago when I bought my Sportster, having gone 25 years without riding. The 883 has all the power any rider needs, IMO, who intends to ride responsibly.

As for running hot, yes an air cooled engine is going to run hotter under certain conditions than a water cooled bike. It's designed that way. duh. But my bike has never overheated, even sitting in traffic in the summer.

Room? The 883 comes with a solo seat and no rear foot pegs. Nuf said.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I found the stock seat totally unusable.

I agree with that. I put a Mustang seat on mine and I can now ride all day in comfort. With the stock seat I was ready to get off after twenty miles.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I found the stock seat totally unusable.

I agree with that. I put a Mustang seat on mine and I can now ride all day in comfort. With the stock seat I was ready to get off after twenty miles.

I looked very hard at Sportser this year before opting for VTX. The seat was the major issue and the price eventually got me out of HD. But I agree other than too concaved seat I like the HD in fit/finish and style.

My kid has an '07 883 Custom, and the first thing to go was the stock seat. We put a Sundowner on it and now she can ride all day with us.
As mentioned- power is relative. The 883 will accelerate faster than most cages, which is really all you need. It won't run with a V65 Magna, Vrod, or just about anything else that's big & has a "V" in its name, but this is a Harley- not a VMax.
wink.gif

But- like most mid-size bikes it has more than enough power to get you killed if you forget to respect it.

It is an air-cooled engine, so it will run warm. But having owned a water-cooled 900cc Vulcan awhile back, IMO there isn't a tremendous amount of difference in felt heat between the two on a hot, muggy summer day. In truth, I've owned a lot of different bikes over the years and I don't recall any of them being overly comfortable on a hot summer day. After all- regardless of how it sheds its heat, with a one to two liter heat pump doing its thing 3" below your nads you'll always feel some heat...
wink.gif

Put a comfy seat, a windshield, and a set of saddle bags on it and you've got a nice cruiser that can handle any day-ride you want to take and it won't break the bank. I'd recommend the Custom- that'll get you forward controls and a 4.5 gal fuel tank- which is worth its weight in gold... :)

You will need to get tattoo and acessorize your life with Harley logo stuff. Yes riding a Harley is freedom and being an individual even if it means looking like all the other Harley riders.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You will need to get tattoo and acessorize your life with Harley logo stuff. Yes riding a Harley is freedom and being an individual even if it means looking like all the other Harley riders.

Stereotypical nonsense. The only pieces of Harley branded gear I own are the two t-shirts that were given to me by the dealer when I bought my bike, and a helmet (which I pretty much had to purchase there when I picked up my bike). My riding jacket is fully armored ballistic nylon, not a sleeveless leather vest with tassels.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Stereotypical nonsense. The only pieces of Harley branded gear I own are the two t-shirts that were given to me by the dealer when I bought my bike, and a helmet (which I pretty much had to purchase there when I picked up my bike). My riding jacket is fully armored ballistic nylon, not a sleeveless leather vest with tassels.
smirk2.gif

No way!!!

Do yourself a favor and get a big twin if you can- even used if it's in the same price range as a new 883. Now don't get me wrong - I like Sportys as I still have my 1984 Iron head 1000cc bike which still looks and runs great. I just don't ride it anymore. My wife started on an 883 Custom and after the 1st year got rid of it for a Low Rider which was easier to ride as well as much more comfortable. I ride a Softail Duece. If you get a Sporty, you'll soon want a bigger bike so why not skip right to it? If you must have a Sporty, the 1200 is the way to go. I couldn't believe how much of a dog the 883 is until I rode my wife's!

Last edited:
GMBOY is right,try to get a dyna low rider,or the standard dyna.Nothing wrong with sporters I owned them before.But not saying your a novice rider but a sportster is kind of a top heavy bike.They remind me of my old 78 kawi 750,not too great in the handling department (but that kawi was fast,back in the 80"s i was 50 pounds lighter).A dyna will have alot more power and easier to handle.Check the used bike adds,lots of good deals on low milage bikes,if you want to go the route.Or if you see a good deal on a metric v twin bike,give those a look.

Now that is a stupid comment. What do you care if somebody buys a Harley Davidson shirt, jacket etc? But your probably one of those guys who doesn't want to follow the crowd right...you probably drink Sam's club cola
LOL.gif

Sounds like a little sour grapes here?? For some reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back