Looking at a new HD 883 Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
Have not owned a MC in over 20 years but getting that middle-age itch. Looking at the 883. Will not be used for daily use such as commuting and such, but mainly as a weekend getaway and stress reliever. Does the 883 have any "issues" that I should be aware of?

Well - did you buy that bike?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I drink Shasta diet cola sweetened with Splenda!!!

Of course! you are from Mexifornia...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
Didn't buy the sportster. Going to wait until I can afford the softtail.
Get some tatoos while waiting.. I just had to add that.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The usual Harley problems.
Not a lot of power, runs hot as it's air cooled.
Not a lot of room if you're planing in going two up.

Don't know about that, being air cooled the bike will still feel cooler on a hot day than my triumph Sprint ST, that thing would cook your nuts at a stop like.

My buddy has one, not a lot of miles on it, but I have road it and it has plenty of power for 1 up riding at the speed limit. It's not very fun on the highway. Seem that it's struggling to do 70, very buzzy on the bars. Of coarse this is an older solid mounted engine. I would guess the new ones are a bit better.

Like others have said, get rid of the stock seat.

You can find used Sporters all over at a good price. Most are low miles too. Go out and find a 2 year old bike with less than 5,000 and you will be fine. You could probably ride it for 2 years and sell it for a little less than you paid for it.

Originally Posted By: msparks
My buddy has one, not a lot of miles on it, but I have road it and it has plenty of power for 1 up riding at the speed limit. It's not very fun on the highway. Seem that it's struggling to do 70, very buzzy on the bars. Of coarse this is an older solid mounted engine. I would guess the new ones are a bit better.

The rubbermount Sportsters (2006 and up) are night and day different from the older models as far as riding comfort. I can cruise on the Interstate at 65 or 70 and clearly see vehicles in my rear view mirrors, which was impossible on the older bikes. Also, no buzzing in the bars or foot pegs.

That being said, the 883 is happiest as a back roads cruiser in the 45 to 50 mph range, which is exactly the way I ride.

WT,

Congrats on returning back to riding. I only have a few thoughts to offer. First, right now there appear to be a lot of good deals out there due to the economy, so now appears to be a good time to buy. Secondly, how tall are you and do you expect to ever have a passenger ride with you? If you are a taller or larger man, or if you might ever have a passenger, the 883 is less than ideal in terms of being comfortable for you and even possible for a passenger. Third, the 883 has a bit higher center of gravity than some other options on the market (a small issue and usually only for newer riders). Aside from that the Sportster is a great bike. I do agree with others regarding 1200 vs 883. If you get a Sportster get the 1200 if possible. As an option check out used bikes for sale. There are thousands of super low mileage bikes out there that were bought for recreation, have barely been ridden, and are being sold due to economic conditions. I would recommend looking at the Honda VTX 1300 as an option. SOme dealers have been advertising great deals on the VTX to get old stock out of their stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back