Looking at a Ford 2022 Escape SEL....

Right now I'm driving a '14 Nissan Versa Note. high mileage, banged up, and the fact I can't tow anything is driving me nuts.

I'm looking for a sub compact, compact hatch that will tow, and get good mpg. The Ford Escape SEL with the 2.0 Eco boost, AWD can tow 3,500 lbs.

I really want to get a Ford Bronco, but the wait time is crazy, and that was before gas doubled.

The SEL seems to have everything I want, a economical hatch that can tow a trailer well.

I do not know how good Ford's AWD is. I'm going to be ordering next spring, when hopefully the shortages are improving.

I have a hybrid SEL AWD provided to me for work. It only has about 5000 miles, but I like it and it’s been no trouble. I would recommend it.

My two pieces of advice are to order the cargo cover if you want it, it’s not an easy retrofit. And be aware it doesn’t come with rain sensing wipers (I think they are in a package)

If the hybrid can be equipped to tow your needs I would get that over a EB personally.

I wish I could stay away from the AWD, but I have to have AWD to get the rated 3.5k towing capacity. Which is the whole point of this car. No other vehicle in this class only tops at 3k, and most are 2.5k.

I wish I could stay away from the AWD, but I have to have AWD to get the rated 3.5k towing capacity. Which is the whole point of this car. No other vehicle in this class only tops at 3k, and most are 2.5k.
Buy as much Ford ESP PowertrainCare they'll sell you
IIRC, it's 8y125k
So you'll only blow up one or two transmissions, and maybe 3 PTUs🤣

I’m the one that Critic referenced above with the 2021 Escape SEL 2.0 EB. I too was ultra focused on the 3.5k towing capacity. IIRC you can get that tow capacity on a RAV4 Adventure or TRD trim and that’s what I would do if tow capacity was important.

To be honest, the vibration I had with the rear differential may have been an isolated issue, but it was annoying that I had to deal with it for 6000 miles while waiting on a part which still did not fix it. I was lucky to be able to trade it for a new 2021 RAV4 hybrid without losing anything due to the crazy market. I have been much happier overall with the RAV4 and have about 9000 miles on it now.

Back