Looking at a 2017 Accord V6...

Originally Posted by Nick1994
What about an Acura TLX? Better materials and comfort etc.

Here's a 2017 V6 with 20k miles for $21,960
Though it's sold by an online dealer, a local one might pop up soon somewhere else.

17 V6 TLX

I absolute would consider, but the 2.4 is equipped with the 8 speed DCT. I believe they have problems from consumer reviews I have read, and the V6 is equipped with the 9 speed, also has been noted as a problem transmission.

yes TLX latest model with I4 is a great car, stay away from V6 though; and Honda recommends the timing change at 100K interval because those engines are interference engines

it is so absurd that Honda holds residual value better than Acura
grin.gif

there is nice Accord affordable, if did not get our EXL this would be our next negotiation

https://www.lousobhhonda.com/invent...accord-ex-fwd-4d-sedan-1hgcr2f7xha236844

also starting 2016 many Accords EX and up have ApplePlay optional

Last edited:
Keeping the car you have is frequently the most cost effective approach. If you like the car and it runs good why not just repaint it.

I have an Accord V6 sedan too and I cheerfully paid close to $1,000 for a new timing belt. That's what you have to do with a Honda V6.

In my case my original paint is doing fine. My car had some body damage when almost new (a deer ran into the side of the car moving at highway speed and dented the whole side) and that body work isn't standing up as well as the original. I wouldn't hesitate to repaint part or all of it.

The biggest trick is getting a really good paint job. I generally ask at high end dealerships (Jaguar, Mercedes, etc) who they get to paint their cars. If a few of them point to the same place that's where I go.

If you want build quality and good paint, look at the Passat. It'll be on the same level of reliablity as an Accord. You won't have to bump start it.

My 2012 Accord has metallic gun metal gray. 111,000 miles and the paint is near new condition. No hood chips anywhere or any signs of failing, pealing or fading etc. This gray paint on my Accord is very durable. There are a few deep dents on the hood and roof and no cracking or pealing in those areas. I'm super happy with the durability. The interior is also like new. EX-L leather with no problems. Here is a couple pictures of its condition as of tonight.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My wife had an Accord Coupe V6 with a manual transmission. She didn't like the seats for long drives. I didn't care for it's heavy nose feeling and how it affected handling. The V6 Accord doesn't feel balanced while the 4 cylinder is fine.

I've ridden in Tennessee built Passats. It's basically VW's American Buick. It is one of the best riding cars I've ever been in. I wouldn't worry about VW reliability. VW's have really improved compared to a 2003 VW while a 2003 Honda was more reliable than a 2020 Honda.

Originally Posted by Chris B.
My 2012 Accord has metallic gun metal gray. 111,000 miles and the paint is near new condition. No hood chips anywhere or any signs of failing, pealing or fading etc. This gray paint on my Accord is very durable. There are a few deep dents on the hood and roof and no cracking or pealing in those areas. I'm super happy with the durability. The interior is also like new. EX-L leather with no problems. Here is a couple pictures of its condition as of tonight.

Your paint look really good! My 2012 is chipping everywhere and the clear coat is also coming off the front facia and rear bumper cover.

I had a white V6 Honda Accord 2007 and the paint held up well. It's possible your previous Honda was more than likely repainted in spots and that's why your having premature problems with paint. The car you are look at is good.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I would keep your current Accord.

That is the financial and logical reason on this one and absolutely concur with 62k. However emotions are taking over which is the other side of car buying.

I still have my 06 Accord, which will be my daughters car. Paint is still great. So is the interior, engine, etc. etc. My 2017 is blue. Interior is excellent. Comfortable seats. One problem that well known, and Honda has an extended warranty up to 10 years, is the LED DRL's. My drivers side went out 2 weeks ago. Called the dealer and confirmed it is under warranty for 10 years. Knowing that, I'm waiting until the passenger side goes out then take it in. On replacing the V6 timing belt. You don't have to go to the dealership. Do your homework and find a reputable mechanic. I paid 650 to have the 06 belt/water pump and tensioner replaced on the 06. You being in Florida, that sun will mess with any paint. We get solar blasted here in Oklahoma too. Before I bought the 17, the 06 was in the garage at night and on weekends. It was my daily driver for all those years through all weather that Oklahoma could throw at you. Still looks good, and it's black.

Originally Posted by Chris B.

Looks good, that is the color I would have preferred. I got the Taffeta White before I knew it was single stage. I have taking excellent care of it though, and its likely the best looking Taffeta White Accord in 500 miles, most just run through the car wash. That won't work with this paint. It is unfortunately thin and is getting to the point where I am afraid one more polish will expose the primer, it is already showing on a small sliver on the trunk.

Trade in value for your Accord is about $8,600. A $21k newer Accord after taxes and fees is probably around $24k. $8,600 trade in means spending $15,400 because of failing paint on your car.

I'd think you could get a really high end paint job, not a cheapo corner body shop, but at the pros for $4k and you could save $11k.

Especially since your current Accord is already immaculate, low miles, and fully loaded as well.

Back