Look at this mess --- PCV on 2008 Tundra

Just replaced this morning PCV on the 2008 Toyota Tundra in signature. Went with a Toyota OEM. No it did not rattle and felt like 4 times the weight of the replacement with all the crud outside/inside.
original-41FBFC17-EA71-47BE-84D2-226B091FB2B5.jpeg

What's up with the exterior crud? Are there other external oil leaks? Or is that somehow escaping from the PCV itself?

The PCV hole where it screws in was 90% closed with crud. I used my shop vac and sucked out what I could before installing the new PCV. Cant imagine it ever being changed before???

Wow! That is a dirty PCV valve. Is this truck short tripped? What is the normal OCI?
Just purchased this truck recently. Not sure of the maintenance before. Got fresh oil change/tran fluid and differentials for a base line to start. Also new cabin and air filters.

Every few years I check the PCV in my Tundra. Takes 10 minutes to pull clean and reinstall.. A quick shot of brake cleaner or degreaser and its good to go.

Paco

Appearance, rattles, and even air flow (restriction one way, free the opposite way) is rather dubious, IMO. The PCV in the Lexus (1UZ) always "tested" acceptable, per the service manual. When I had the intake apart, it was full of engine oil.

20210813_143819 Intake_Plenum Removed_resized.jpg

The valves are cheap enough, I just replace them every ~10k or so miles (ancient tune-up interval). I haven't looked thru the throttle body in a while 🤔 .

Back