Long Term Storage

I need a good metal protection for long term storage. I prefer an oil type over a grease. What would be a good choice for something I can pick up
at an auto parts store or walmart.

Bar and chain oil is inexpensive, and sticky. Still sticky years alter, make sure to cover it or dust will be very thick.

Take to car wash with hot water wash (not as common these days) Hot water and Dawn, soak in Pinesol or of course diesel to remove

Rod

It is for guns. I do have bar/chain oil but don't know if it has any rust/corrosion additives. I do have some cutting oil. I am thinking good gear oil might work.

For guns, Cosmoline. brown wax-like petroleum-based corrosion inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3. They are viscous when freshly applied, have a slight fluorescence, and solidify over time and exposure to air. Nothing is better.

Rod.

Originally Posted by passgas55
I need a good metal protection for long term storage. I prefer an oil type over a grease. What would be a good choice for something I can pick up

I use Fluid Film on some of mine for storage. Works pretty good, is OK for wood and is shootable without cleaning first. Have seen good results on tools and firearms over the past few years.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
For guns, Cosmoline. brown wax-like petroleum-based corrosion inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3. They are viscous when freshly applied, have a slight fluorescence, and solidify over time and exposure to air. Nothing is better.

Rod.

Yes. If you're going to store one for years, cosmoline.

He said cosmoline.....not vaseline
21.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
He said cosmoline.....not vaseline
21.gif

No , I was suggesting Vaseline . It works great .

I used regular Break Free CLP on one of my rifles (hammer forged barrel, chrome lined bore and chamber, stamped steel receiver, factory painted finish) and didn't do anything special for preservation. I kept it locked in a non-moisture controlled environment and haven't shot it in years. Last time I went to look at it, it didn't have any rust on it.

BoeShield is designed for long term storage and leaves a waxy film plus anti-rust additives. . You can get it from bike shops as it gets used on chains as a rust preventative.

BSW

Have you thought of Fluid Film? It's lanolin in a spray can. Available at auto parts stores. Non-toxic, no hydrocarbons, easy cleanup. I put it on a patch and ran it through the bore. When I want to shoot it again, I'll just run a dry patch through.

Originally Posted by passgas55

Trying to get you what you really need so would ask a little more.

How long is the storage estimated to be?

What environment is the storage ?

How much (if any) handling is expected during storage?

Is any "post cleaning"( to remove protecting agent) level acceptable in terms of restoring to service?

As many have suggested, any chemical that forms a barrier from atmosphere and contains some oil ( or other preservative) will protect metal and all recommendations are proper and valid. Then the question shifts to "what strength or other qualities the film strength has to have to resist the forces against it"

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Blogger named DIY_guy did a test of 46 products that's pretty famous on gun boards. Thing's a sticky most everywhere. It's good reading. Here's a link:
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

I love studies like that. But think it's more useful for car rustproofing than firearm storage indoors. Unless the water spray can be correlated to years at x% humidity...

IMO FF, Boeshield, cosmolene, and a few others like amsoil HDMP can work. They can also be pretty messy.

Corrosion X IMO smells pretty pungent but is a good compromise. It's purpose made for superior lubricity and corrosion protection. Break free also makes a specific oily product for collectors or something like that.

Gear oil never made sense to me because I'm not a fan of sulfur compounds and atmospheric moisture meeting. Some oils are also designed to suspend moisture to a certain level, which I think I'd prefer to not be the case...

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
BoeShield is designed for long term storage and leaves a waxy film plus anti-rust additives. . You can get it from bike shops as it gets used on chains as a rust preventative.

BSW

I accidentally tested Boeshield T9 this winter. I had a hand saw which the blade was treated with Boeshield and when the handle cracked I threw it in my scrap metal pile. It has been laying there, horizontal and collecting the elements since Feburary 2020. The metal is still just about perfect. Now this isn't a LONG term test but I'm pretty impressed! I usually use Fluid Film for storing my firearms but after seeing this I'd be totally comfortable using either! The boeshield wipes on nicely and if left with a light coat is barely noticeable.

Back