Long-awaited 2012 Camry, revealed, REALLY. sorta..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Improved driving dynamics in Toyota's world probably means that instead of handling like a mule, the new Camry will be gracious as a cow

LOL! that's kinda mean but funny and probably VERY true.
95% Camry drivers on the road also seem to be VERY distracted - wavering, hogging fast lane at half the speed limit, not signaling etc etc...it's amazing how many Camry drivers i see doing that sort of thing everyday.

It's strange, judging by the online response (forums, auto-blogs, etc.) this car will tank. Most people who cared at all to leave a comment have sneered at it for being dull, boring, bland, etc.

I think it's the best looking sedan at the moment. I like the mid-level belt-line. Visibility is pretty important. I am not thrilled about the recent trend towards high belt-lines (worst offender: Hyundai.)

Can you think of a more handsome exterior?

This beats the Porsche Panamera.

This beats the Hyundai Genesis.

Beats the Sonata which is starting to look fat and ungainly to me (though not as ugly as the CURRENT Camry)

Time will tell, but I think Toyota has a winner here if the rest of the car is up to par: utility/practicality, handling, gas efficiency.

Keep in mind also that I am no Toyota fan-boy. I do own a 2007 Corolla but I have been looking to replace it ever since I got it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mareakin
Can you think of a more handsome exterior?

It's all subjective obviously, but I'd take the exterior of a Buick LaCrosse over this new Camry.

Quote:
.....Can you think of a more handsome exterior?

This beats the Porsche Panamera.

This beats the Hyundai Genesis.

Beats the Sonata .....
crackmeup2.gif
If you seriously believe this tripe, you have gone off the deep end. Then again, you also raved about the new Corolla too, so gushing over the new stretched version, the 2012 Camry, should be no surprise. Now understand who it's "long-awaited" by, current Corolla and Camry owners.

To be clear, I don't hate it, but style wise it's nothing special. But it's not supposed to be, it's a Camry.

I like it, a lot. I liked the previous generation also, but this one has much more class. I like the touches of bright work on the outside. If they improve the handling some and continue to improve the interior, it'll continue to be a top seller.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Yes, I'm curious as well as to who was "long awaiting" this car.....

It's not a car that a speed junkie lusts after, but it's been the top-selling midsize sedan for decades, and is sometimes the best-selling car (non-truck) for certain months/years. The new Camry is an extremely important car for Toyota, and a significant new player in the industry. The previous generation Camry, despite being a best-seller, has been objectively surpassed by its competition. Unbeknownst to many of you, there IS a Toyota car culture out there, and the introduction of the new Camry is a significant event for a lot of people.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Yes, I'm curious as well as to who was "long awaiting" this car.....

It's not a car that a speed junkie lusts after, but it's been the top-selling midsize sedan for decades, and is sometimes the best-selling car (non-truck) for certain months/years. The new Camry is an extremely important car for Toyota, and a significant new player in the industry. The previous generation Camry, despite being a best-seller, has been objectively surpassed by its competition. Unbeknownst to many of you, there IS a Toyota car culture out there, and the introduction of the new Camry is a significant event for a lot of people.

Agree entirely. I think it looks like its gonna be a great car too. For me Toyota has always been the "appliance" car. I'd look at a Camry honestly, if it were as nice as it looks, I would probably consider buying one down the road.

The usual tame and inoffensive Toyota design - I must have missed the "long-awaited" part.

It looks Sharp and slick. I like it over the past 2 gens of Camry's. Camry's are highly refined driving wise which tends to take the fun out of driving them. Rides are generally smooth and very nice build quality. I'm just curious to see how much more it costs over previous invoice/MSRP listings.

It's not baaaaaa_________d.

But there's nothing outstanding about it either. Wonder what the interior looks like.

Is the giant grilled opening in the lower bumper hybrid specific I wonder. Extra cooling for the inverter radiator, maybe.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see a little Subaru Legacy in it?

Is this some sort of weird combination of parts out of the Lafayette, Indiana plant that builds Camries and Subarus?

Maybe it's just the way the taillights wrap around but the first thing I thought when I saw it was Subaru Legacy.

I must be in the minority here. I think it's VERRY good looking. If the internals are much improved, I can't see another car beating it.

Beating it in what?
Sales? Possibly. It's been the best selling before.
Comfort and quiet? Maybe.
Being a dynamic driver's car? Not very likely. I don't think that has ever been Toyota's plan for the Camry. It's supposed to be an efficient and innocuous appliance. That's their bread and butter. A midsize car for people that don't really like cars

Yes, I meant sales. Toyota said this car should be better than the old car in every possible way (subjective styling, notwithstanding.)

Also, according to a report, the Toyota dealerships who have every reason to be nervous, are quite optimistic about this car. They've test driven it and they say it's better than the competition.

We'll know how this car really stacks up to others in 3 weeks.

I like the refresh Toyota has given the Camry and Corolla. A bit more flash with the chrome around the lights; and for the Camry, they've taken away some of the 'melted' look the old one had.

Looks like another appliance car to me, note far too many cars in that class that all look alike, kind of boring.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Does anyone else see a little Subaru Legacy in it?

Is this some sort of weird combination of parts out of the Lafayette, Indiana plant that builds Camries and Subarus?

Maybe it's just the way the taillights wrap around but the first thing I thought when I saw it was Subaru Legacy.

I must be in the minority here. I think it's VERRY good looking. If the internals are much improved, I can't see another car beating it.

Beating it in what?
Sales? Possibly. It's been the best selling before.
Comfort and quiet? Maybe.
Being a dynamic driver's car? Not very likely. I don't think that has ever been Toyota's plan for the Camry. It's supposed to be an efficient and innocuous appliance. That's their bread and butter. A midsize car for people that don't really like cars.

THIS!! (the bolded above^^^^^)

To me, the reason the Camry was getting redesigned is because the Hyundai Sonata got a successful redesign which dramatically incresed the amount of MPG and Horsepower per price in a car that size.

Will this new Camry have a much better engine and a 6 speed automatic transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back