Long-awaited 2012 Camry, revealed, REALLY. sorta..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revealed here: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline...ndisguised.html

and with camouflage, here: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/26/2012-toyota-camry-closer-to-revealing-new-look/

Quote:
Toyota did a driving comparison event between 7th gen Camry, Sonata, Accord and Fusion at the dealer meeting and from what I understand, it would have been a more fair comparison if they had included the TL, LaCrosse, ES350 and some entry level luxury models. Interior and driving dynamics of the Camry seem to be in another league among its competitors.

You might think, "Well, of course Toyota dealers are going to like the Camry," but you'd be surprised with how critical these people can be. The Camry, no surprise, is the car that Toyota dealers depend on and they know that it has to be spot on and nothing less. These are probably the biggest critics of the car, and they absolutely loved it.

People will look at the 7th gen Camry and probably say that they didn't do enough to differentiate the design but most of the R&D money has been spent on quality - inside the cabin, under the hood, and at the wheels. Completely new interior and I'm hearing that the XLE has a leather stitched dash. 3GR has been updated a bit and now produces a bit more power and 2-3 better MPG, same for the 4cyl. Suspensions have been completely revamped for more control and feedback (even on non SE models) and the cars have been vibration tested for soundness and quality up to 125MPH for both 4cyl and V6. I've also heard that the body panel gaps are tighter than any Lexus sedan in production right now.

==========================================================================

So, what do you think of this all-new long-awaited Toyota response to the onslaught of some very fierce competitors to their bread-n-butter?

I like the look. It's definitely an improvement over the current Camry which is second ugliest car in the segment (ugliest car: Nissan Altima. IMHO.) It's very handsome, very classy. Hopefully Toyota cribs from Lexus for this car at the expense of stealing Lexus sales. Frankly, I think I like this look better than the new Sonata which is beginning to look bulbous and gaudy.

If Toyota can deliver on the promise of a better interior, better handling, and near best in class MPG, it should remain the sales leader.

Last edited:
Hideous, and being a Camry I seriously, seriously doubt the "driving dynamics" are anywhere near top of the class, unless you are counting low NVH as the top criteria of "driving dynamics".

I don't hate it.

I rent the base models of the current Camry with regularity. I don't like them very much. While they are competent cars, it seems to me that the other manufacturers have passed the Camry in quality and driving dynamics. I almost purchased a high end Camry Hybrid (dealer and I could not come to terms). I still like those very much.

I feel it's long overdue for an update.

I must be in the minority here. I think it's VERRY good looking. If the internals are much improved, I can't see another car beating it.

It looks like some took the current Corolla and stretched it on all sides. Does Toyota not have any designers or something? Their cars rarely look good.

Last edited:
Quote:
I must be in the minority here. I think it's VERRY good looking. If the internals are much improved, I can't see another car beating it.
lol.gif
Agree with your initial unedited comment, that it looks like stretched Corolla. I can see why they focusing on "the internals". As said, looks like a Camry.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
It looks like some took the current Corolla and stretched it on all sides. Does Toyota not have any designers or something? Their cars rarely look good.

Sir, those are Fight'N words. J/K.

This car conforms handsomely to our sense of what a "sedan" ought to look like.

That's not a bad thing. People want a sedan to look like a sedan and not like a bulbous thing (ie, Sonata.)

In fact, this car could pass as a Lexus.

It's not meant to appeal to the younger crowd anyway. The current Camry already sells well, and this is much better (looks wise.)

Well, it certainly won't standout in a crowd, which is a Toyota hallmark. The Camry has always been conservatively styled and boring just like the rest of their lineup. I am sure it does everything good just like the rest of their vehicles, but nothing excellent and will have no soul. It's an appliance to reliably take you to work and back without any excitement.

NO Camry ever was, nor ever will be "long-awaited" by me.

I would rather ride my road rscing bicycle where I have to go than be forced to drive one of those refrigerators on wheels (I would probably get there faster as well
lol.gif
)!!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
It looks like some took the current Corolla and stretched it on all sides. ....
Glad I'm not imagining this -- this is exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
NO Camry ever was, nor ever will be "long-awaited" by me.

I would rather ride my road rscing bicycle where I have to go than be forced to drive one of those refrigerators on wheels (I would probably get there faster as well
lol.gif
)!!
31.gif

Yes, I'm curious as well as to who was "long awaiting" this car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back