lol - why are people so dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this guy at work's Civic with 207,000 km's has never serviced his ATX! Its slipping and flaring and he's all concerned about spending $3500 on a new tranny. Some guy here is telling him to dump some Lucas into there (it'll solve everything
rolleyes.gif
) , and someone else is telling him to get a FLUSH done, and I tried it intervene telling him thats the worst advice ev0r, but he wouldnt listen to me. because the guy told him to "drop the pan" and pour the lucas on it... HONDA transmissions dont have a pan!! I advised a slow fluid exchange with some AutoRX, and i even tried explaining the "shock" theory to him with fluid exchanges... mentioned he probably has internal pressure leaks and he must have a ton of buildup in there sealing some of these leaks, and he listened to the other guys...some people... I'll try and bite my tongue when he delivers the bad news.
dunno.gif

Don't worry. Sooner or later he'll have to live up to the reality that he's going to have to spend that $3,500 to get the tranny working properly again.

Yeah you can do what you want. If the trans is already slipping then its probably trashed. I'm sure this guy will add some additives and get a flush. He will then go on to blame the flush when the trans fails totally. He will forget about the transmission having major issues and no service history before the flush.

^ lol - same here!!

Ok so i talked to him, and we checked it out on lunch. All i can say is, i've never seen tranny fluid look like used motor oil, dark brown at best, but not black! After riding in the car, it seemed to have a bit of life left in 'er because most of the symptoms were as a result of the low fluid level (I'll call it "severe ATF atrophy"
tongue.gif
), although the way he was slipping those clutches, they must be on their last legs. We head on over to the Canadian Tire and did a quick drain/fill in the parking lot. On the drive back, it seems back to normal. He said yesterday it downshifted to 2nd (or first!)@80km/h which pushed his tach to redline and mentioned one of the sensors inside is fried (he got the code pulled last week). So eventually he'll be looking for a new gearbox, theres no doubt. But for now, its enough to let him drive around for a while.

They actively chose to remain that way! I think our school systems programs people to remain in a vegatative state and await the spoon feeding!If ever you see Jay Leno's(sp) "Jay Walking" segment you will see what I mean! He never ask's a question that a 6th,7th,or 8th grader should not know the answere to! It is almost always a question about either U.S. history or how our government functions!The funiset part is that most of the legal imagrants especialy those that have become U.S. Citizens get the questions right! Few Americans that are born and raised in the USA get the questions right!

Oil Dealer,

Tell your friend to look on Honda-Tech.com or team-integra.net, they have tons of people that build out (rice out?) their civic with Integra engine/tranny or doing auto to manual conversion, and usually you can get a good condition used Auto tranny under 80k miles for around $400.

Good luck.

Honda has never advertised "lifetime" fluids but in the newer cars a trans service is advertised as not needing to be done until 105K. The interval used to be 15K.

I drive an Acura and so does the girlfriend. I usually dump the trans fluid at every other oil change. Why not? I get free ATF-Z1 and with the Honda trans drain plug system their is no excuse not to change it often. It is literally a "spill and fill" operation.

Anyway, not changing the ATF for that long is asking for trouble. Honda or not, trans fluid wears out and gets burnt up eventually.

A co-worker of mine insists it is bad to change the ATF because it "breaks the seal."

I said, "well what happens when you pull out the dipstick?" Nevertheless.... Whatever, itt's not my car. Ignorance often has a price.

What about "sealed" automatics, such as the ZF tiptronic used by VW/Audi? The manual says to "check condition and level of fluid" every 40K miles, but moost VW techs. decline to open the thing up, pleading "sealed transmission." Draining the fluid is a cinch -- ask the folks who opened the tranny drain plug instead of the engine oil pan drain plug -- but refilling to the proper level is a bear without a hoist or a pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back