Locals nabbed for converter thefts

OMG, I couldn't really tell the details of the man's face from the thumbnail pic., then I clicked on link..... yikes. No surprise drugs involved here. smh.

Sometimes instant karma takes care of the converter thief, saving the taxpayers future costs. The link shows one such case I recently heard about.

Car thieves are just scum.

A special kind of hated.. catalytic converter thieves, "disliked" for sure, but stealing your car is a special kind of hated.

This type of theft is so common in Canada as well, what perplexes me is why the cats are so easy to sell? If the insurance companies that are covering (most common scenario) the replacement don't start screaming at the police / elected officials to clamp down on the auto recyclers who take these cats from the meth heads the problem will never end.

I monitor a few cameras for my employer.

We have had entire pickup trucks stolen out of the gated lot. We have had cats cut off ford trucks in a gated lot. Start batteries stolen from generators. Hitches taken from trucks. Spare tires stolen from trucks.

The latest incident was copper thiefs taking generator wiring and AC copper tubing.

When we had the stuff rewired, we had to sink the conduit in concrete forms to prevent theft again.

The average thief doesn't care about the camera, they come on a bicycle and take what they want, and move along.

I monitor a few cameras for my employer.

We have had entire pickup trucks stolen out of the gated lot. We have had cats cut off ford trucks in a gated lot. Start batteries stolen from generators. Hitches taken from trucks. Spare tires stolen from trucks.

The latest incident was copper thiefs taking generator wiring and AC copper tubing.

When we had the stuff rewired, we had to sink the conduit in concrete forms to prevent theft again.

The average thief doesn't care about the camera, they come on a bicycle and take what they want, and move along.
that is when it is time to hire the doberman gang of security attack dogs and forget to hang the danger signs!

1 down 10000000000000 to go. Now he will go to jail for a bit and teach others how to do it. Jail/prison is where criminals go to be better criminals.
Discussion I had with my daughter and her boyfriend after his Honda Element had the catalytic converter stolen for the 2nd time is make it illegal for scrap yards to buy these or certainly make it a lot more difficult. Muffler or auto repair shops can get waivers, of course. And yes, I know folks can replace their own converters and have a legitimate need to recycle them for money but I haven't thought that far ahead.... 🤪. Heh, require proof of receipt for a new/replacement converter ? That would be an issue for someone that simply removed their converter, yeah, but it's also technically an EPA violation, is it not ? If you go that route, sorry, you don't get the benefit of recycling your converter.

Last edited:
Back