LL01 For Direct Injection

More of an observation than anything which I found a little strange.

My Wife has just bought a 2015 Mini Cooper which she is picking up on the weekend.

Being the BITOG'er that I am, I just popped the VIN into the Mini website and downloaded the user manual for no other reason that to look at the oil specification.

The car itself has a small 1.5 litre 3 cylinder, direct injected and turbocharged engine making just shy of 140bhp. Therefore, I was expected it to be specified with LL04 & LL04FE oils. Maybe with an ACEA C3 or C2 as an alternative. However, the manual specifically says you can use LL01 & LL01FE oils in this engine with ACEA A3/B4 used as an alternative...

SnipImage.JPG

Clearly no LSPI worries here then! I'll probably end up putting M1 0w40 FS in here at 6 month/5k intervals.

Good call there. Only "issue" I would see is the FS M1 could possibly, maybe, maybe not, is rumored to, said that it won't, perhaps might, but then again no one really knows, cause increased carbon build up (CBU) or intake valve deposits (IVD) due to the high SAPS. Not familiar with that engine and the likelyhood of those deposits forming due to it's design, but if so, you would have to do the manual removing of deposits no matter which oil you choose.

have fun changing oil. that thing is packed tight. A friend has one with the supercharged engine, talk about packed tight.

Good call there. Only "issue" I would see is the FS M1 could possibly, maybe, maybe not, is rumored to, said that it won't, perhaps might, but then again no one really knows, cause increased carbon build up (CBU) or intake valve deposits (IVD) due to the high SAPS. Not familiar with that engine and the likelyhood of those deposits forming due to it's design, but if so, you would have to do the manual removing of deposits no matter which oil you choose.
BMW "fixed" the IVD issue in 2010.

BMW "fixed" the IVD issue in 2010.

I've read up a bit now on the B38, B48 and B58 engines and it does seem that intake carbon deposits aren't really an issue!

Will be using Archoil 6900P-Max in it with Super Unleaded hopefully to keep things clean and running right. The Archoil product does mention in it's blurb that it helps stop the build up of IVD's. Not sure how considering it will never get at the back of the intake valve, although it does contain PEA.

I've read up a bit now on the B38, B48 and B58 engines and it does seem that intake carbon deposits aren't really an issue!

Will be using Archoil 6900P-Max in it with Super Unleaded hopefully to keep things clean and running right. The Archoil product does mention in it's blurb that it helps stop the build up of IVD's. Not sure how considering it will never get at the back of the intake valve, although it does contain PEA.
But it will keep the injectors clean and the spray patterns to spec.

But it will keep the injectors clean and the spray patterns to spec.

That's my thoughts anyway.

I've been using Archoil 6900D-Max in our diesels for years now. Not had any emissions device related failure, fuel pump, injector etc. All our engines have run like the day we got them right up until we got rid of them. Was it the Archoil stuff? I can't say for sure. But it gives me the warm fuzzies!

After reading their website and PDS it doesn't seem like there is much it doesn't do.
I didn't review their site but i was more so speaking towards Fuel System Cleaners containing PEA from trusted brands. From the way you phrased it, it appears they are right behind the Avengers and just ahead of the Justice league in claimed ability. LOL

This is the product for anyone interested. I've tried a few different bits and pieces from the Archoil range. I'm not sure how they compare to those Archoil products across the water?

More of an observation than anything which I found a little strange.

My Wife has just bought a 2015 Mini Cooper which she is picking up on the weekend.

Being the BITOG'er that I am, I just popped the VIN into the Mini website and downloaded the user manual for no other reason that to look at the oil specification.

The car itself has a small 1.5 litre 3 cylinder, direct injected and turbocharged engine making just shy of 140bhp. Therefore, I was expected it to be specified with LL04 & LL04FE oils. Maybe with an ACEA C3 or C2 as an alternative. However, the manual specifically says you can use LL01 & LL01FE oils in this engine with ACEA A3/B4 used as an alternative...

View attachment 152664

Clearly no LSPI worries here then! I'll probably end up putting M1 0w40 FS in here at 6 month/5k intervals.
For the last couple of years, I have been using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 which has the LL01 approval in my Cooper S with the N18 turbo engine. At 52k miles there are no apparent carbon deposit issues.

Last edited:
There's few to zero reason LL-01 oil in Europe today on a modern turbo DI. Your wife use ultra-low sulphur fuel only, same in UK like EU. So I'd run LL-04 like M1 ESP 5W-30. It even isn't as pricey and hard to get as in America. That said MUCH more choice on LL-04 compared to NA since plenty of Brits love to run Diesel passenger cars such as VW, Skoda, BMW or Mercedes which predominantly require ACEA C3 oil.

ps
'LL-04FE' doesn't exist - LL-04 is 'full HTHS' only

Last edited:
There's few to zero reason LL-01 oil in Europe today on a modern turbo DI. Your wife use ultra-low sulphur fuel only, same in UK like EU. So I'd run LL-04 like M1 ESP 5W-30. It even isn't as pricey and hard to get as in America. That said MUCH more choice on LL-04 compared to NA since plenty of Brits love to run Diesel passenger cars such as VW, Skoda, BMW or Mercedes which predominantly require ACEA C3 oil.

ps
'LL-04FE' doesn't exist - LL-04 is 'full HTHS' only
i just posted in another tread that it costs 60 euros 5lt can .its not the cheapest oil in europe ,you know.and that price is on autodoc which is usually cheaper than most internet eu and uk shops. whats the price in us?
he can get TOTAL INEO MC3 5-30 ,its not sp, its SN, acea c3 ,mb 229.52 ,LL04 almost same specs with mobil.and can find easily at opieoils.uk ,price is ridiculous for such an oil. i bought it in a bottle that costed me 9 euros only! so if its 5 then 45 euros,cheaper than castrol ! much cheaper -15 euros than mombil 1! and its good oil!

Back