Little things that makes your car special to you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On the e39, I like the little 'gong' sound and message that shows up on the display when the temperature drops below 37F, to remind you that roads may be icy.

Other than that, all the hidden on-board computer (standard equipment) readouts are nice since I'm a tech geek. You can look up the actual coolant temp, engine rpm, amount of fuel in both tanks, real time fuel consumption (in liters/100km and liters/hour), battery voltage, etc.

The one thing that's not there that I wish was there is the ability to read oil temp.

I also like how easy it is to replace the oil filter from the top without making a mess. I only found that out when I did the first oil change.

Finally, I really like the idea of having the battery in the trunk - it stays clean and is easy to access. It also helps with F/R weight distribution. :)

This all look very familiar to what my Z4 does. Except that I haven't figured out how to see the readings like the coolant temp, etc. Did you have to activate something or is it a standard ability to view these? I can only see few items like outside temp, average MPG, average speed and such by pressing the button on the turn signal stalk.

I like a subtle high beam indicator. Some cars use a square that's very distracting.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Did you have to activate something or is it a standard ability to view these? I can only see few items like outside temp, average MPG, average speed and such by pressing the button on the turn signal stalk.

Not sure about your model. On the e38/e39, some of these tests need to be unlocked first. Instructions are here:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/129948

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/ripp222/original/Instrument Cluster Test Fcn E38.pdf

If you search around on various bmw forums, you may be able to find something similar for your e85, if it's not the same.

2003 Passat:

I like that the headlight switch either turns all lights on or off, no middle ground that lets you turn on your interior lights and running lights without the headlights being on. I also appreciate that the headlights do not have some sort of automatic switch; when in doubt, turn them on.

I also like that the owners manual has its own storage slot under the steering wheel. I did not know about this for years and that big, clunky thing was taking up all my glove box space, leaving me little space for my gloves.

1974 F-250: Twin jumpseats in SuperCab=totally sweet, perfect for younger kids, who would fight over who got to sit in them

1988 Mercury Cougar: all-around looks/bad-a$$-ness, and the fact that it just wouldn't fall apart, even after driving over Cottonwood pass in CO!

1994 Taurus: Lots of people-space and big trunk. +Theft-resistance :)

1995 Sable LTS: My wife loves the purple metallic paint (standard) and the lovely tasteful leather interior

1994 Buick Park Avenue: SUPER-CHARGED A/C!! REAL climate control! WE maintained 65F on a 100F day and still got 29.9MPG! Super-big, comfy seats. Back seat is huge = awesome comfort for road trips and room for up to THREE baby seats. Automatic trunk release and closure. Load leveling = can put 1000lbs of people in and still handle well! OVERALL HUGENESS! Can whack a 8-point buck at 73 mph and have no consequential mechanical or driveability problems!

My Maxima is the first car I've owned that has power seats (8 way). Prior to that, my parents had cars with power seats, but usually 4 or 6 positions. I never found the 7th and 8th position (tilting seat bottom) until I'd owned the car about 3 or 4 years. It was like I had a brand new car again...or at least a new seat. :)

Last edited:
I know it's not a factory option (or is it), but I like that:
2001 Civic LX, 204,600 miles.
Non-normal parts replaced are the thermal overload circuit on the A/C compressor twice, and the alternator. That is it. Those three parts cost me $350 grand total. That's the kind of reliability I will expect from every car I buy from now on.
C'mon Ford Fusion and Chevy Malibu/Cruze..........I'm interested.

I like the sound of the engine firing up

I like the sound of the engine running hard up to redline

I like that I have a car hardly anybody else has

I like the powerband of the motor

I like the high rpm's the motor can sustain

I notice some of you guys talking about seats, I like my seats as well, they have good bolsters on the side.

They are leather, they adjust up, down, front, back, two different tilt buttons, inflatable side bolsters, inflatable lumbar

Last edited:
2002 VW Jetta
-2 stage door locks, press unlock or turn key once to unlock driver side door only, twice to unlock all doors
-windows can be opened/closed using key on driver side door
-power windows reverse if it touches something while closing
-comfortable seats, both front and rear seats feel comfortable for long trips
-large trunk space for its car size
-headlight switch has only on/off position so you can't turn on the parking light feature
-red color illuminated switches and knobs very nice at night, even the passenger window switches are lighted
-variable speed intermittent wipers, there are 4 settings
-tighter steering wheel, many other cars I've driven have relatively loose steering
-folding key, master keys has remote and key in one unit and folds so keys don't poke through your pocket
-most bulbs are single fillament except for headlight and front turn signal, so the rear turn signal/brake light/tail light are separate bulbs
-turn signal repeater on the side

I noticed something that I have on my Silverado, that I missed not having on a rental car this week.

Heated exterior mirrors.

not having a car payment and paying $30/month for liability insurance while only paying $50/month in gas. makes my sunfire real special to me
grin2.gif

Jeep,
THe Dents on the tub from the overhead rack.

The rear Quarter panels with some paint knocked off from Rocks.

The Rear bumper, the last OEM ARMOR ON THE JEEP AND THE PLASTIC COVERING LOOKS LIKE A BIG WHEEL THAT WAS DRUG UNDER A TRUCK FROM THE PLASTIC RUBBING OFF ON ROCKS.

THe Tie Rod and its tendency to flex and bow under pressure(need to upgrade that part)

THe Stock Rear differential cover that I scraped halfway off on a rock and had to limp home and install another one.

The Drains in the tub! I love to hose it out.

THe doors come off and I gain an inch of ground clearance fromthat and removing the back seat!

2006 Infiniti M45

-Intelligent key: no need to take your key out to unlock and lock doors. Push button start. Also if you hold unlock on the remote for about 5 seconds all 4 windows roll down.

- Back up camera with distance line and lines that move when the steering wheel turns. Also mirror tilts down avoiding curb rashes to your wheels.

- Intelligent cruise control with lane departure warning: lane departure can get annoying at times but theres a switch to turn it off. Intelligent cruise uses a radar to determine the distance of the car ahead and you can select 3 preset distance to how close or far away from the car ahead. Automatically brakes if it gets too close.

- Birdseye view navigation. Also can display all 4 tire pressure which is helpful. Voice activated navigation, audio and climate control.

- Bose 14 speaker 5.1 surround sound with speakers on the seats. It sounds incredible when watching a movie but not so much with music.

I don't know what else to list off my head because there's too many. lol

2007 toyota tundra crewmax 4x4:
2. hauls our dirtbikes
3. real time mpg and avg mpg
4. 6 speed auto
5. 381 horsepower
6. drives very comfortable and nice to commute in
7. entire rear window slide down feature
8. 4x4
9. reliable, plan to keep for 10 years at least, approx 200k miles.

dislikes
1. brakes warped at 17K, replaced under warranty; now at 43K starting again.
2. aluminum wheels corroded at 39K
3. front bumper replaced at 18K, rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back