List your first car or truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first car was a '53 Ford, I bought it for 5 $ with my paper route money. I was 10. I learned how to drive after a fashion on old farm and forest roads. My first legal car was a '54 IH 1 ton walk in van.

1979 Turd Brown Pontiac Grand Prix, with the 301 2bbl V8. The shaft in the 2bbl let go and contined to dump fuel down the intake until the bearings were wiped out.

Dad picked up a 1974 Grand Prix with the 400 4bbl V8, and we swapped that into the car. Putting an engine into a car at the age of 16, how could I not get hooked on that? Boy, was high school fun with that car. Popped alot of cherries in that back seat. Some in the front seat, too. Luckily, gas was only $0.89/gallon so the 13mpg that it got on the highway didn't make much difference.

Went off to college out of state and dad sold that car the week after I left. I was devistated, especially because he sold it to some putz that crashed it into several pieces before my first semester break. I never got to see that car again.

Last edited:
89 Pontiac Sunbird 2 door. The doors had holes rusted through them, but the little gutless 2.0 s banger ran like a champ until my cousin got t-boned and it was totaled.

1986 Toyota Corolla LE. My first car and manual transmission.

This was a hand me down from the parents. I remember getting out of school before they got home. I was in 9th grade. Everyday we would roll it back and forth to learn how to drive a stick shift. We got confident and started taking it for small joyrides. I was 14.

Uninspected, unregistered, uninsured. But hey, that's being a kid right? lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I must be younger than most on here!

My first car is the one I still own - the 2005 Cobalt in my signature line. Bought it the summer after my freshman year in college.

Makes two of us. First Vehicle I owned is my 2005 Silverado That I bought new back in March 2005. 8 years later and has less than 59,000 miles on it. I say it was a good investment. Me and my truck got a lot of history so far and still making it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon

Mine was a 1954 Morris Minor 1000.

The '54 MM was an 803cc engine, the 950cc Minor 1000 came out in 1956...although the 803 got the new grille in '54 which makes it confusing, the split screen is the clue. My first car was a '54 Morris Minor, and it had the sidevalve low light grille as well as the lights in the guards. It was a gutless wonder, and not good in a hilly city like Auckland - we used to go looking for the steepest streets and hit them as fast as we could...finally doing a double de clutch into 1st to get up to the top. Good car for a 16 year old to learn on.

My 1st truck was a 1957 International AS110, one tough truck that sucked gas... it did 4mpg with an 18 year boot on the pedal. As an apprentice on low wages I would be out of gas money after the weekend, and to get to my 2 night school classes during the week would walk the streets with a 4 gallon tin and a piece of hose.

2001 Ford Taurus that I got from my grandmother. It was a nice car ... but it ended up rusting to death at 75K miles.

It's shame - engine and transmission were perfect. It had leather seats. I upgraded it to the premium audio system (actually made quite a bit buying them from junkyards and selling them), installed a trans cooler.

But it got to the point that it was severely rusted. The left "Frame" rail was gone on the left side (around the B pillar) causing the doors to never work right unless it was perfectly level. The engine cradle / subframe wasn't actually mounted to the car's structure on one side thanks to rust and one of the control arms was about to rot off of the car. It also has rotted out PS lines and the fluid would randomly squirt out of the reservoir. The metal heater core lines were rusty cuasing it to leak a gallon of coolant a week.

If the car didn't rust so bad, I'd still be driving it today.

A '66 Mustang Coupe. White exterior with bright red seats. I dropped in a '69 302 with a Toploader. The factory speedometer went to 140 mph and, of course, I had to see what it would do. I sure hope my kids never try anything so stupid. The next owner couldn't handle it and wrapped it around a tree.

1976 Jeep CJ7, Navy Blue with white top. It was a tank, but a handful to drive on a daily basis.

Mine was a 1981 formula firebird. LOVED that car! I was sure it was fast! Pretty sure my 4 cylinder subaru with an automatic could outrun it though.

Mine was a 1976 Chevrolet Impala. I saved up enough $ over a year to buy a car that was at least a few leaps above the junkyard. looking back, that might've been the best $50 I'd ever spent. That bomb drove me all over for 4+ years. Frame rust took it out.
frown.gif

I had earlier cars that were free from family, but this Impala was the first I picked and bought.

Last edited:
Was the 1997 Chevy Cavalier we bought from my grandfather in my case. Not particularly interesting.

My mom's first car was my grandfathers 1978 Oldsmobile Regency 98 he gave her. My dad's was a 1968 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 8 track player lol.

1984 Cutlass, with the 307 V-8 and 4bbl carb. TH-200-C three speed auto with a peg-leg 2.14:1 rear axle. But it had T Tops, bucket seats, rallye gauges, rallye wheels (yes, that's how they spelled "rally"), and it oozed class.

not_blizzard.jpg

1981 Honda Civic hatchback 1.5, auto. Bought used in '87 from a guy who mailed me the title. Found out it was a salvage when I bought my second car, 1989 Honda Civic Si hatchback, and lost more than half the value as a trade in.
mad.gif
I didn't know better at the time.
Traded the '89 in '93 on the truck in my signature which I've now owned 20 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back