List your first car or truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it would be fun to list and describe the very first car/truck you owned.

Mine was a 1969 Buick Skylark. 350 V-8 with the 350 turbo hydromatic transmission and two barrel carb. Maroon body with a white roof. Exhaust pipe was rotted off under the passenger seat so it was very loud, (which of course, I thought was cool). Body was rusted and beat up, but ran like a scalded dawg. One afternoon, I got it to 130 mph on the Bee Line Expressway in Orange County Florida. Got it when I was 16 and paid 300 bucks for it. Learned to change the oil and filter, change the plugs and set points on that car. In two years I went through three sets of bias ply tires. Drove it for two years and sold it for 300 bucks.

First truck was a 1958 Chevy Apache half ton that belonged to my Uncle. He bought it brand new in '58 and drove it till he got cancer in '82, (he fought it for a year and died in the fall of '83). He was so sick, he couldn't take care of his place, (he lived on five acres), so I would go down and mow his grass and disc his little grove and generally work around the place. He kept trying to pay me and I wouldn't take pay. Every week, when I was taking a break, I would look at that old truck. One day, he and I were sitting at his kitchen table and he asked me if I like that truck. I told him yes, so he pulled out the title, signed it and gave it to me.

It had the 235 straight six cylinder, one barrel carb, three speed standard transmission with column shift. Geared very low, wide open it would go 50-55 mph. Like the Buick, it was very rusty, floor boards had large holes rusted in them so when you drove, your pants legs would billow out, (on a rainy day, you got soaked). Motor finally threw a rod and it sat in my Dad's backyard for about ten years with me saying I was gonna fix it up one day. Finally, my Dad got tired of looking at it and gave it to the junkman.

First car, 1966 Ford Mustang 3 speed, 200 cubic inch. It had no floors and the transmission was bad but it did run. I was 16, my buddies and I rebuilt the transmission, the old 2.77, twice. It was actually kind of fun. We put some floors in it and I had that car for about 10 more years before I had to "put it down." To much rust, hey it was in New England.

First truck 2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4x4. I ordered it from Dodge the way I wanted. I still have it as my daily driver.

I wish I still had that Mustang. I do have the keys for it still.

1972 VW Karmann Ghia. That was the start of my pattern of being a horrible used car buyer. It was dusk when I first took a look at it and I didn't know a thing about KG's, so the nose damage didn't look too bad and I didn't know there were any major differences between model years. The stock single port 1600 CC engine ran like a champ and it apparently had the nicest clutch, which made it that much easier for me to learn to drive a stick. I wasn't too fond of girls thinking it was a "cute" car (I guess the leopard print seat cover over the driver's seat didn't help with that image) and I soon found out that getting the nose damage repaired was no easy feat due to the body being a single piece of steel. My disappointment with my purchase grew when I started learning about KGs and discovered that there were model years with much better looking taillights and bumpers.

Probably had the car for 4-5 months before it got totalled in an accident when I tried to play hooky in the last week of my senior year in high school. I started to change lanes from a stop, got hit in the front left fender by a car that went straight through a left turn lane, and buried the front right corner into the rear bumper of a pickup truck. The driver of the pickup was more distraught over the condition of my KG than the fact that she just got hit with her toddler in her car (it was a full sized pickup so I doubt the kid even noticed the impact). The accident was deemed to be partially my fault, so I got nothing for the car and eventually gave it to my friend's dad, who worked on VWs and probably stripped it for the still usable parts.

After saving for the summer, I purchased a 1961 Bug with an oil gulping engine and wonky 2nd gear. The used car adventure continued...

1966 Chevelle SS396,360 hp, Marina Blue, 4 speed, bought it used in 1969 for 1,200 dolars when I was 17 years old.

1993 Dodge Shadow, 2 door, turquoise, 2.2L TBI, 5 speed

This car had ZERO options. My dad bought it new. He put in a radio and speakers and that was all it had. I added a passenger side mirror.

I still have no idea how the OEM clutch lasted until it was traded at 140,000 miles. Let's just say, I did not treat that clutch like a friend.

I took better care of my second car, 1985 Monte Carlo SS.

1965 Chevrolet Impala 2 door. It had a 283 V-8 and PowerGlide, a two speed automatic. I waxed that car so many times you could see primer through the paint on the hood.

I added air shocks to raise the back end a little. I put a QuadraJet on it, then dual exhaust. Finally a camshaft for a 350 HP/350 CI Corvette and a recurved distributor. I learned that there is no substitute for cubic inches - the car was fast .. from 60 to 85. From a standing start it was worse than stock. It got replaced by a 1969 Pontiac GTO.

1973 VW Super Beetle 1600cc, my dad bought it for me when I turned 16 and it was in perfect condition. A year later it was barely recognizable as the abuse took its toll. What a shame, it was a beautiful car, I wish I had it today..

1968 Ford Ranchero (Torino body style era, not the Falcon era).

It had a 302, C4, and 9-inch and had been my dad's commuter car for years (this was circa 1979). He'd gotten his new Horizon (ack) to commute in after the gas crunches, and the Ranchero was rusting away as a weak excuse for a farm truck. My friends and I would drive it around the fields "practicing" for our driving tests... but we were pretty much learning to dirt-track ;-) The thing had about 180,000 miles at that point.

It finally snapped an oil pump drive shaft when the pump sucked up part of a nylon timing gear tooth leftover from a timing gear failure YEARS before. So a buddy and I put a 289 shortblock in it. That was my first really big mechanical project, and it went surprisingly well although I nearly killed the new engine by breaking it in with the timing so far retarded that the exhaust manifolds glowed :-/ I sanded it down and primed it and tried to shoot a paintjob, but it was pretty comically bad. At least it stopped further rusting. I drove it the first year or so after I got my license, but when Mom retired her 73 Satellite I swapped for it. The brakes were so weak in the Rancho that I think my folks were scared... probably rightly so given some of the stunts I pulled with the Satellite in following years ;-) Dad eventually sold the Rancho to a guy who dropped the drivetrain in an older F-100, which I saw running around for years after that.

At the time, it was almost an embarrassment to be seen in a Ranchero or ElCamino in my area. If you were a car guy you either drove a "REAL ****ing truck" or you drove a souped up car (didn't matter if the car was a muscle car- which were stupid cheap then, for example a friend had a '62 T-bird he got for a few hundred bucks- or a big-block family station wagon). But there was very little love for the car-trucks. About 3 of us had them. But today I'd LOVE to have any year of the Torino-bodied Rancheros as part of my collection.

This was my reply to a post asking about first vehicles back in November 2012.....

Mine was a 1954 Morris Minor 1000. It was behind the Texaco station where I "worked" as a kid. The boss, Lou, said if I could get it running it was mine.....man, I worked on that thing for what seemed forever. I think Lou must have helped out a bit because one day it DID start.

A MM has both an electric starter (mine was bad) and a crank/lug wrench combo so all of my start attempts were via crank!

Shortly after I got the MM running (or Lou did....whatever!)we moved to Kansas and my dad and I drove it the entire way with zero issues. The nicest part of the trip though was the very beginning....Lou had the MM in his shop when I got there and on the floor in front of the car was a new starter. What sweet noise it made when it cranked!

The second best part of this story is Kansas allows a restricted drivers license at age 14.

My first truck was a 1983 Chevrolet S10....manual transmission, Am/FM radio and nothing else. No PS, AC, actually no power anything and $5600 out the door.

1971 Chevy Nova SS, 350, 4 speed, bucket seats. Fun car and I kept it for almost 20 years before selling it to a friend who still has it.

I'm OLD!

My uncle gave me his '53 Olds Super 88 that had been in an accident. I never got it on the road. My first driver was a '57 DeSoto Fireflite 345 Hemi Pushbutton Torqueflite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back