List your first car or truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
First one I could call my own was a 1997 Saturn SL2, bought new. I had told myself once I graduated from college and got a job, I was buying a NEW car, no matter how basic. Forest green, tan interior, and a five speed. It was a good little car, got 128,000 miles and 7 years out of it before I needed something larger.

It survived having a tree branch fall through the windshield during a thunderstorm, but the body shop fixed it up good as new. After a few months I think I finally got all the fragments of glass out of the ventilation system.

About the only time it nearly let me down was when a gear shift cable clip popped out in mid flight on the road, and I couldn't reach first or second gear. Coincidentally, it happened right in front of the Saturn dealer, which was closed at the time. I managed to limp home carefully starting out in third, and doctored a breather filter clip with some tin snips to make a makeshift clip until I could get back to the dealer.

1972 Mercury Comet 4dr auto 250cu six with a single-barrel carburetor rated at 98 hp. Used of course. White with a canvas brown roof. I was 16yo.

No AC, very simple 1st car. Didn't have much power, didn't get great fuel economy. Vinyl seats. Manual floor vents. Crank windows. Rear fan defrost. Handled like a big car. Solid though, a caddy hit me once and it didn't even scratch it, but dented the caddy. I bumped a concrete parking post once, just shined the big chrome bumper in that spot.

It would do 100mph...barely...after about 5 minutes of pedal to the metal....the doors would vibrate at that speed though.

I put my first stereo in that car, Radio Shack Realistic with 5band EQ, under dash amp with 11 band EQ 25W/channel at 10% THD..nasty I know, but it was mine and I didn't know any better. 6x9 in the back it would thump pretty good.

I still look back in fondness, nothing magical ever happened in it, or with it, but when I came home after I had been gone for a couple of years to find my my parents had sold it.

Last edited:
I must be younger than most on here!

My first car is the one I still own - the 2005 Cobalt in my signature line. Bought it the summer after my freshman year in college.

1974 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme. Blue w/white Landau top,white vinyl bucket seats,chrome shifter,Rocket 350 engine,and matching blue Cutlass wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Don't laugh....

1975 AMC Matador.

258/auto with AMC20 rear end. In other words, a Jeep car.

Hey, I'm not laughing. My best friend who helped me with the engine swap in my Rancho had a '74 Ambassador. But his was a 360. That's when I learned just what a parts-bin car an AMC was: AMC-built body and engine, Ford alternator, starter, regulator, and AC (actually York, but Ford was known for using York), Chrysler Torqueflite trans (which AMC called 'TorqueCommand'), and a Motorcraft 2V carburetor. It was actually a really solid car, ugly as sin but solid.

Originally Posted By: Russ300H
I'm OLD!

My uncle gave me his '53 Olds Super 88 that had been in an accident. I never got it on the road. My first driver was a '57 DeSoto Fireflite 345 Hemi Pushbutton Torqueflite

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
1974 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme. Blue w/white Landau top,white vinyl bucket seats,chrome shifter,Rocket 350 engine,and matching blue Cutlass wheels.

1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Silver w/black Landau top, black vinyl bucket seats, chrome shifter, Rocket 350 and the silver Cutlass hub caps
smile.gif

First truck was a 1989 F-250 2WD with the 300 I6 backed by a C6 and 4.11's. It was screaming at 120Km/h and certainly wouldn't have met anybody's definition of fast, but it would pull the proverbial poophole out of the world.

I got my first vehicle in 1988 at 16 years old. It was a 1979 Datsun 620 King Cab pickup handed down to me from my grandfather with 200k+ and a broken odometer. The old truck wasn't reliable and I had to work on it all the time. In Jan 1990 I had a job and a college scholarship to play baseball(freed up money for mom and dad) I walked into a Kawasaki dealership and got approved for a loan for a brand new Kawasaki Ninja which sent my mom for a loop (nut-jobs would have sold to anyone). My dad was cool with it because he grew up riding a MC to school and work. 2 days later a brand new Red Isuzu Pickup was in the driveway. The scholarship made it possible for mom and dad to make the payments while I was playing ball in College.... $123 a month, vastly cheaper than paying for college. What I wouldn't give to have a car payment like that again! When I left college and signed my first contract in 1992 I paid the truck off and drove it until 1995.

On another note I would love to have my dads old cars:
1958 Chevy Belaire sold to buy the 1957 Chevy Belaire, and the real heart breakers are the: 1957 Chevy Corvette convertible, and the 1969 Chevelle SS 396.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I must be younger than most on here!

My first car is the one I still own - the 2005 Cobalt in my signature line. Bought it the summer after my freshman year in college.

You and I both. Looks like I'm a year older than you.

1985 Buick Skyhawk 4-door sedan. 2.0 auto.

Was proud of it as my first car, but what a POS...steering rack a week after I bought it, and it just went downhill from there...

1989 mazda 323 given to me as a hand me down when my grandma died.

First car I bought with my own money which I thought was entirely sensible and awesome and a good decision was a 1982 cadillac cimarron 1.8/ 3 spd auto... in 1999! I sold it a year later to a dude who parked it in his driveway and just left it there to rot!

Previous owner put a rebuilt carb in, $550 in 1990's money, and even then it flooded on me wicked. Had to know exactly how warm the motor was and had one shot to get it right before cranking. It was a 2 bbl carb though and made an awesome noise (though not much motion) with the pedal down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back