Liquimoly Radiator Stop Leak

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Giving it a shot. My VW Golf Sportwagen has an intermittent leak from the joint between the water pump and thermostat housing. VWs really have coolant leak issues/super common. It's under warranty but they already pressure tested it and said no-go b/c it didn't leak during the test. You can clearly see the white dried coolant... oh well. I'm closing in being out of warranty, have heavily modified it, and at this point I figure for $6 it's not going to hurt it. Added it to the expansion tank cold per LM's instructions. Got it up to temp, turned the heat on, and drove it around. We will see. 1 can treats 2.5L which is the volume of coolant that VW says I have. At some point the intake manifold is coming off to do a walnut blast/carbon cleaning and maybe replacing it with an Euro MPI manifold for a "stage 3" upgrade. With VW's track record of these parts on the MQB 4-bangers, I'd replace the water pump/therm housing anyway. I'll report back after a few weeks. This stuff is supposed to be "new gen" and can actually be used as a preventitive per LM. Why not. A white colored stop leak is strange to me and you can actually see what appears to be green colored dots in the goo.

20210827_185514_2.jpg
20210827_185530.jpg

My Golf MK III winterbeater started to use coolant, a little bit, but noticeable. These cars are notorius for leaking heater cores, you have to remove the dashboard to do the repair.... Oh yeah.
I added this stuff per instructions, drove around. Car was sitting for a few days afterwards. As i started it again a very strong "Chemical" smell came out of the air vents for a few seconds. The smell never come back and the coolant use was gone.

My Golf MK III winterbeater started to use coolant, a little bit, but noticeable. These cars are notorius for leaking heater cores, you have to remove the dashboard to do the repair.... Oh yeah.
I added this stuff per instructions, drove around. Car was sitting for a few days afterwards. As i started it again a very strong "Chemical" smell came out of the air vents for a few seconds. The smell never come back and the coolant use was gone.
Great outcome! The newer MK7 stuff is solid BUT the water pump/thermostat housings are notorious for leaking. Mine is v. small/intermittent and is from the v. thin rubber seal between the pump/therm housing. This should sort it out until I can replace at some point. Folks here poo poo anything like this but these products have their place.

I've only used their motor oil saver. I think their products are good. Are you going to change the rad or leave it for a while and keep and eye on it?

I've only used their motor oil saver. I think their products are good. Are you going to change the rad or leave it for a while and keep and eye on it?
What do you mean by "change the rad"? I just went out and beat on it for 30 min, no leaky leak!

I haven't used any radiator stop leak in a long time, but it does have its moments. I knocked a hole in a radiator on a 75 F-100 with a wrench and put bars stop leak in it and that radiator still doesn't leak 20yrs later..
BARS! I had a '67 Cougar that all sorts of coolant leaking issues....Bars sorted it.

ehhhh.....
father 20y ago used that on nissan primera, but back then it looked like coffee bottom.... now its like spit..
it did "help" but also locked the termostat.....
we had to use full heating during summer holiday to keep temp in limits....NOT AMUSED

ehhhh.....
father 20y ago used that on nissan primera, but back then it looked like coffee bottom.... now its like spit..
it did "help" but also locked the termostat.....
we had to use full heating during summer holiday to keep temp in limits....NOT AMUSED
Different time/different tech products. Spit is a good description!

My son's '86 528e college beater had a bad heater core that was maintained with 1/2 bottles of Bars Leaks every 6 months or so. Lots cheaper than R+R'ing the core.

Beat on it today in the mid-90s mid-Atlantic. No signs of any more leaking from that joint. Will continue to monitor. It was sporadic so nothing conclusive yet but the frequency lately was increasing.

Have you looked at the coolant since pouring in, does it change the look, foggy or discolored?

Bar's stop leak tablets the one made from ginger root. That would be my choice, until I had the time for the proper repair.
Wouldn't this style of solid stop leak be a potential cause for other things getting stopped up in the cooling system? This LM stuff reminds me of tubeless tire sealant in mountainbike tires - liquid carrier with latex and cornmeal that when released through leaks/holes seals them somewhat permanently. This stuff doesn't look like it has solids in it to me but those green fleks almost look like glitter.....and you know folks have used glitter in the before mentioned tubeless tire sealant as the "chunkulator"...

Last edited:
Have you looked at the coolant since pouring in, does it change the look, foggy or discolored?
Still appears pink to me. Will take the reservoir cap off tomorrow morning and have a better look/report back.

Back