Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20 VW MK7 GLI EA888 Gen 3

Adding to the database for those curious..
Car has been stage 1 for about 12K miles

1667225078677.png

Call me crazy but I don't understand running a 0w20 in an EA888. I'll stick with 0w40 or 5w40 but I stay in boost a lot and would worry about heat. I'm sure my reasoning is antiquated.

This just reminded me that I'm over 6k miles on my GTI's oil change. I better get to it tomorrow.

Its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on this one. I have a 2019 tig and have been using the 0-20w. Can not get a straight answer about changing to a different weight oil and still stay within the boundaries of my engine warranty. It appears 0-20w with a 508 rating is the only way to go, but there are better options out there in the 0 to 40w range.

Its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on this one. I have a 2019 tig and have been using the 0-20w. Can not get a straight answer about changing to a different weight oil and still stay within the boundaries of my engine warranty. It appears 0-20w with a 508 rating is the only way to go, but there are better options out there in the 0 to 40w range.
No, the straight answer is IF you want to stay with-in the boundries of your engine warranty (at least in the US), you MUST use VW508.00, which currently is only available in 0W-20. The choice is yours, but for me I will push the boundries and run a VW504.00 that gives me the higher HTHS I believe would protect a turbo D/I engine a bit better. Especially with the fact these engines are know to be fuel diluters which does not play well with lighter grade oils. YMMV.

The Top Tech 6200 is what I’ve been using. FCP Euro has a decent price on the oil change kit. After the warranty is up, I’ll probably switch to a 504.00/507.00.

No, the straight answer is IF you want to stay with-in the boundries of your engine warranty (at least in the US), you MUST use VW508.00, which currently is only available in 0W-20. The choice is yours, but for me I will push the boundries and run a VW504.00 that gives me the higher HTHS I believe would protect a turbo D/I engine a bit better. Especially with the fact these engines are know to be fuel diluters which does not play well with lighter grade oils. YMMV.

Mine is old enough to still call for 502 so I'm running Mobil 1 0w40 as of this last change. I think the dealer did 5w40 Castrol previously but I can't be sure. Regardless of what they've used fuel economy hasn't changed. Not that I expected it to change.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the only thing 508 gives you is better gas mileage (due to its low viscosity). There is nothing else special in the standard.

Back